Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1,000 Mile Boots

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I started reading about these boots last Summer. Over Christmas, I found them at Nordstrom's, $325. As a reference for fit, I tried and could not wear RW Gentleman Travelers on my shoebox-shaped foot--too narrow. But, a 10D in the 1,000 Mile boot felt immediately comfortable. These are a very fine boot. I'm on my feet all day, and I can wear these without a problem. They have enough room for me to put a Spenco cushioned insole in them without pinching or cramping my feet. The leather is very good; construction is solid throughout.

2982334550104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2136303960104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Cool!!

Jack,

I like their look, indeed...I assume yours come with single-layer leather soles?

Yes, the Red Wing GTs are too narrow for some people...but fine for me, personally.

The only complaints I have about the GTs are the commando style 3/4 soles (I would prefer something more conservative like those on the WWII Corcoran boots) and the standard laces (too thin/small for the boots).

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Those are nice boots.

Blethook, When you say you would prefer a sole more "conservative like those on the WWII Corcoran boots" are you talking about a sole more like the Iron Rangers? I have found the part rubber part leather on the Gentleman travelers to be their only weakness. When I dig with a spade it cuts the threads on the leather part of the sole, leading to little spaces between the sole leather. Not a big deal really. If you were never to dig this probably wouldn't be a problem either. Other than that they are some of the finest, toughest, boots you will ever see--I think the "Commando Sole" looks great for me, it is just not as durable as full rubber along the bottom of the sole leather.

blethook

One of the Regulars
A.D.,

By more conservative I meant something with a lot less lugs, or "teeth."

I like the 1/2 (or is it 3/4?) soles on the GTs, but I would like them even better if they look more like those on the WWII Corcoran boots.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
OK, I see. Mine have rounded over a little with use, and don't look as "toothish" as they did. I have wished Redwing made the GT's with a sole similar to the Iron Rangers. But I like mine just fine.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
945897-p-DETAILED.jpg

These Rockport Bilkis came in the mail today. The pic does not do this boot justice. They are a great brown color with a nice weathered vintage look and they feel great on, does anyone else have a pair?

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
1000 Mile

Jack

It just so happens I picked up a pair of those before heading off to college. They're a well made boot, but I've had a few setbacks... Sadly, the sole of my right boot wore a hole. As they had become my everyday shoes, I continued to wear them. That is until water began leaking through the hole :eek:

Anyhow, sent them off to be repaired. Not too bad. Certainly a nice pair of boots, but my advice is to not wear them on wet days, as the thin soles will wear through.

You say the RW Travelers run narrow? I actually ended up sizing down one with the Red Wings in order to get a closer fit. Maybe those Red Wings would be a good idea... They might just...

*chucks his wallet out the window*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff