Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Misunderstood Piece of Vintage

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Add me on to the tie girls as well! LOVE the way a tie looks with a button up shirt and fedora. Makes me feel rather reporter girl-ish.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a pink-and-white seersucker shirtwaist dress with lace trim on the collar that I absolutely love for hot summer days. However, most everyone who sees me in it assumes that I'm either a waitress in a funky theme restaurant or a seriously-retro hairdresser.

magneto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I have a pink-and-white seersucker shirtwaist dress with lace trim on the collar that I absolutely love for hot summer days. However, most everyone who sees me in it assumes that I'm either a waitress in a funky theme restaurant or a seriously-retro hairdresser.

As the kids say, "duh!". If you were a waitress or hairdresser you'd be chewing and snapping gum.. something no lady of your taste and refinement would be doing :)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Well, I'm cheating here... Sometimes I wear 15th Century plate and mail armour around town as I do medieaval reanactment and borrow the gear from a friend. I can't resist going into town on the bus wearing it and sitting outside a cafe. The thing is (here's where the cheat comes in) being England, the only people who take any notice are the tourists, so I don't really draw any stares.
Alan

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's awesome. I've done the same thing in Victorian, Regency, or 18th century, but it's usually on the way to an event :D

CharlieH.

One Too Many
My most misunderstood piece has to be my first fedora. (not vintage, but it certainly looked good) It's black and it had a little feather. I liked the certain "alpine" feel it had.

Everyone honestly believed I was dressing like a pimp whenever I wore it.

The second most misunderstood? The spectators (again, repro). The first time I took 'em out, a couple of unrelated dopes asked if I was trying to impersonate Michael Jackson.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedoras

According to the geniuses who populate this town, the only man who ever wore a fedora in all recorded history was Al Capone. It's weird, put on a well-cut suit (as in vintage) with its tailored shape and stout wool fabrication, and I'm instantly respected; perhaps I'm a lawyer, or a doctor, someone deserving of respect because clearly the suit is well-made and isn't from some discount menswear store. Add the hat, though, and instantly the 'lawyer' becomes a 'weirdo'.

As Charlie H has pointed out, spectators aren't far behind in the stare factor stakes.

I do love seeing ladies in gloves!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:

Yeah, seersucker is something that has, over the decades become the 'flip a burger' fabric. Especially pink and blue. Yellow is kina neutral, but made of the wrong type of garment, say a button up dress, dont be surprised if someone asks you for a milkshake. :eek:

LD

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Anything Pink!

I love dusty pink vintage gab shirts, and if I could afford some, I'd wear pink vintage slacks too!

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Like Charlie H and Benny, my most understood piece would be fedoras. They definitely receive the most prolonged looks.

Second would have to be watches. I have a couple of vintage watches, one being a 1948 Elgin. Watches were much smaller back then as they didn't have all of the bells and whistles of today's models. I constantly get questions asking if it is a women's watch! It's not even that small, but I guess that is is small in relation to new watches. After having the conversation, people are amazed that the watch TICKS.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I see the same people at school every day at school. After the first year of me wearing vintage, No one gave me a second glance anymore.

I can get away with just about anything now.
hats, suits, jackets, vests, ties, I do it all, and no one cares. Any punk freshman gives me hastle I just stuff them in a locker. (kidding!)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
hey everyone, this is my first post! ive been a lurker for quite awhile, but ive finally decided to bite the bullet and join in!

i would definitely have to say my most misunderstood vintage piece among EVERYONE i know is my 1940's deadstock pink satin open-bottom high-waisted girdle. my friends can appreciate its beauty, but they have no clue as to why i wear it, or any other girdles! ive even worn girdles under 60's style mini dresses when ive gone out dancing at bars just so i would have a nice foundation for my dress!

everyone thinks id be dying in one of those things, and yeah, its a relief to get it off at the end of the day, but im such a sucker for vintage lingerie that im willing to forgo breathing for them!

Rosie

One Too Many
Yeah, I was a away this weekend and shared a room with two cousins, they are used to my style of dressing but since we haven't "stayed the night" with one another since we were kids, they haven't really seen me getting ready. They were just so amazed because they felt I did a lot to ready myself for public viewing. Where as they were just showering, lotioning up and throwing on their clothes, I had other things to do, putting my hair in rolls, adding flowers to my hair, putting my snood on properly, the makeup, the parasol, the gloves, all those little extras. This isn't why I dress this way but, the proof was in the pudding, whenever we ventured out doors people stopped to compliment me or asked where I got this or that, total strangers ran across the boardwalk or the street to compliment my style, this weekend, the first time in a looong time, I didn't feel that misunderstood.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to wear military fatigues, some camoflauge, to work in the warehouse where I was employed back in the time before everybody began wearing them. This was early 70s and I still had my jungle boots which were comfortable so I wore those too. That retro "look" became a fashion statement later with every conceivable clothing and accessory item being produced in camo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner