Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“WTF’ Hats,” that are hard to believe...

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Let's be honest with each other. How silly do mainstream 30s/40s hats appear to be for most 'average' people today?
Very much, I'd think. Heck, there was a question on "Family Feud" on what a guy could wear to turn a woman off and fedora was an answer!
I guess when you consider what any of us would pay for something from the golden era, in many cases something that would be considered worthless to 'normal' folk, who are we to say anything else is silly or not worth anything?
We're the ones to say because we're the ones buying them. Seems pretty simple to me.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I'd guess that the "average person", including the 100 people surveyed for the game show, would not know the difference between a nice fur felt fedora from the Golden Age and a crappy tweed or houndstooth "fedora" from the seventies. Or a porkpie, a deerstalker, a flat cap or a hard hat for that matter.
Just my opinion, but I put little stock in anything seen or heard on Family Feud.

Let's be honest with each other. How silly do mainstream 30s/40s hats appear to be for most 'average' people today?
Very much, I'd think. Heck, there was a question on "Family Feud" on what a guy could wear to turn a woman off and fedora was an answer!
I guess when you consider what any of us would pay for something from the golden era, in many cases something that would be considered worthless to 'normal' folk, who are we to say anything else is silly or not worth anything?

Who is the Family Feud people to decide? This is just a fun thread.

I really like hats, but I never forget that they are just hats. There are lots of things that are truly important to me, but hats are not on that list.

Getting around the matchstick trademark and one-upping it by adding kindling:

1CA601E2-F849-482B-81C6-9D7C34956FD4.jpeg
185B8EBF-AC4F-4BB8-BF02-3C67E46927F6.jpeg
D5B1FCCF-D1F7-4B0A-805C-AA7052A4051F.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
St. James Fedora.
The ultimate in fedoras and a truly unique piece, the St James's is crafted from beaver and mink fur felt - the latter being the most expensive felt you can buy. This prestigious piece is luxurious in all of its details; from the fine ribbon edged-brim to the sumptuous red silk lining and a beautifully soft leather sweatband.

Each St James's fedora comes with a complimentary black & gold hat box.
Nothing wrong with this hat, it's a beauty, I have been searching for such a hat in khaki, I love it. My wallet on the other hand, objected to: £695:00 that's a few pennies shy of: $918:00.

Nothing wrong with this hat, it's a beauty, I have been searching for such a hat in khaki, I love it. My wallet on the other hand, objected to: £695:00 that's a few pennies shy of: $918:00.

I guess that price may not be too far out of line based on other "bespoke" hatters. Wellema sells them for $900 (and I only know that as I have a thrift store Wellema up on eBay right now -- not that blend I don't think).

Don't go look at custom western/cowboy hats. Many of them start around that price. :eek:

St. James Fedora.
The ultimate in fedoras and a truly unique piece, the St James's is crafted from beaver and mink fur felt - the latter being the most expensive felt you can buy. This prestigious piece is luxurious in all of its details; from the fine ribbon edged-brim to the sumptuous red silk lining and a beautifully soft leather sweatband.

Each St James's fedora comes with a complimentary black & gold hat box.

How about an Optimo in British Racing Green?

GHT

I'll Lock Up

optimo brg.png
Ooh-la-la, and at twelve hundred and fifty bucks, I'll take two. One thing that I did take comfort from is that, like this fabulous hand made hat, a hand made Aloha shirt will set you back around two grand, whether that's dollars or pounds, it's still reassuring when you have wardrobe full of such shirts, all beautifully crafted by hand.

Last edited:
View attachment 413298
Ooh-la-la, and at twelve hundred and fifty bucks, I'll take two. One thing that I did take comfort from is that, like this fabulous hand made hat, a hand made Aloha shirt will set you back around two grand, whether that's dollars or pounds, it's still reassuring when you have wardrobe full of such shirts, all beautifully crafted by hand.

A big part of being content and happy in life is enjoying what you have and not always wishing for more and envying those who do have more. It’s a lesson I’m still working on, and one that I think I’m getting better at.

What, no "go faster" stripes? Pass.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A big part of being content and happy in life is enjoying what you have and not always wishing for more and envying those who do have more. It’s a lesson I’m still working on, and one that I think I’m getting better at.
Quite so. Here on The Lounge there's a chequered membership from many walks of life, sharing their highs and lows, their skills and talents. There's been the odd spat, but by and large, from my eleven years here, I have never seen any sort of deliberate judgemental post. The Lounge is a wonderful leveller and it's members are a rich source of spice.

View attachment 413298
Tina’s work is special, top shelf, and off-the-charts, Robert.

Technology can never top technique, but can sometimes add new features…

Attachments

• 1D8E7084-D341-447E-B2C8-6D84E6E630FC.jpeg
    1D8E7084-D341-447E-B2C8-6D84E6E630FC.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana