Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Misunderstood Piece of Vintage

Girl Friday

Practically Family
tallyho said:
I used to wear a tweed hunting jacket with riding breeches/jodgspurs ( the old kind with the puffed out sides) and english tan field boots. you can imagine the stares, especially when I had the english tan riding crop with me!
I used to have a pair of jodhpurs, I loved them they were so comfortable! I miss them.:cry: I think they were military not sure, they were brown and had buttons down the calf.

I say wear whatever you want to! I see people wearing pants 5 times too big for them with their underpants hanging out...and they probably think THAT looks good.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
For me the first was the allen edmond broadstreets. I have the brown and whites and the black and whites. I wear them every day to work with a fedora and shirt and tie. For the first year, everyone looked at me and thought I was weird. Now I am know as the "guy with the hat" or "guy with the shoes."

I am also known for my zoot suits. I still get a lot of stares when I walk into a resturant in a purple zoot suit, with a fedora and black and whites on. But I always get seated on time or early. :) Though I do hate the "yo, dude, you be pimpin'" comments

-D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, brother...

TwoToneDeuce said:
...I do hate the "yo, dude, you be pimpin'" comments

-D
:mad: :mad: :mad:
The next bloody moron who refers to ANY of my fedoras as "Your pimp-daddy hat" had better be able to run faster than I can. It is simply PATHETIC when the sole frame of refrence that exists for those under 40 yrs. old is a "Pimp Daddy" :rage: :rage: :rage:

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Rick Blaine said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
The next bloody moron who refers to ANY of my fedoras as "Your pimp-daddy hat" had better be able to run faster than I can. It is simply PATHETIC when the sole frame of refrence that exists for those under 40 yrs. old is a "Pimp Daddy" :rage: :rage: :rage:

LOL, I agree. It irritates me greatly. So much so I rarely even respond to them anymore. I could at least tolerate someone saying "Yo, G, you look like a gangsta" if they pronounced it "gangster." As "gangsta" and "gangster" are totally different.

-D

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm annoyed by either, really. If the only connection people can make with a high-quality suit, hat and an unusual tie and shoes is silly Hollywood crime fiction, they need to get out more.

It falls back to people being made uncomfortable by things they're not used to seeing. Some of them feel the need to comment in order to make themselves feel comfortable.

Sure, many of us dress in manners that are outdated, but it usually looks classy, as opposed to the common man's day-to-day ensemble of denim pants and a t-shirt of some variety.

Yeah, I DO dress this way just to be different!

My most misunderstood items are usually the shoes and ties. If I were to wear my more conservative shoes and a modern tie and leave the fedora at home, I'd be a guy in a nice suit...instead of a picture of the past.

Rosie

One Too Many
Same thing here. One of my cousins, whom I haven't seen in quite some time, showed me a picture of a flapper and said "Look, it's you :D ". I just looked at her as my best friend cousin told her, "She's not a flapper numbskull, go put that picture back and pick up a history book." That was pretty funny.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
The Wingnut said:
I'm annoyed by either, really. If the only connection people can make with a high-quality suit, hat and an unusual tie and shoes is silly Hollywood crime fiction, they need to get out more.

It falls back to people being made uncomfortable by things they're not used to seeing. Some of them feel the need to comment in order to make themselves feel comfortable.

Sure, many of us dress in manners that are outdated, but it usually looks classy, as opposed to the common man's day-to-day ensemble of denim pants and a t-shirt of some variety.

Yeah, I DO dress this way just to be different!

My most misunderstood items are usually the shoes and ties. If I were to wear my more conservative shoes and a modern tie and leave the fedora at home, I'd be a guy in a nice suit...instead of a picture of the past.

Most of the people I am talking about, have never even seen the "good" hollywood fiction. But if they are going to catagorize my look into an area, I much perfer the "hollywood glamour" of the gangster to the sleaze of the 70's pimp.

We all know we dress differently and we like the compliments that we get for looking classy and much better than the average man. I just wish people knew what look I was going for.

Yep, a change of shoes with no hat and a modern tie and you are just well dressed. I like being a picture of the past.

-D

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I bought my boyfriend a straw Pork Pie for our year anniversary, his friend called it a "insert expletive here" hat :mad: Sometimes you just have to sigh. I guess there are a few people out there that never matured past the third grade.

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
My most misunderstood vintage piece(s) would be WW2 three buckle riding boots,i wear these horse riding and i get a lot of " are they nazi boots?"
I used to respond that they are US riding boots and have rant about "these boots went to war against nazis" but have lone given up.
Sam

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Sam Cox said:
My most misunderstood vintage piece(s) would be WW2 three buckle riding boots,i wear these horse riding and i get a lot of " are they nazi boots?"
I used to respond that they are US riding boots and have rant about "these boots went to war against nazis" but have lone given up.
Sam

They aren't black, are they? I have a SS uniform and brown boots are not part of that uniform. I think a few of the German Army uniforms wore brown boots but few people would know that. The typical uniform that is remembered by most people is the Allgemeine SS uniform http://www.militariacollection.com/immagini/third reich/ss-algemaine.jpg I think I know the boots you speak of and they were usually associated with British uniforms. Very strange.

-D

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
TwoToneDeuce said:
They aren't black, are they? I have a SS uniform and brown boots are not part of that uniform. I think a few of the German Army uniforms wore brown boots but few people would know that. The typical uniform that is remembered by most people is the Allgemeine SS uniform http://www.militariacollection.com/immagini/third reich/ss-algemaine.jpg I think I know the boots you speak of and they were usually associated with British uniforms. Very strange.

-D
They are the brown legging top field boot worn by us horse cavalry,horse artillery and post war constabulary horse platoons
not black but people see boots and breeches and assume the worst
sam

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
TwoToneDeuce said:
I have a SS uniform ...

[huh] As long as I live, I'll never understand why anyone but a Nazi would want to be near such a uniform, authentic or not.

I'm not judging you, TwoTone. I'm just incapable of understanding your motivation for owning such a thing.

I knew a guy who happily purchased a leather whip used by a concentration camp guard at Dachau. He and his girlfriend enjoyed "playing" with it. Frankly, I couldn't get near him after that.

Mulceber

Practically Family
ditto.

I'd name my most commented on piece of vintage garb, but I haven't got enough for any one to be considered the most outlandish. -Mulceber

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hello

Just reading the comments about clamdiggers. Here in Australia they are all the rage in summer, in fact when I was in LA last year because it was warm I wore them over there, and didn't notice anyone looking at me strangely, but I probably did look like a tourist. I think the reason I didn't notice any looks was that I wear them all the time at home in Summer, and was totally comfortable in them.

My most outrageous vintage items would be my 3 pc suits, just the cut and high waisted pants, shorter vests etc can sometimes raise a few stares over here. Who cares though, they look amazing!

Cheers

3pc

Barry

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
[huh]
I knew a guy who happily purchased a leather whip used by a concentration camp guard at Dachau. He and his girlfriend enjoyed "playing" with it. Frankly, I couldn't get near him after that.

A roommate of mine in college collected all sorts of odd and disturbing items with his father including a gun that was used in a shootout with Dillinger, a plaster bust of Hitler made during the war by a german schoolgirl (on the bar downstairs in the basement!), and an exact replica of an electric chair made by a carpenter/manufacturer who made it for a state, I don't remeber which. The chair was also in the basement.

I remember my roommate saying that the most prized possession - which was sold years and years ago - was Goering's cap. He said they proved the provenance of the hat and sold it to some collector. I'd be interested to find out if this is really true.

Barry

EvantheDiplomat

New in Town
My Seersucker Suit

OK It's not vintage but it remains unchanged. I bought it when I was serving in Argentina and I use occasionally it here in Sri Lanka, but I get a ribbings from my colleagues (except the ones from the deep south) and the occasional eyebrow from my wife. I wonder if I would look less like a character from a musical if I wore it with a plain white shirt and black tie.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
It's the spats, go figure.

I love it when some teen with pierced eyebrows, a tattooed neck and a stocking cap in summer asks "What are you wearing those things for?"

Of all the people to explain individual taste to...

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Pink Slacks

resortes805 said:
I love dusty pink vintage gab shirts, and if I could afford some, I'd wear pink vintage slacks too!

I had 2 pair of the Zoot style in the 50's, all the same theme.
Pink with a black stripe going down the seam and "seriously" pegged legs.
The other pair was Black w/pink stripe.

These were ony worn at "formal" affairs, like a sock hop at the West Side (Scranton Pa.) boys club on friday nights.

As an aside, I also had a '56 Plymouth Fury 4dr Ht, pushputton automatic in- you guessed it- Pink & Black.

Thanks for this thread, I am enjoying the flashbacks (also had clamdiggers with rope belt)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aquia33 said:
I had 2 pair of the Zoot style in the 50's, all the same theme.
Pink with a black stripe going down the seam and "seriously" pegged legs.
The other pair was Black w/pink stripe.

These were ony worn at "formal" affairs, like a sock hop at the West Side (Scranton Pa.) boys club on friday nights.

As an aside, I also had a '56 Plymouth Fury 4dr Ht, pushputton automatic in- you guessed it- Pink & Black.

Thanks for this thread, I am enjoying the flashbacks (also had clamdiggers with rope belt)
See, this was the whole point of this thread.....something that was commonplace then (I LOVE that you wore pink and black slacks to "formal" events!), are things that are just so lost in time that no one "gets it"!
Even though I don't wear the dreaded clamdiggers much anymore, I DO wear pretty wild vintage clothes. People always ask "Who would have worn something like THAT in the FIFTIES??"
Now I can say "Well, maybe some kid going to a sock hop on a Friday night............"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner