Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Favorite Opening Film Credits

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
If I may jump in slightly off-topic, one aspect of film making from the golden age that I liked involved the use of caricatures of the film's stars arrayed around the text of the opening credits. They were always large-headed and small-bodied, often with exaggerated features. These would run through the credits up 'till the opening shot.

Edward

Bartender
kiltie said:
Attaboy!
Rocky Horror: as soon as I read it, "...Science fiction, double feature..." popped into my head with the BIG RED LIPS. That is a memorable opening credit sequence.

If ever you get a chance, listen to Pat Quinn telling the story of how that came about (she'll tell it at the drop of a hat if you catch her at a convention appearance, and it's also in the interview they filmed with her for the DVD release - on disc two of the double disc edition). She nearly didn't do the film at all, because she loves that song, and they told her Richard was going to sing it himself (she famously said to him "You b*****d, you stole my song."). As Pat tells it, they explained how they wanted to use her lips (for yes, indeed they are hers) and she said.... "How much?"

lol

UWS Cowboy said:
Well, I have to say Watchmen's opening credits are probably the best I've ever seen.

Oh, jinkies, aye, I'd forgotten the credits rolled during those.... Oh, I loved that. I've been a fan of the comic book for a few years, first read it on recommendation from friends (recommendations going back years - you know how it can take a while to get round to these things!) a few years ago, and loved it. Rorshach was always my favourite - a nasty, vicious fascist, but ultimately the only one of the whole shower with any real integrity. The opening credits were inspired, and beautifully outlined the alternative history setting things up perfectly for the 1985 of the Watchmen world. I laughed out loud at a whole bunch of the references, especially the Last Supper, and the Grassy Knoll. Total genius. Incidently, while I may have seen Rocky Horror approaching 500 times now, Watchmen is still to date the only film I have ever seen in the cinema three times in one week.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
The Blues Brothers....:)
vlcsnap-43704.jpg

"They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God."

Rob

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
If I may jump in slightly off-topic, one aspect of film making from the golden age that I liked involved the use of caricatures of the film's stars arrayed around the text of the opening credits. They were always large-headed and small-bodied, often with exaggerated features. These would run through the credits up 'till the opening shot.

Thats the entire point of this thread, not off topic at all.
The thread is about the credits, not the opening sequence of a movie. You could chop off the credits and with that next frame, start the movie and not miss a beat. But the credits are so cool by themselves that you would watch them by themselves.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The opening credits in "Duck Soup" have a good example of this -- Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo's heads on flying cartoon duck bodies, following a live shot of ducks swimming around in a washtub. Rather surreal, compared to most other credit sequences of the day.

The opening of the Marx's Monkey Business is also fun -- with the credits painted on the side of pickled-herring barrels being rolled down a chute, offering a neat segue into the opening scene.

Of all the major studios in the early 30s, Paramount seemed to have the most fun with its credit sequences -- animation, live backgrounds, etc.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'The Way of the Gun" has my favorite scene BEFORE the opening credits.
I won't link it here due to the ridiculous amount of profanity but it's on youtube.

Although not spot on as the the theme of the thread, I would like to bring up the Coen Brothers odd comedy "Raising Arizona" only because it may be the longest opening scenes to run in a film BEFORE the opening credits come in. It takes a long long time.

"Now, y'all without sin can cast the first stone."

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Spartacus (1960 Saul Bass)

Bullitt (1968)

Zodiac (2007)

Body Heat (1981)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Jaws (1975)

The Ipcress File (1965)

The Three Musketeers (1973)

Capricorn One (1978) Jerrry Goldsmith's amazing score.

The Big Sleep (1946)

Planet of the Apes (1968)

12 Angry Men (1957)

Grand Prix (1966)

Lifeboat (1944)

Alien (1979)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Not a movie but a short lived TV show from 1987 called Private Eye. Great theme by Joe Jackson.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2I2Ktpa8MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T2I2Ktpa8MI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry I did a few more than 10.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I'll have to put in my vote for "Cats and Dogs" - an absolutely hilarious credit sequence, even for the younger set that might not get all the nuances of what's being used as the model.

Another one of my favorites is W.C. Fields and Me starring Rod Steiger and Valerie Perrine, which was based on the memoirs of Fields' longtime companion Carlotta Monti. The opening credits represents Fields' early years in vaudeville in the form of a steamer trunk bearing his name being dropped, left behind at train stations and suffering all manner of abuse reminiscent of the old Samsonite commercials.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I don't know if I canmanage ten, but I'll give a go.

Brazil - The cheesy Central Services jingle followed by an explosion and then a screech as the neon titles appear gets me worked up for the film

The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life - Both animatied musical materpieces.

2001: A Space Odyssey - A classic.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Singing dolphins, what more do you want?

Any of the 'Carry On' films, specially those featuring seaside postcard humour.

Trainspotting - Get's the heart racing.

A Clockwork Orange - For that amazing music and the evil eyes.

A Touch of Evil - For the reasons others have already mentioned.

There's nine, I'll almost certainly think of a tenth as soon as I click submit

Professor

A-List Customer
Ah yes, there's nothing like watching the opening credits to a film and thinking to myself, "I'm really going to enjoy this!" :eusa_clap

My mind has a tendency to go blank, but two films do come to mind:

"North by Northwest" Hitchcock at his best, and I just love the opening! Music sets the mood as only Bernard Herrmann can do, and those classic scenes of the post-war city are priceless. You even get Hitch's cameo...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Qbg089yT31g&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Qbg089yT31g&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"Mrs. Henderson Presents" I just get such a thrill from the music and animation! The movie does not disappoint either...though I cannot find a clip of it on YouTube or anywhere else. Oh well, all the more reason for the rest of you lot to see it for yourselves! You should, if you haven't already. ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Help!, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Black Angel, Hard Day's Night, D.O.A. (nobody has mentioned this one yet?), Murder, My Sweet, Waterloo Bridge, Ed Wood (tombstones and bongos...), Dead Men Walk, Glen or Glenda? ("Pull the string!"), Plan 9 From Outer Space ("Criswell Predicts").

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Professor said:
Ah yes, there's nothing like watching the opening credits to a film and thinking to myself, "I'm really going to enjoy this!" :eusa_clap

My mind has a tendency to go blank, but two films do come to mind:

"North by Northwest" Hitchcock at his best, and I just love the opening! Music sets the mood as only Bernard Herrmann can do, and those classic scenes of the post-war city are priceless. You even get Hitch's cameo...

Good choice, I hadn't appreciated them fully until we went to The Electric cinema in Birmingham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24