Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1820s tailcoat

Mojito

One Too Many
It's not Golden Age...and is a neat 100 years earlier than my usual era of collecting...but I thought you might like this tailcoat:

1820sCoat.png

BackofFrockcoat.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Bought it from a dealer I've made a few purchases from, Geesie - the tailoring is amazing. I know virtually nothing about garment construction, so this was fascinating.

Sorry, ThesFlishThngs - it's one of my new babies :) This era is one of the few in which I prefer male to female clothing...even if it does get a touch feminine with the narrow waist and wider hips and near hour-glass figure ideal. I had one of those bizarre moments when I looked at the back of this and realised it was nearly identical to a tailcoat I'd drawn on an illustration for a Victor Hugo novel! And having seen so many m-notch collars in fashion plates of the period, it was lovely to see one "in person".

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Great coat, I think I saw that when it was listed for sale.

I've become more and more an admirer of the 1800-1840s styles, which is rather unfortunate because nothing from that era can be currently worn in any context. Perhaps the hourglass fitted body coat of that era looks "feminine" by todays standards of gender, but to me it look very dashing and masculine. In fact, more so than the golden era over-padded shoulders.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Mojito said:
It's not Golden Age...and is a neat 100 years earlier than my usual era of collecting...but I thought you might like this tailcoat:

1820sCoat.png

BackofFrockcoat.jpg

Amazing, absolutely amazing. Is this the oldest find made by any Fedora Lounger? Or did someone find anything older? That said, for how old this coat is supposed to be, it looks to be in great condition. Oh, and I think someone here's right about not being able to wear it in general, as it's deemed too distantly old fashioned these days, or archaic... but I suppose one can get away with wearing it as a historical re-enactor, or to a certain party. It is a nice looking coat though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner