Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Ain’t We Got Style?" - A Vanity Fair Photoshoot

Vanessa

One Too Many
I always love the Vanity Fair spreads. Take a peek here at some behind the scene pictures from their latest shoot using young modern stars in recreating famous movie scenes from the 1930s. More pics can be found here.

And you can find comparisons with the original movie stills here.

30s-fashion-0908-pp02.jpg

Sorry, but he's no Clark Gable.

Story

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
I thought they were models, not actors. Either way, I totally agree.

That's Eugene Levy, second from left, in the Grapes of Wrath shot. Good actor, lamely posed.

jawisher

Familiar Face
Vanessa said:
I always love the Vanity Fair spreads. Take a peek here at some behind the scene pictures from their latest shoot using young modern stars in recreating famous movie scenes from the 1930s. More pics can be found here.

And you can find comparisons with the original movie stills here.

30s-fashion-0908-pp02.jpg

Sorry, but he's no Clark Gable.

I love these shots. Like a lot of us, I wish they would credit the clothing. Whenever I see a good-looking modern vintage-style man's suit, I think "Ralph Lauren", but the women's clothing? I have no idea. Anyone care to guess where the 'Claudette Colbert' outfit comes from?

As far as whether these models have the same weight and charisma of the originals... Well, of course not. He's no Clark Gable; no one is. No one is ever anyone else. I don't think that's the point. I do enjoy that they are re-creating these classic film moments, and I hope that this classic look continues to have some influence on style and fashion today.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jawisher said:
I love these shots. Like a lot of us, I wish they would credit the clothing. Whenever I see a good-looking modern vintage-style man's suit, I think "Ralph Lauren", but the women's clothing? I have no idea. Anyone care to guess where the 'Claudette Colbert' outfit comes from?

As far as whether these models have the same weight and charisma of the originals... Well, of course not. He's no Clark Gable; no one is. No one is ever anyone else. I don't think that's the point. I do enjoy that they are re-creating these classic film moments, and I hope that this classic look continues to have some influence on style and fashion today.

Exactly!

Whether they are as great and wonderful as the original is really not the point.

We as classic fashion loving folks should be rejoicing that instead of metallic space suits....these pictures are out there, encouraging people to consider this look, rather then always knocking the new versions of stuff as 'not good enough'...because its still certainly people then a purple lame bubble dress....

Baby steps folks...baby steps.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Whether they are as great and wonderful as the original is really not the point.

Then what is the point of copying the original? To be only half as good, if that?
I never really get these Golden Era tribute spreads, and VF does them often. Im not talking about historical accuracy, I guess I just dont get the point. They are so vastly unoriginal, yet they try fervently to mimic as much of the original 'spirit', 'flavor' whatever you want to call it of the original, then people critique them as 'they are not trying to be the original'. Then dont copy it, be original in something else.

I mean, they can do a Golden Era themed spread that has no correlation to any iconic photo/movie that has ever been taken, but can have the 'flavor' of the time and it can be wonderful, and original. But I guess that is not what they are after, so it circles right back to my first sentence.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the look they're trying for here is fine -- we live in a day and age, I guess, in which there really isn't anything original to say in popular culture, where every new fad and trend that comes along is basically just a boiled-over rehash of something that came before, and in that sense I'd rather see them try to do what they're doing here, an honest recreation, than to try to show us XXXXTREME GABLE taking his shirt off to reveal a pumped-up steroid physique or whatever. That kind of "modern take on the classic style" sets my teeth on edge.

But that said, I agree with what Kitty said above -- what stands out most to me is how different modern people look, all fashion aside, from their vintage predecessors. The moderns look *too* perfect, too overcorrected. When you look at the vintage shots, no matter how glamoured up they are, you get a sense that beneath the makeup and clothes you've got lumpy ordinary people. To my eye, the celebrities and stars and models of today have all the realism of a molded plastic doll, no matter what they have on.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
GRAPES of WRATh (AKA no wine before its time)

Feel the FL WRATH

30s-fashion-0908-pp07.jpg

At least the period vehicle set up looks pretty cool Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Then what is the point of copying the original? To be only half as good, if that?

I guess I just see it as 'inspiration' rather then such a direct copy..

Take the first picture....if it was a -copy- they would have had them sitting on the fence with her head leaning on his.

Thus, to me. they did the clothes inspired by but not a -copy-.

Much like with art...someone can paint in the style of say Picasso....and its inspiration, or someone can recreate -exactly- a Picasso painting.

Accurate or not, full of character just like the originals or not....these sorts of spreads -inspire- people to dress in a more classical way.

And that cannot be a bad thing. ;)

jawisher

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
Much like with art...someone can paint in the style of say Picasso....and its inspiration, or someone can recreate -exactly- a Picasso painting.

Accurate or not, full of character just like the originals or not....these sorts of spreads -inspire- people to dress in a more classical way.

And that cannot be a bad thing. ;)

Exactly! Inspiration, homage, or whatever you want to call it is not a bad thing. It has been going on in a big way from time to time, one way or another since at least the Italian Renaissance, and more likely since the beginning of time.

I suppose you could argue about how well any particular homage is done. In this case though, this photospread seems mainly to be a sartorial homage, and isn't that right up our alley?

Feraud

Bartender
Lady Day said:
As noted in the article, the point is...
Ain’t We Got Fun?
For “Ain’t We Got Style?,” a portfolio in the August issue, photographers Michael Roberts, Norman Jean Roy, Mark Seliger, and Art Streiber teamed up with Josh Duhamel, Mila Kunis, Emile Hirsch, and other rising stars to re-enact classic Depression-era films.

It's about the style and fun of dressing up like the stars of the ol' days.
Just like we do here. ;)

dr greg

One Too Many
what's old is always new

I don't mind this sort of thing because what it does is keep opening the eyes of the young or 'hip' to classic style, and as a purveyor of vintage clothes let me tell you that if I relied on people MY OWN AGE buying my stuff to survive, I'd have been up the proverbial creek a long time ago.
Males over 40 and especially over 50, generally
A: hate looking like their dad, and try to look like they're still 18 in fake surf clothes
B: are too fat
C: are tragically ignorant of any form of style,
D: Worst of all, let their wives and/or dork children buy their clothes!
therefore, 90%+ of my customers are young, fashion-conscious, slim, and trend-aware, so the more vintage awareness there is..the better for me..the downside is of course that a lot of them are students and have no money, so they are out there competing with me to source the stuff, but that was ever thus. More photo shoots please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot