Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy Review

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Golden Sellout
Stick with the old Indy.

By Raymond Arroyo

First a confession: I love the Indiana Jones movies. I grew up on the franchise and as a kid owned a brown fedora and bullwhip. Now you know. Today, having seen the first three films on DVD, my sons have their own brown fedoras and bullwhip. So when they heard that a new Indiana Jones film was being released, the boys begged to see it. I was only too happy to comply.

Another dad and I signed our kids out of school early and took them down to the local Regal Cinema to be there on the opening day of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. (Yes, we contributed to the $127 million haul.) This was no routine trip to the cineplex. This was a pilgrimage, a chance for the old guys to share their boyish excitement with the youngsters — to show them what old-fashioned summer movies were like. The boys wore their fedoras and we settled in the dark waiting for the excitement to begin.

It never did.

In fairness, the boys were mildly interested in a jungle jeep-chase sequence. A swarm of killer ants that devoured a mean Commie also made them put aside the Skittles for a nanosecond. But aside from that, my sons were literally tipping over from boredom.

Indiana Jones is an iconic American character, of the kind we need today. Cut from the cloth of John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart, Dr. Jones is an unapologetic male: a good guy who is sure of himself and his culture. He is both brash and educated — a solver of riddles who can pop bad guys in the mouth, outsmart the fascists, and still get the girl. But something was missing from this adventure. When it was over, it felt as if we hadn’t seen an Indiana Jones picture at all. National Treasure 2 was a better film.

Oh, Harrison Ford was there doing a fine job as an elder, more resigned Indy, but the old magic around him was absent. The first problem was the time period. 1957 is a far cry from the glamour and mystique of the 1930s. Having an Indiana Jones movie begin in Nevada with strains of Elvis’s “Hound Dog” in the background is probably not a good idea. And whose choice was it to have Alvin and the Prairie Dogs show up in the opening scene?

In retrospect it was as if George Lucas (the producer, who is also credited with the absurd story) and director Steven Spielberg were more interested in paying tribute to their hits of yesteryear than reviving one of America’s great movie franchises. Imagine random scenes from American Graffiti (which Lucas directed in 1973), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Spielberg’s 1977 film), and Jaws (Spielberg, 1975) with Indiana Jones wandering about and you pretty much have a sense of this film. Despite the promise of a few scenes between Harrison Ford and Karen Allen (as Indy’s old love Marion Ravenwood), there is little humanity here for audiences to hold on to.

Yeah, Indiana Jones is still snapping his whip and throwing out cocky asides. He tips his hat to nuns and is obviously the Indy we know from better days; but once he’s lost in this ridiculous storyline, even die-hards will have trouble caring about him. Once the space ship takes off from the Aztec temple, it is all but impossible to watch. The character is so out of place in this milieu, Spielberg and Lucas may as well have ended the film with Indy, Marion, and their love child walking into Al’s Diner for a burger. Fonzie, Richie Cunningham, and Laverne and Shirley could have been sharing milkshakes in a nearby booth just to complete the excitement. Heck, wait another 20 years and in the next installment, Indy and Marion can go on an exotic seniors’ Princess Cruise with Captain Stubing and special guest star Carol Channing.

Whatever Indy was searching for (and after sitting through this graphics-laden nightmare I still am not at all certain what that was), I don’t think he found it. Neither did we.

As I write this, my sons are wearing their fedoras in the backyard, spinning adventures far more exciting than the muddled Indiana Jones disaster abusing screens everywhere. Save your money and watch the kids in the yard. They’re more believable, and unlike these filmmakers, they love Indiana Jones for more than the box-office riches he can deliver.

— Raymond Arroyo is the New York Times-bestselling author of Mother Angelica and host of the EWTN Newsmagazine The World Over Live.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
To be fair, they did all they could have done with Indy in that movie. They may have overplayed the age but he's old and getting older. If he were the same swashbuckling Indy I wouldn't have believed it. Having a son or a daughter is something I figured would happen, it's a progression of the character. The movie played a lot to the fans and gave up a lo of mystery to the characters but to see another Indy movie like previous ones though just with an older slower Indy wouldn't have been as fun to watch.

They did what they could have done with what they were working with and Indy was still really Indy, forced lines and all!

Now the swinging through the vines with the monkeys? that was truly way too much.

A.R. McVintage

Matt Deckard said:
They may have overplayed the age but he's old and getting older. If he were the same swashbuckling Indy I wouldn't have believed it.

When he was young, I was actually waiting for that German mechanic to beat him silly...if I had only known then he could survive a ground zero nuclear detonation (and nearly 30 years later at that--talk about how age changes you!), I wouldn't have worried.lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's funny, I saw it again this weekend and still enjoyed it. There was an interview in Entertainment Weekly that posed the issue of Harrison's age. He says he's heard that one before and his response to getting older is, "You are too. You...are...too. Take a look in the mirror." Personally I think he pulled it off nicely. Sure, he isn't the same ole' Indy of 20 years ago. That's what happens over time, we change, and so did he. With the death of his Father & best friend it put some things into perspective.
Marion was different too. What would one expect after 19 years as a parent?
For me it still held all the fun, magic and other elements that drew me to the Indy franchise to begin with. Anyway, that's just my two cents, for what it is worth. I tip my hat to those who found something to dislike, for they found something that will elude me forever. But hey, that's just me. to each their own. :) lol

Cheers!

Dan

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Here is my take on the whole thing.

Like so many others, I am in my mid thirties, with children who are around the same age I was for Raiders.

I have loved the Indiana jones movies since day one. For years I have told people Raiders is my all time favorite movie, I just love it. Last Crusade is great, Temple of Doom is so/so, meaning there are parts I loved and parts I hated in Temple.

Long before the internet and Club Obi Wan (of which I am a member) I was one of those guys that always wore Khaki pants and a brown leather jacket. I had a brown brimmed hat I wore hiking and hunting, and even though it didn't look much like Indy's, it was all inspired by him. I've always held a fascination for the 30's and 40's, for many reasons, but a lot of it started from Indiana Jones. It led me to this site. I now own the Adventurebilt hat, the Wested Jacket, the Alden shoes, and have worn them for a long time as part of a functional, classic style wardrobe.

I did not like the new Indiana Jones movie. I was bored. I have recently watched action movies that made my heart pound with exitement (most notably Batman Begins), so I know it is not because I have changed in the last 20 years. The plot was labored, the dialogue insipid, and the chase sequences fell flat.

When Indy is dragged under the truck in Raiders, I know its a stuntman. I also know he is secured to the truck, and they dug a trench for his added safety, and he is wearing padding to keep him safe, but (and here's the big point) IT REALLY IS SOMEONE BEING DRAGGED UNDER A REAL MOVING TRUCK!! No computer effects, no bluescreen. The jungle chase sequence with Mutt swinging on the vines looked like a cartoon. It was silly and not at all exiting.

In Raiders Indy enters the Well of the Souls, and it is crawling with snakes. I know in reality the snakes would not be in there, there is nothing to eat. But in the closeup shots, there really are real snakes, including live Cobras. Ditto for the bugs in Temple and the rats in Last Crusade. Do ants like they portray in Crystal Skull really exist? I know there are army ants in the rain forests, but they are much smaller and slower moving (though if you were too stupid to easily outrun them, they might manage to eat you, they are pretty vicious). And I am pretty sure no swarm of ants alive could lift and drag a kicking human being.

I know the plots and stunt sequences of the earlier films were preposterous. But I've always felt they were done in a way that they at least looked so real, they could almost be believed. Not with the new movie, because it just looked so fake. In fairness, I liked the opening sequence in the warehouse a little, and the motorcycle chase sequence was good. After that, I just found the movie dull. I had already purchased tickets to see it midnight opening day with my wife and the next day at a matinee with my daughter, so I saw it twice. The first time I didn't know what to expect, and was very disappointed. The second time I knew what was going to happen, but tried so hard to look for things I would enjoy. I just couldn't find much. [huh]

Doh!

One Too Many
I fully agree with both negative reviews above. I have no problem with an older Indy doing his thing -- as long as his thing takes place in the real world with real stunt people (when necessary) risking life and limb to create a real sense of danger.

At no time in this movie did I feel anyone was in peril and I fully blame CGI for that. Even though we just know Indy was going to survive whatever boobytraps he fell into in past movies, it was exciting to see HOW it would happen. Case in point: in Temple of Doom, he and Short Round are trapped in that room with the spikes slowly lowering onto them. Every time I see that, the combination of music and practical special effects gets my heart racing a little. Even the hat-grab at the end is a *whew!* moment.

I felt none of that with the latest movie.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Oh, Harrison Ford was there doing a fine job as an elder, more resigned Indy, but the old magic around him was absent. The first problem was the time period. 1957 is a far cry from the glamour and mystique of the 1930s. Having an Indiana Jones movie begin in Nevada with strains of Elvis’s “Hound Dog” in the background is probably not a good idea. And whose choice was it to have Alvin and the Prairie Dogs show up in the opening scene?

Precisely. The movie lacked magic. It was pounded into our heads that "the world has CHANGED". True, it had, but I don't think we needed to have it drilled in. They intentionally removed the magic in the beginning of the movie, and then spent the rest of the movie trying to put it back in. Sorry, doesn't work that way. (I speak mainly of all the in-your-face references to the 50s, such as "Hound Dog", suburban Doomtown, the atomic bomb, and the overzealous FBI agents. I actually didn't mind a lot of these scenes *as scenes*, but they didn't fit.)

I did think there were some moments that captured the magic for a few moments. The riddle, the grave scene, and when Indy calls for a map to figure out the directions all come to mind. But the ending lacked that same magic. You're left in awe or sadness or both at the end of all the other movies (well, maybe not TOD). This one? "Um...that was a FLYING SAUCER."

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Siafu do exist, but they're not that big, not that vicious, and not on that continent ;) They're found in Africa.

There was something lacking about the movie. Though I liked Ford, it was through his own ability as an actor. Lucas and Speilberg just seem to have fallen flat to me. The above statements about CGI certainly apply, but the whole thing felt less like a treasure hunt. Sure there was the map and all, but it all felt spliced together.

And the refrigerator. This is Indy, not James Bond! And not even Connery Bond, the fridge was more Brosnan Bond. Other thing, wouldn't it have been easier to use a gun barrel as a compass, rather than the gunpowder trick?

I'm glad I went and saw it in the cinema, but it wasn't the same as the old ones.

zaika

One Too Many
Doh! said:
At no time in this movie did I feel anyone was in peril and I fully blame CGI for that. Even though we just know Indy was going to survive whatever boobytraps he fell into in past movies, it was exciting to see HOW it would happen. Case in point: in Temple of Doom, he and Short Round are trapped in that room with the spikes slowly lowering onto them. Every time I see that, the combination of music and practical special effects gets my heart racing a little. Even the hat-grab at the end is a *whew!* moment.

I felt none of that with the latest movie.

ABSOLUTELY. I agree with this 100%.

Decodence

A-List Customer
The CGI really killed it for me. The prarie dogs, refrigerator, ants, swinging, and even marion driving the duck off the cliff onto the tree, which gracefully arcs down to the water. All hooey. It put it in the realm of a comic book, which although what Raiders was inspired by, was completely off-putting.

Also, not quite sure what the graveyard guardian types were supposed to represent, and what their insertion into the storyline was supposed to accomplish, but it didn't work, whatever it was.

The wife was trying to defend the whole UFO aspect as being representive of the 1950s, but again, it felt more like X-files (complete with aliens and flying saucer at the finale) to me.

I give it 2.5 stars out of 5. TOD is just about even with it IMHO.

59Lark

Practically Family
Last word on indy review. not.

My family decided that we take the family van and go to the drive in and watch the indy movie, after buying 30 bucks of chips and pop, each having to have their own type of soda and chips and such. WE then decided that the six year old would have nightmares and sent her off to grandmas, and we went to the modern tri plex downtown. Twenty seven to get in, and twelve for popcorn, here we are. The film starts out with a elvis toon, and a convoy of army trucks, and 30s hot rod ford. I have to say that i enjoyed the movie,the old clothes the automobiles, the decorum. The commy spy thing is old today but was new then, dont try for a deep meaning or a spirtual inspiration , this movies is plain good old entertainment, thats all, no sex, lots of action and stunts, and i loved it. My wife and i turned away several times, killer ants and such but i would recommend it. 59Lark ps saw at least two studebakers not enough for 1957 and no hawks.

A.R. McVintage

Decodence said:
The wife was trying to defend the whole UFO aspect as being representive of the 1950s, but again, it felt more like X-files (complete with aliens and flying saucer at the finale) to me.

I'd have bought martians (still thinking it's stupid, but that's beside the point of buying the concept) in a '50s set flick if they look like this:

saucermen.jpg

The big problem with the ones they went with in the story they went with is that the aliens are a very 70s/80s look with the big black almond eyes and whatnot and the story isn't B-movie at all but wacky Fortean/Chariots of the Gods stuff that wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't be so throughly discredited decades ago.

Doh!

One Too Many
Seriously, "period correct" aliens would've been the better choice. I was thinking how dull the design was. Even the X-Files movie changed up the appearance of the "grays" a bit.

59Lark

Practically Family
more update and thoughts.

The idea of martians and flying saucers is rightly 1950s and thus but i thought that the aliens were credable. The idea of conspiracy is not new, but i am firm believer that there is warehouses full of stuff they dont want us to know about, and i also think that only when we die and ask the master will we get any of these questions answered. The aliens look better than those cabbage heads. 59Lark

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Did anybody notice the blatant allusion to the space craft in the very beginning of the film before they got to the flying saucer cafe? There are no accidents. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Manolo and Herioc Befuddlement

Manolo the Shoeblogger's take on the movie:

This new Harrison Ford movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Improbable Geriatric Hijinks, which the Manolo saw this past weekend, was almost exactly what the Manolo expected; Harrison Ford stumbling his way through the series of contrived over-the-top action sequences.

Yes, the movie was entertaining in places, and the Manolo occasionally chuckled, but it was nothing when compared to either the first or the third installment in the Indiana Jones catalog.

Query: Is there any actor who plays heroic befuddlement better than Harrison Ford?

Indeed, his range as the actor is seemingly limited to heroic befuddlement, wooden heroic befuddlement, angry heroic befuddlement, and his acting masterpiece, wryly humorous heroic befuddlement.

Only the great Gary Cooper has ever been more wooden or more heroically befuddled than Harrison Ford.​
Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner