Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The elipses is the punctuation of the new Millenium.

It's something to think about. Used to be seen rarely, now they are everywhere online and on paper. People are trying to write more like people speak and I think it is a offshoot of all the instant communication. What do you think?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use them in writing, because I find them a better inflection of a half word (not finished) instead of describing a gasp or a pause in speech.

I like er...yeah, them :)

LD

Terry Lennox

Suspended
MudInYerEye said:
"..." has it's place.
I find smiley-faced "emoticons" the epitome of lame. I cringe when I see them.

I agree! I really dislike all of those emotions.

In fact, I see them as the internet's perfume... A little goes a long way.

(I used the "..." to help my sentence)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Glad you brought up the emoticons. I don't like them. I just think they... well they're silly. I have a friend on AOL instant messenger, and whenever she drops a smiley I just can't imagine she is making that face... or that the joke was that funny. MSN Messenger has more variety, though... I just don't like them.

The off topic icon is neat. I don't think of it as an emoticon.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
I am the worst...

and...
but...
or...
nor...
for...
so...
yet...

both . . . and
not only . . . but also
either . . . or
neither . . . nor
whether . . . or
just as . . . so too

most regards...:cheers1: ,

WeeGee...

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Funny that hardly anybody uses the sign for it: …. Now try highlighting one of the first three dots alone!

And just as people substitute three vulgar full stop signs for it, they leave out the actual full stop. (The example above has the extra sign plus a regular full stop.)

Otherwise, you know I'm not a friend of linguistic purism, and because people won't understand why, I think I'd better look at this thread from outside. :) (Not from above, though!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll use them at the end of a sentence in informal writing, to indicate a sort of trailing-off of the thought, but I prefer to use a dash ( -- ) to highlight a specific point in a sentence. If I do use an ellipse within a sentence, I'll use it correctly -- for example, to indicate that material has been omitted from a quote in the interest of brevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy