Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know we do not always like to consider ourselves members of a Subculture or a Scene, but there is a loose set of preferences most of us have, a set of common interests we share or else we wouldn't be here ... what I want to know here is, WHAT ABOUT YOU IS UTTERLY NON-VINTAGE.

Some of us, such as our good Jovan, have been bold enough to admit it -- in his case, he had the courage to state that he found Humphrey Bogart overrated, an opinion I do not agree with, but which I will fight to the death that he might express.

And now it's your turn. The purpose of this conversation (if anyone joins it) isn't to argue about the MERIT of artists, shoe styles, etc, but rather to admit that you hate something that you think everyone else here loves ... to risk blackballing yourself willingly from [this] polite society with your honesty.

For me? Besides my not-so-secret love for various terminally uncool rock groups from the 1970s ---here goes:

I cannot bloody stand Frank Sinatra. The failure to hit a note on key. The insincere emoting. The limp lyrics. A singer should either be able to hit a note (like most opera singers) or else sound emotionally sincere (like a punk singer and like most opera singers). But I don't hear either from the man.

Who's next?

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I think this is what you are looking for:

I'm a tech supervisor for a worldwide internet hosting and marketing company.

That is probably the most non-vintage thing about me.

On a side note I enjoy Sinatra... and Michael Buble. :)

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
I have already outed myself for my complete, total, and utter dependence on non-Golden Age technologies--being away from the Net feels like I've been lobotomized, for one. Does that count?

Lol I've felt that way at times.... You just need to break away from the computer from time to time. :)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Going out on a limb here...I am sick unto DEATH of seeing vintage rockabilly girls with the same dyed-black-hair-and-Bettie-bangs look. It's like they are clones. And they always have a million tattoos, which in and of itself I don't mind, but they all look the SAME. I find it ironic because I am sure they think they are being non-conformists, but aren't they really just trading one conformity for another?

Now, before anyone climbs all over my booty, let me say that most of the ones I am talking about are very young and new to the scene, and have more attitude than you can shake Bettie Page at. I love the idea of anyone at all re-creating a vintage look, but I hate it when it's all the same thing all the time! I am not perfectly vintage all the time, but I do try to make the look my own.

I think it's more the attitude that I hate, really...the "I am more vintage than you" bull that I come across sometimes. I just don't have time to think about that kind of crap. I just want to do my own thing, look nice along the way, and get along.

End of rant! Great thread, by the way...let's see who is feeling REALLY brave and honest today. :p

Interesting, RHRH--I'm with you on the "clone effect", also. :arated: The thing about having your own personal riff on a given style "theme", whatever theme you may choose, is always important. (This is part of why I generally depart from the Mac "theme" by favoring black coats, symbolically blending the stylistic theme with my own darker attributes and personality...)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My vegetarian diet was probably very unusual in the Golden Era (in the Western part of the world, at least), though pretty much everything about how I cook is traditional -- I prefer to make everything from scratch. It's healthier, tastier and much more fun to prepare and eat.

I can't imagine that many women in the Golden Era did Wushu and Kenpo Karate!

I've never worn a girdle, and I don't plan to. Fortunately, I have a natural 24-inch waist...for now.

My taste in music often strays far from the classic tunes.

Though I keep a rotary dial telephone in my room, I often enjoy the luxuries of the cordless phone.

Cold creme makes me break out (though I cleanse with pure oils, and often make my own skincare products).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm probably with everyone else here when I say that I cannot live without the internet. I mean come on, we couldn't even be having this thread if it weren't for the internet! (or any other threads come to think of it)

And while I smile and am fond of the vintage tube phonograph that I have, I sometimes feel frustrated with how long it takes to warm all the way up and produce an even sound.

Just times like that when I need to pull out my one-year old Creative Zen Vision M 30Gig MP3 player and crank out the music. lol And sometimes I do listen to techno music...:eek:

Other than that, I can't really think of anything in the Golden Era that I don't really like. I'm sure I could think of something if I put my mind to it for long enough. But video games and techno music-that's pretty non-vintage.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
It's nice to take what you need from both the vintage and modern world and make it your own unique blend of life!
:eek:fftopic: Geisha-be funny to see a girdled lady do karate, huh? I wonder if you even could....and I can't stand cold cream.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
RedHotRidinHood said:
Going out on a limb here...I am sick unto DEATH of seeing vintage rockabilly girls with the same dyed-black-hair-and-Bettie-bangs look. It's like they are clones. And they always have a million tattoos, which in and of itself I don't mind, but they all look the SAME. I find it ironic because I am sure they think they are being non-conformists, but aren't they really just trading one conformity for another?

Now, before anyone climbs all over my booty, let me say that most of the ones I am talking about are very young and new to the scene, and have more attitude than you can shake Bettie Page at. I love the idea of anyone at all re-creating a vintage look, but I hate it when it's all the same thing all the time! I am not perfectly vintage all the time, but I do try to make the look my own.

I think it's more the attitude that I hate, really...the "I am more vintage than you" bull that I come across sometimes. I just don't have time to think about that kind of crap. I just want to do my own thing, look nice along the way, and get along.

End of rant! Great thread, by the way...let's see who is feeling REALLY brave and honest today. :p

I definitely see where you're coming from...I don't particularly understand how baby bangs and a bandana make one "vintage," but I see it everywhere! I don't particularly mind it, but I wish they saw beyond the "greaser" thing...and realized that Bettie Page is not the end-all be-all of pin-ups.

Stranger yet is when people refer to ME as either a "greaser", or "rockabilly" or even "psychobilly" because of my style. I have an appreciation for vintage cars, but I honestly prefer my two feet as my method of transportation...and I'm DEFINITELY a human being, not a genre of music.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
gluegungeisha said:
I definitely see where you're coming from...I don't particularly understand how baby bangs and a bandana make one "vintage," but I see it everywhere! I don't particularly mind it, but I wish they saw beyond the "greaser" thing...and realized that Bettie Page is not the end-all be-all of pin-ups.

Stranger yet is when people refer to ME as either a "greaser", or "rockabilly" or even "psychobilly" because of my style. I have an appreciation for vintage cars, but I honestly prefer my two feet as my method of transportation...and I'm DEFINITELY a human being, not a genre of music.

Hehehehe...yep, I agree! I dig old cars too, and would love to have one, but I am more the Betty Crocker housewife than the teenage delinquent anyway. And I do love Bettie, but there is so much more to pinups than just her!

I don't know how anyone could look at you and think "greaser"!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
-I'm given to information-age memes. Now and then you'll hear me spout stuff like "I for one welcome our _______ overlords," or "It does it automagically."
-I can't dance. (And not because I've got ants in my pants.)
-I think the differences between the sexes are made too much of, except for, well, you know.
-I crave air conditioning and wicking t shirts, because I sweat like a beer bottle.
-I can't drive a clutch. I want LizzieMaine to teach me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Vintage celebrities I don't care for:
Frank Sinatra
Erroll Flynn
Katharine Hepburn
Bing Crosby
Vivien Leigh

I have 6 tattoos. I'll be getting a few more. All in semi-concealed places so I can show them when I want!

My favourite era for music is late 70s/early 80s punk and new wave. I'm also a sucker for any and ALL insipid pop songs from the 80s and early 90s. Rick Astley, Tiffany, New Kids On The Block -- all secret loves of mine as a teenager. Now I'll tell anyone while blaring them from my stereo!

I LOVE THE 80S!!! :p

I hang out with more "punk" and "rockabilly" type people than vintage type people. When it comes to my obsession with the 20s and 30s, I'm all alone!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
The unvintage that I dig:
-car stereos with a CD player (an iPod probably works, too)
-leniant censorship on cable television
-the wonders of gmail
-word processors
-TV series released in DVD sets
-oversaturated ethnic restaurants
-jeans
-being unique because I like things from the golden era

The vintage that I don't dig:
-men's hair styles
-spats
-Cary Grant
-cars before the 1960s (sorry)
-thin mustaches
-bathing suits

Brooksie

One Too Many
Quote by Amy Jeanne: My favourite era for music is late 70s/early 80s punk and new wave. I'm also a sucker for any and ALL insipid pop songs from the 80s and early 90s. Rick Astley, Tiffany, New Kids On The Block -- all secret loves of mine as a teenager. Now I'll tell anyone while blaring them from my stereo!

I LOVE THE 80S!!! :p
When it comes to my obsession with the 20s and 30s, I'm all alone![/QUOTE]

I am with you on this one Amy Jeanne, I love the 80's also, I don't have any desire to go back there fashion wise though. When it comes to music I like everything from classical, punk, rock n roll, surf music, blue grass, old time country (like Jonny Cash and Patsy Cline) and I love love love big band but forever my favorite was 80's new wave stuff! However it has been replaced by 20's jazz, I can't get enough of it. One other thing we have in common also is my obsession with the 20's and the 30's, I am also alone.

A few other things counter vintage about me... I too use all of the modern devices, CPU and i-net (duh, or else I wouldnt be here right now), fax machine, cordless phone, CD player and cell phone - which is only for emergencies (because I do not get cell service where I live out here in the sticks but I do when I am traveling on various parts of HWY 101 and also various parts along the way when I travel to Portland).

LB

green papaya

One Too Many
modern soft contact lenses are much better

I dont think I would want to wear the old hard contacts that they used back during the golden era

plus the eye glass lense materials these days are much better , they can make them thinner and lighter than before

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot