Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Restaruants & Retailers We Miss

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

We have a Burger Chef in Litchfield IL. It was o.k., but we used to go in and order a Big Mac just to irritate them. I never ate at the Walgreen's drug store counter, but I remember the one in Town and Country Mall's Walgreen's store. I definitely don't miss Chi-Chi's. They put the same Mexi-gravy on EVERYTHING I ever ate there. The two old Chi-Chi's in Wichita KS are both still open, but as either Chinese or American buffets. Ho Jo's used to have the best ice cream, but their food was only o.k. Ours was torn down to expand a car lot. There was a motel with it.

later

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to work just up the street from a J. J. Newberry's, and would eat at their lunch counter a lot. It was one of those places where you could get anything you needed cheap. It went out of business in the late '90s, and the building is now an adjunct to the local art museum. Which is great too, but you can't get a cheap hamburger or a pack of shoelaces there.

I also have never gotten over losing W. T. Grant's, which went bankrupt in the mid-70s. We used to do our back-to-school shopping there, and while my mother was buying the Big Chief tablets and the gym shoes, I'd drift over to the pet section and watch the fish and turtles. A whole afternoon's entertainment for a kid.

Last edited:

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
We had a Burger Chef in Belleville, Illinois. Hardee's aborbed them in the late 70's. There was also a W.T. Grant on the west end that we would shop in from time to time. Kresge's dime store downtown is what I miss the most. They were bought by K-Mart. They had a lunch counter with good food, a pet department (with fish & turtles), clothing, hardware, etc. I spent a lot of summer afternoons in that store as a kid.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, here's my list, going back a little farther.
Chock Full o' Nuts . . . those great brown bread and creme cheese sandwiches!
W. T. Grant . . . great old cheap 5 and 10 stores.
Ho Jo's . . . definitely.
Schrafft's Restaurants . . . started out as a candy company, wound up with a chain of wonderful restaurants, the kind of place very proper little old ladies used to eat at. They always appealed to the little old lady in me. There was a really nice one in Boston years ago.
Woolworth's . . . Beside being the definitive five and dime store, they had great lunch counters.
Horn and Hardhart's Automat! Only went to a couple, a LONG taime ago. But they were really fun!
The old McDonald's, with the real, original and authentic Golden Arches.

I suppose there are few more, but these came to mind.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I recall Burger Chef being around, but the only time I really recall going to one was in 1981. It was in Champaign, IL and the food may have been good, but the only thing I remember was that the mix was bad on the soda machine. I had a Coke with too much fizz and not enough syrup.

If you could only see the way I just cringed at the memory of it.

Miller Fan

New in Town
I used to work just up the street from a J. J. Newberry's, and would eat at their lunch counter a lot. It was one of those places where you could get anything you needed cheap. It went out of business in the late '90s, and the building is now an adjunct to the local art museum. Which is great too, but you can't get a cheap hamburger or a pack of shoelaces there.

I also have never gotten over losing W. T. Grant's, which went bankrupt in the mid-70s. We used to do our back-to-school shopping there, and while my mother was buying the Big Chief tablets and the gym shoes, I'd drift over to the pet section and watch the fish and turtles. A whole afternoon's entertainment for a kid.
I spent many an hour at Newberrys @ the corner of 5th & Race, in Cincinnati in the 50's. I also miss the lunch counter at FW Woolworths, which is where I had a stockboy job in '64

Miller Fan

New in Town
I recall Burger Chef being around, but the only time I really recall going to one was in 1981. It was in Champaign, IL and the food may have been good, but the only thing I remember was that the mix was bad on the soda machine. I had a Coke with too much fizz and not enough syrup.

If you could only see the way I just cringed at the memory of it.
I was in a Burger Chef in Cincinnati in the spring of '69. A tornado hit and knocked a billboard down on my '67 Camaro, but at least I was safe inside the building. Burger Chef and Jeff were my best friends that day. LOL

Miller Fan

New in Town
OK, here's my list, going back a little farther.
Chock Full o' Nuts . . . those great brown bread and creme cheese sandwiches!
W. T. Grant . . . great old cheap 5 and 10 stores.
Ho Jo's . . . definitely.
Schrafft's Restaurants . . . started out as a candy company, wound up with a chain of wonderful restaurants, the kind of place very proper little old ladies used to eat at. They always appealed to the little old lady in me. There was a really nice one in Boston years ago.
Woolworth's . . . Beside being the definitive five and dime store, they had great lunch counters.
Horn and Hardhart's Automat! Only went to a couple, a LONG taime ago. But they were really fun!
The old McDonald's, with the real, original and authentic Golden Arches.

I suppose there are few more, but these came to mind.
Don't forget Kresgees. Did they become K Mart? Oh yes, also GC Murphys. I wanna go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Last edited:

Miller Fan

New in Town
Sorry folks. I don't mean to be irritating but I'm new to this and am just getting my feet wet. It's kind of addicting. I didn't realize I was posting so much. I'll try to practice moderation.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Our Woolworth's in Glendale, CA also had a pet department, located just around from the lunch counter. When the store was about to close in the early-90s, I asked the counter worker if I could take the color photo food signs; he said that he was selling them for about $10 each...And who remembers Kress and Kresge department stores?

Last edited:

Miller Fan

New in Town

I love your pic. I noticed the shelves with the items neatly arranged in the background. Looks like the old general store. There's a shop like that in the Naval Air Museum in Pennsacola. It brought back a lot of memories. And I don't know if that's really you in the pic, but if it is, you really have the look perfected. Great picture indeed.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I miss Burger Chef (the commercials were Burger Chef and Jeff, remember?) I used to like Burger Queen, too. W T Grants was in my hometown growing up and my mom would take my brother and I there and we would eat there after she shopped.
It later became a Rink's and my wife worked there while we were dating.
There is still an Ollie's Trolley in downtown Louisville, KY. That was the original restaurant chain that developed into Lum's. My dad's old favorite place!

rue

Sorry folks. I don't mean to be irritating but I'm new to this and am just getting my feet wet. It's kind of addicting. I didn't realize I was posting so much. I'll try to practice moderation.

If you are posting too much then I'm in big trouble lol

Does anyone miss the popcorn stand at sears? I think they had food too, but all I really remember is the popcorn because my parents would buy it to keep me quiet ;)

Also, for those in LA.... The Bistro of Beverly Hills. It was my favorite restaurant as a teen and my mom would take me there for my birthdays until they closed in 1988 or 89. The last time I went was for my 18th birthday and then it closed with the Bistro Gardens opening after that and being a former shadow of the hollywood hot spot it once was :(

Last edited:

Miller Fan

New in Town
If you are posting too much then I'm in big trouble lol

Does anyone miss the popcorn stand at sears? I think they had food too, but all I really remember is the popcorn because my parents would buy it to keep my quiet ;)

Also, for those in LA.... The Bistro of Beverly Hills. It was my favorite restaurant as a teen and my mom would take me there for my birthdays until they closed in 1988 or 89. The last time I went was for my 18th birthday and then it closed with the Bistro Gardens opening after that and being a former shadow of the hollywood hot spot it once was :(
Well aren't you sweet. I not only remember the popcorn but also the hot nut bar and when you got new shoes, they would also give you a free comic book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner