Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most romantic gesture?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was watching a whole lot of old movies while getting over a cold and got lost in the old art of romance. So, what had been your most romantic gesture? Not the most grand per say, but the one that got their attention, or the one you remember getting that just swept you away.

Im simple, and for me, it was the way this fella took my arm as we walked down the street. Simple sweet and charming.

So anyone else wish to share?

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have a few locked away that no matter how things ended still make me happy to remember.

On our first year anniversary my first boyfriend led me down some cliffs by the beach blindfolded at dusk to where he set up a card table with dinner and candles. It was just us, and even though the food was cold and he forgot a bottle opener, it was still incredably romantic.

Once I was working late and I saw my ex from my work window. I was the only person in the building. He pulled up his car and was blaring Frank Sinatra on his speakers. He whisked me up in his arms and we had a swing dance, right there in the parking lot of an industrial park and even though I'm sure I looked raggedy after workin all day on dresses it was lovely.

The same boyfriend wrote me a lovely little song for Christmas (he was a musician). He took me alone and serenaded me with his accoustic guitar the song he wrote me and gave me the song later all written down. It's one of the most beautiful things anyone has ever done for me.

Elaina

One Too Many
Best one I've ever done to someone was a man I was dating back in my wild (and thinner) days, I wanted his attention, he was more aloof then I cared for and I sprinkled Old Spice on his corvette I was lying across dressed in a head turning number.

We dated for 2 years. Not sure how romantic that was.

Probably the best was my husband asking me to be his wife on my birthday via a karoke song of Elvis.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is kind of silly, but it meant a lot to me. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted an Easter Basket. Being that I'm Jewish, I never got one. While in my early 20's I was engaged to a man. He knew that I always wanted to get the candy filled basket. I woke up one morning and there was a note on the pillow next to my head. It had a clue on it. To make a long story short, all of the clues led to different eggs with more clues, which eventually led me to the largest Easter Basket I'd ever seen. Complete with a giant 2Ft tall chocolate bunny, and a dozen red chocolate roses.

This same man surprised ma quite a few times. One time was he bid and bid on tickets to see Frank Sinatra, and although he broke the bank, he still bid until he won them. That evening was the most romantic night of my life.
Just one more. He had gone on his annual trip to Vegas with some friends. He called me every night to check in. He took the red eye home, so he came into the house while I was still asleep. When I woke up and rolled over I found a mikimoto pearl and emerald necklace on the pillow next to me. I later found out that he bought it the last night he was in Vegas, but early in the night. He carried the box in his suit coat pocket the entire night. He kept taking it out and showing it to different people, asking them if they thought I would like it. This was a big change for him. He was a guys guy, and never talked about his relationship with me with his guy friends. They all new me. But I guess he was trying to put on a macho facade. The guys all made fun of him, of course. They even jokingly bought him a plastic ball and chain, just to make fun of him a bit more. To me, it was the sweetest gesture next to when he proposed.
We never got married. He's not at the top of my list as far as friends go anymore. But, at least I have these nice memories of him. He did do a lot of sweet little gestures, like taking me on picnics or taking me to the circus, even though he hated it.

Rosie

One Too Many
In my early 20's, I was engaged to this guy. It was his birthday and normally, we made a big deal out of one another's big day but this year, I had work and class during the morning/day and evening and he had class during the day and had to work overnight. I made a huge dinner and a heart shaped chocolate cake and took a taxi to his job where at the time, he was working as an overnight security guard. On his lunch hour, we ate together, laughed and talked and I stayed at work with him until morning. He turned out to not be such a great guy but, ah well.

The last guy I dated seriously was great. He was a gentleman in every way when we were together. He brought me flowers regularly or had then sent to me. If we were sitting somewhere he always got up when I got up many times helping me whether or not it was necesarry, always helped me in and out of cars, up and down stairs. Kissed my hand and forehead upon our meeting and departure. He was just an overall, old fashioned kind of gentleman which I LOVED. Unfortunately, that turned out not to be who he really was but, that's a different story. :(

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My most fondly remembered gesture was quite simple but I still think of it 20 years later.

A gentleman friend of mine stopped by my work one summer afternoon and invited me to a classical concert that night. He took my hand during a meaningful moment and I think that was both of us realized we could be more than friends. When we left the hall the sun had gone down and I was a little cold in my sleeveless dress so he took his jacket off and put it around my shoulders.

I still remember feeling his warmth that still clung to the coat, the scent of his cologne and wool and the texture of the tweed against my cheek when I turned up the collar. He put his arm around me and I rested my head on his shoulder as we walked. It was a strange mix of feeling safe and excited all at once.

I don't know what the cologne was but every so often I'll get a whiff of it as some man passes me in an office or a mall and it always brings up pleasant memories. And, I admit, I always look up to see if it is Tom. So far it hasn't been.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
all of those tried and tested stock romantic gestures (flowers, candle-lit dinners) make me cringe. i don't use them, and i'd feel uncomfortable with a girl who demanded them. i think i AM a romantic person, but i refuse to resort to cliche to prove it. to me, romance is something spontaneous that happens between two people and and has meaning to them both. it could be the tiniest gesture imagineable, such as a glance.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
post it

Can a PostIt be romantic?
Guesse so. I once left one on a colleagues desk, simply saying:
You are the cream in my coffe.
24 years later we are still together - and she still is.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Gosh, after 33 years, this man still makes my heart skip a beat when he walks in the door! We leave little notes in each other's luggage when we are away from each other; he always reaches over and takes my hand when we're on a plane during take-offs and landings because I am fearful of them; he slips away and fills my car with gasoline without my knowing if I have an apppointment the next day; when he carried a pager, we would often enter, "1,2,3" which meant I love you and am thinking about you! He often fills up a hot bath for me, lights a candle in the room, and encourages me to go up and relax when my back is killing me; when he was still working and came home at 3 AM from his shift, I would often stay up and make him "dinner" at that hour. There are a million more, but the one that makes me smile the most is that every night for 33 years we have put toothpaste on each other's toothbrush when we go to bed, whether the other is home yet or not---coming home tired and exhausted, it is always sweet to know that your spouse was thinking of you when it was time for bed!

Novella

Practically Family
I tend to remember silly things, or maybe I haven't really experienced "romance" yet. I will always remember the day several years ago when a guy drove me all the way home to get socks. I'd gone with a big group of friends to the bowling alley, but I hadn't driven. When we got there I realized that I was wearing flip flops and hadn't remembered to bring socks. The person who drove me there was indifferent to my plight, but the guy I liked noticed that I was distressed about it, so he came over and volunteered to drive me all the way back to my house so I could get socks. I took him up on the offer, and that silly little incident is now glued in my mind. Forget that I went to prom with him, it's all about the socks, haha. Probably because it incapsulated what I liked so much about him, it was natural and not artificial. To me romance is for the movies and generally makes me uncomfortable in real life. The moments I truly remember are the little kind and thoughtful things.

farnham54

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
all of those tried and tested stock romantic gestures (flowers, candle-lit dinners) make me cringe. i don't use them, and i'd feel uncomfortable with a girl who demanded them. i think i AM a romantic person, but i refuse to resort to cliche to prove it. to me, romance is something spontaneous that happens between two people and and has meaning to them both. it could be the tiniest gesture imagineable, such as a glance.

Well, a candlelit dinner can very easily have meaning for two people--it's very Hollywood, but some folks like that.

Best I've done was when I was a bit hard-up for cash, and my girl knew it, so she got really concerned when I told her to wear her nicest. I got into my suit, we hopped in a cab and drove...

5 minutes to the neighborhood McDonalds, where I had arranged with the staff to have placesettings, candles, and they even allowed us to sneak in a bottle of Wine. Total cost for the eveining was about 20 bucks; the meal was crappy food but made delicious by the company.

Cheers
Craig

Barbigirl

Practically Family
A Goodbye Kiss on the Train

Several years ago my former guy and I commuted together by train every day, at this point we were living in different cities and I got off the train at the stop before his. I was leaving the following day to fly out and visit family over the holiday. We said our goodbyes and I gave him a kiss-just a peck-and made my way downstairs to detrain as the locomotive slowed down. Suddenly he appeared running down the stairs and said, "Wait! I forgot to give you something!"

I said, "You did? What?"

He grabbed me in a tight embrace and laid long deep, toe curling, break the Hayes production code kiss on me that left me weak. The train came to a stop with a jolt and we almost fell on the floor. The conductor was standing at the door and saw the whole scene play out, so he held the doors just a little longer than he should and let us finish our goodbyes.

I stepped off the train into the pouring rain. The door slid shut and the train pulled out taking him away from me. I was so taken with romance and emotion for him I stood and cried my eyes out getting soaking wet in the downpour.

OK, its not a vintage train but it was definately a scene from an old movie.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I like to try and remember Husband's name. Usually I get through the dogs, the cat, and most of the grocery list before I get to it, so when I get to it first time he knows I still care. ;)

Seriously though folks, the most romantic gestures I ever made were to give him my washing machine, and, on our wedding day we wrote our own vows and I promised to let him live his life whichever way he chose. Every man before that had to just put up with my as yet undeveloped and unromantic soul! :D

You may think the above is in jest? I am one of the most deeply unromantic women you will ever have the strange experience of meeting. And yet there is romance in the inexplicable, indeterminable, and truly just bizarre...

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I've never gone in for "packaged" romance -- I'm not saying getting a pretty bouquet of flowers or a nice box of chocolate can't be a very sweet gesture, but gestures don't do it for me. Our practice of courtship have become so ritualized, so prescribed, that it lacks a lot of the spontaneous joy that I feel is necessary for real romance. I don't want a man to make love to me with a pencil in one hand and a check-list of gestures in the other...the thought of going through a courtship with such a sense of expectation and formulaic performance is unbearable.

The most heart-stoppingly romantic moments of my life have all been tiny, insignificant things that were electrified by mutual attraction, timing, and mood. They were natural and unpolluted and very, very beautiful.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, perhaps people misunderstood the meaning of my topic. By gesture, I didnt mean per say some grand notion done in the movies, but what took YOU as profound, big or tiny, that you always remember.

There, hope that clears things up :)

LD

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, there have been several...
My college boyfriend went to the UK one summer. Among the places he visited: Stonehenge. He brought back a single yellow flower that was picked at Stonehenge back with him, which he had pressed while there.

Another boyfriend who felt sorry for the wool felt Indy fedora I had got me a fur felt Indy hat which he shaped himself...that was very special.

One friend found a early edition of AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh and attached a note saying he could imagine me reading this at night one day to my children (which I promise to do). Although a friend, I considered this a very sweet thing to do that deeply touched my heart.

When walking down a street, my fiance never lets me walk next to the street. He always puts himself between the street and me. Something about that makes me feel protected and more girly and just melts my heart.

Etienne

A-List Customer
OOOO I love kisses on trains, kissing hands, lending a helping hand, men being chivalrous, and unexpected, perfectly timed moments of heart-stopping wonder! We are very fortunate, ladies, to be sure!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass