Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

Brooksie

One Too Many
Nikki,

Kill your T.V. is just my signature line but really the only time I watch tv is at my parents house and that is because they usually have one on somewhere every hour of the day or night:eek: - this is the reason why I say kill your T.V. because it will suck the life out of ya...

The last time I rented a DVD was about 4 months ago and usually see a movie at the theatre about once a year.

However, I have recently started watching the TCM channel (I hope I got the accranym right) on a weekly basis. Sorry my spelling sucks!

My thing is reading... I love reading books that are set durring King Aurther's time which is totally not golden era at all!!!!! Next I like to read about old time carnivals which can be golden era.

LB

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ahh.. TCM and HGTV are the only thing I miss about cable.

I love to read but have been too sucked into the net as of late to have any time to turn a page. I read mostly true crime stories, many by Ann Rule.

I started a true crimes book long ago, and actally there are some creepy ones in there from all eras.

Nikki

Technonut

Practically Family
And I have to admit that I would KILL for a 1972 Chevelle or a 1971 Dodge Challenger, just like in "Vanishing Point".

Sweetness.....Vanishing Point is a great movie! :eusa_clap I used to drive a 73 Cuda for awhile in High School... ;)

I don't particularly care for fedoras compared to other styles of hat.

Blasphemy! :eusa_doh:

Oh, well I didn't like Casablanca. Sorry...

Double Blasphemy! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Next I like to read about old time carnivals

I used to LOVE carnivals... In fact, I dated a girl once that was a weight guesser.... ;) I followed the carnival around to hang with her, and learned quite a bit about the life...

Elaina

One Too Many
The thing totally non-vintage about me is my total lack of societal snobbishness. I flat don't care if you're whatever label everyone else wants to put on you, I don't care if you're a flaming homosexual or a conservative Bible thumper, rich or poor, and I certainly could care less about keeping up with the Joneses. I can't afford to keep my house, and try to keep up with all the stuff others buy. I don't buy into the whole keeping it in the closet vintage attitude, period. I may be conservative to a point, but there is a lot about me that is unconventional, and frankly I would never want to be truly vintage in that respect.

My hippie chick days never really died.

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
Well there's quite alot that's un-vintage about myself.

I don't dress vintage all the time either. I take a lot of influence from Danish and Swedish street fashion and designers.

I adore trainers, mostly hi-tops and especially limited edition colourways and styles. I am slightly obsessed a trawl E-bay and many French and Japanese websites for rare models.

I'm very much into modern music too. European electro music and DJ's like Trentemoller, John Tejada and Modeselecter. French hip-hop like many of the artists on the Institubes record label, and dubstep. Dubstep is a popular genre which originated from the suburban outskirts of London. Very much orintated around that chav/staffordshire bull terrier subculture. Anything with a deep pounding bass and electronic blips and I love it. Well that's my secret.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Brooksie = I'm still stuck in the 80s! I wouldn't mind going back, bad fashion and all! I don't know if it was just me, but when I was growing up in the 80s there was still a lot of the "Golden Era" clinging on for dear life. And I was always eerily attracted to those types of things.

Doran = I absolutely cannot stand Sinatra. Or Bon Jovi or Bruce Springstein! I've lived in Jersey all my life and all I've ever heard was how "great" these guys were. I think they hardly live up to all this Jersey hype.

Salv

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
I don't particularly care for fedoras compared to other styles of hat.

*runs*

Don't run, we'll face off the fedora guys together...

Also there's very little pre-WW2 jazz that I like; it's mostly a little too polite and the drummers tend to be very bashful - that constant, unchanging tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk rhythm on the hi-hat just sends me to sleep.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
First of all Ive never had a fedora :eek:
I don't like jazz older than the 60s.
I never dress vintage:eusa_doh:
I have absolutely no vintage/golden era products in my household.:eek: -except for my raybans, 12 zippos and the Rolodex on my desk.
I think that 90% of golden era movies are boring.

All I care about is planes, uniforms, A2s etc from WWII. Especially Battle of Britain and the pilots from that era.

BUT I AM VINTAGE...anno 1945!!!!

Does that make me a very bad person?

*Quick halfroll and stick back* :D

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Brooksie said:
My thing is reading... I love reading books that are set durring King Aurther's time which is totally not golden era at all!!!!! Next I like to read about old time carnivals which can be golden era.

LB

Brooksie - I was on a King Arthur kick for years! I wish we lived closer, I would love to be able to swap books and have someone else to talk to them about! I haven't ever known anyone else to love the legend! How cool :D

As for me, I am a pretty modern girl. I am interested in the golden era, but I don't live much of it. I love punk (had a mohawk!) and Tori Amos and some other assorted stuff.

I don't much like Sinatra, either. Just never really understood his draw. And I think that some old movies are tedious with their slow pace. I am working on my patience, though :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The not liking of Sinatra is vintage. lol My dad, b.1924, couldn't stand him. "Too skinny. Sings with his hands in his pockets. Doesn't open his mouth to sing." I was shocked when first I heard these sentiments in the 1980s as I thought everybody liked Sinatra, who of course wasn't skinny anymore. Nor was my dad.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, having lived through it, and seen how it started and how it ended, I'm still fond of the hippy era 60's. I know it got quickly perverted, but for a while there it was real and true.
Dentistry: I've experienced those old fashioned belt driven, head rattling drills, NO FUN!!! Like a medieval torture device.
Sinatra: My mother's automatic response tp Sinatra's name was "Thug". But when I started listening to his earliest work with Tommy Dorsey and Harry James I changed my mind. I occasionally listen to Jonathan Schwartz until I can't stand him any more.
Is being a classical music lover un-vintage? Classical is # 1 with me, with Big Band a close second.
Interesting discussion about Betty Page. Won't add anything other than that I agree with everybody.
I didn't even have a driver's licence till age 56 (hey, I live in NYC!), but my girfriend, whose dad taught her at age about 12, taught me to drive a stick (sort of). It's fun, but hair raising.
Of course I'm an internet junky.
Is not being that much of a movie buff un-vintage?
Interesting thread, anyway.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Slightly:eek:fftopic:
dhermann1:
"taught me to drive a stick (sort of). It's fun, but hair raising."
Either you drive a stick -which IMO is the ONLY way to drive - or you drive (float) automatic....can you elaborate a little on the (sort of):)

RedPop4

One Too Many
Too many things to name, although I do like the era, in the abstract. I appreciate goods and products that are still extant, and display or use what little I might have. I have a healthy respect for history and continuity; I don't like to see old buildings with character torn down, I prefer to see them restored and utilized. This creates a continuum and link to the past.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like many I understand and use modern technology especially PCs. And while I enjoy owning a vintage auto and like them all, I wouldn't want to be forced to drive one over my El Dorado on a daily basis.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
Like many I understand and use modern technology especially PCs. And while I enjoy owning a vintage auto and like them all, I wouldn't want to be forced to drive one over my El Dorado on a daily basis.
You'd need a monster truck to drive over an Eldorado. lol
Pict0423.JPG

D

drafttek

Suits -I hate them. And the ties that go with them. I couldn't stand to wear one every day. I own one suit. It's my "Marryin' & Buryin' suit". I was married in it 15 years ago. I'll get the rest of my suit time in after I'm dead.

Sunny

One Too Many
Is Civil War reenacting non-vintage? Because that's my alter ego, if you will. I went to the Texas Rangers ballgame on Sunday. I watched the game with my feet (in fetching Re-mix wedges ;)) propped up on the wall and my lap full of muslin, hand-gathering a very full CW petticoat (with 19 1/4" tucks!) to a waistband. I have a mound of other garments at home, waiting for the completion of that petticoat to be immersed in liquid starch and hung on the dog leash clothesline. I wear a repro straw hat to work in the garden, and I'd rather have a pair of black Balmorals or a new cage than another pair of Re-mix wedges.

I also use technology. The Internet, most of all. It's terrific for researching CW topics (see above). And while I adore Old Time Radio, I'll make the OTR snobs mad because I only listen to mp3's. The nearly-inaccessible phonograph only plays LPs, and I don't collect records or transcription disks anyway. I don't even have a vintage radio or plans to get one. I listen to mp3's almost exclusively on the PC and off CDs in the car player. And I don't have a particular preference for either earlier or later OTR, either. Just because it was done in the 1930s doesn't mean it was better than it was in the 1950s, or vice versa; as a matter of fact the later ones are usually easier to find AND far easier to listen to.

I like DVDs, mainly my sets of (old) TV shows: "I Spy" and "Peter Gunn," and being able to play them on my computer. I also like movie soundtracks, and not really the old ones, either. North by Northwest is probably the oldest.

Air conditioning is pretty important down here. I do wish offices and public buildings didn't think they had to compensate for the heat outside by turning down the temperature inside. It's ridiculous to have to take a sweater to work and run a space heater because it's in the upper 60s-lower 70s, then trek across a 100+ degree parking lot and drive away a 120+ degree car. Grr.

Dislikes? I'm not particularly fond of Sinatra, either. Not a dislike; I just haven't listened to him much, and tend to prefer earlier styles and vocalists. I've never singled him out before, though. He's just not on my radar. (Although his radio show "Rocky Fortune" is quirkily entertaining, and his "Meatball Song" duet with Lou Costello is a hoot. lol)

To be frank, I'd hate to live under Roosevelt's presidency. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I do strongly dislike most of the "literature" written in the period. Those I read are either Inklings and others of that ilk, or mystery and sci fi writers disdained by lofty lit-types.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
For the most part I would say I flirt with the vintage life style. Like to look and learn. However, I will be the first to admit I love my modern creator comforrts.

As to the golden era, love the way men dressed and the escaped the movies offer. The thought of traveling by train instead of 35,000 feet in the air and being able to dine instead of having a bag of peanuts still sound romantic.

Being a newbie here, I am still just learning my away around the site. For now it is my best source of how to dress and live well.

Fleagirl

New in Town
I think the most vintage attribute about me is my husband. While I appreciate many things vintage (architecture, movies, music, literature), you wouldn't know it by looking at me. My husband, however, is visably drawn to past-eras.

We make an odd-looking couple sometimes!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
One other thing I thought of-if I lived during the "Golden Age", I would have probably gone to jail or gotten killed for my choice of mate-my beau is black and I am white, and we would not have been able to marry, much less live together, in most states at the time! He probably would have at least gone to jail and been treated badly, or been lynched. Us being together is not that big of a deal in this day and age, but I can't imagine what it would have been like to be so ostrasized. Also, he certainly would not have been able to work towards his master's degree in education like he is right now! Which would have been a shame, because he is a very intelligent man and so many doors would have been closed to him simply because he is black. So there is certainly alot to be said for the modern era and its changing attitudes towards race!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats