Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1910s Suits help

Cobden

Practically Family
I was wondering if anyone had, amongst their collections, any photos of British men (middle class, mid to late 20s-ish in age) in informal daywear from around 1910-15? Really struggling to ascertain the men's fashions from the time - have only come across American images (which I believe would be rather different to their British counterparts ),fashion plates - which merely demonstrate an ideal on men with impossible figures - or head and shoulders shots. If anyone has any other helpful info (trouser width at the ankle and knees would be quite useful, for example - though a long shot!) it would be much appreciated. Workings mens clothes I have plenty of images of, but the more middle class stuff...not so much.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
img035.jpg

img034.jpg

img033.jpg

img032.jpg

1900_e.jpg

1913_tennis.jpg

the first four were illustrating the big jacket phase of the early 1910s.
but not all jackets were that weird; the tennis one is 1913

Cobden

Practically Family
Many thanks gents. The big jackets seem rather common in photos of men joining up in 1914 (which is why I am inquiring - I freely admit I do not exactly find the look particularly stylish; I'd go as far as to say it's pretty hideous!)- great to see such things in detail!

What surprises me is that I always assumed this was something of a working class fashion - but your pics (and the following pic I found when it occurred to me to look up Titanic passengers) confirmed that it may merely have been an exaggeration of the middle and upper class fashion.

titanic-passengers.jpg

Still, I wonder why Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs/Titanic etc. always seem to have the men in the more 1900s style of clothing

Cobden

Practically Family
Because most men wore more conservative styles. Below is an example from 1914. A fashion plate, yes, but not in any way an impossible figure.
BlackVicunaLounge_Aug1914.png

Thanks for that; as I say, I understand that those plates show a somewhat exaggerated version of the fashion - even with that plate, though, the jacket appears to have little shaping at the waist, and the bottom of the jacket is below the trouser crotch, both features seem very much to be the norm for the period (but don't appear in TV/films). In fact, I've not come across pictures showing anything but whilst thumbing through books and googling historical events of the period.

Trafalgar-square.jpg

PankhurstArrest2.jpg

jsphlrche.jpg

recruits_1914_large.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It is difficult to be certain of the date for these photos but I estimate them to be roughly in the right period. To be best of my knowledge all the photographs show what might be referred to as the skilled working class of the period: engineers. They were all ( as far as I know) employed at Allens engineering works in Bedford and these were Trade Union outings. Indeed, one of the photos is taken outside the union building (it's still there and has hardly changed).

Cycling trip:
cycleclub_zps8df9170c.jpg

The following pics show examples of the popular style of jackets with low pockets on both breasts:
cycleclubcrop2_zpsd3fad345.jpg

cycleclub-crop1_zps518c2f23.jpg

cycleclubcrop3_zps3d20b822.jpg

cycleclubcrop4_zpse37563fe.jpg

Flat caps:
cycleclubcrop5_zps63d03bee.jpg

Fishing trip (photographed outside the Sun Inn, Felmersham):
thesuninn_zps4221e70a.jpg

jacket with very long lapels:
thesuninncrop1_zpsc1082575.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A Trade Union outing:
Unionouting_zps0400c089.jpg

very short ties:
Unionoutingcrop3_zpsff134fcc.jpg

Unionoutingcrop1_zps7402dcbf.jpg

my great-grandfather dressed up for the occasion, but failed to tuck in the 'dicky' shirtfront:
Unionoutingcrop2_zps5075d8e4.jpg

Outside the Trade Union club, about to go on a cycling trip:
UnionHQAlexandraRoad_zps80a032d1.jpg

More of the jackets with the low double pockets:
UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop1_zpsb05bc316.jpg

UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop2_zps910e57cc.jpg

a very small bow tie:
UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop4_zpsf22044a0.jpg

long jacket without breast pocket - with a very skinny tie:
UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop3_zpsdaeccb5e.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
Those are fantastic pics - thank you very much! Timeframe certainly appears to be wartime (judging by the soldier outside the union club); shame flat caps (as opposed to newsboys) are hard to find in true ecky thump proportions these days

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
For an oversize flat cap try Oliver Brown:
[IMGhttp://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mens-caps-oversized.jpg

[url]http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/oliver-brown-tweeds/tweed-oversized-cap.html[/url]

I'm wearing one of mine today.

Or try Johnny J, he can make you one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner