Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"101 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads"

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has no one noticed yet the woman in the ad has a black eye, and with the tag line "look good in all you do", it's obvious she's been hit by the guy?

I did... that ad is disgusting. The fact that a single human being defended (regardless of their sex) it, conceptualized it, shot it, and decided to run it(yet alone all the people involved in that trail of editing and approval) is beyond disgusting to me. None of the 101 ads even come close to that, no matter how sexist any of them are. I'm sorry, but that's disgusting. People should go picket outside that salon.

I have a huge problem with modern ads that show half clothed emaciated women. I find them to be incredibly sexist because they are sending the women the message that they have to be physically ill to be beautiful. I'd much rather have it suggested that my end-all-be-all gift is a toaster or a vacuum than be told to starve myself. While neither is ideal, current ads are causing far too many women to develop serious eating disorders than I am comfortable with. Look up how young women use these ads and share them online as their "thinsperation" in Ana and Mia communities. I doubt any woman ripped out these ads in the 30s and 40s and pinned them up to their mirrors and starved themselves or berated themselves for not having an appliance or looking like the model in the ad... but tons of young women regularly do this with modern ads, and some of these young women and children take it so far that they seriously damage their bodies or kill themselves in the process.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The right to be offended - it's in the Constitution.

Let's face it if you try to help a woman pick out a new car and explain the features and benefits you'll find out she bought the one she finally got because it's blue.
I seriously doubt that Danica Patrick cares what color her Daytona car is!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The two aren't mutually exclusive, of course. I like my Dodge because it has an indestructible valve-in-block flathead-six engine with a simple, easy to maintain Ball & Ball single-barrel carbeurator, and also because Regal Maroon is a great color.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
I'm not at home, but from a quick look at the first 12 or so, I'd say about half of them could be construed as 'sexist' in one way or another. In all honesty though, my wife has a degree in 'Women's studies', so I'm probably a little conditioned to find things more sexist as a result.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I did... that ad is disgusting.

The ad is a piece of apcray. The least attractive, least enticing I have seen in years. Who do they think it is going to appeal to? Edmonton is hardly one of the world's glamor spots but that ad is scraping the bottom of the barrel even for Western Canada.

An example of what you get when a hillbilly tries to be edgy and provocative.

All I can say is, if you are going to get upset over every ad that is an insult to your intelligence and sense of decency, you are letting yourself in for a lifetime of heartache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot