Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1911 Niagara Falls, New York

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
I always wondered how cold it had to be for Niagara Falls to freeze up. I always wondered how long it took the falls to freeze and at what temperature?

35693887_o.jpg

35693911_o.jpg

35693902_o.jpg

35693898_o.jpg

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Niagara Falls 1969

This is how Niagara Falls looked when the Army Corps of Engineers shut off the American Falls in 1969 to clean up rock and debris.

35822347_o.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My dad grew up in Niagara falls so he remembers some of the freezes. I've been on every Niagara tour possible, Maid of the Mist, the caves behind the falls, over the falls in a helicopter, boat tour of the whirlpool, etc.

My dad used to play there as a kid, apparently he is lucky to be alive on several counts, there wasn't as much safety then.

That is probably the 1848 stoppage. I found this online:

On six reported occasions (1883, 1896, 1904, 1909, 1936 and 1947), the water flow over American Falls has been totally blocked by ice and ceased to fall. But only once has this happened to the much larger Horseshoe Falls (originally known as the Canadian Falls): March 29-31, 1848, the Days Niagara Falls Went Dry.

Here's what happened:

A strong but slow-moving storm system passing through Lake Erie basin was the most logical suspect in the water flow stoppage. Weather reports indicated that for several days prior to March 29, strong easterly winds drove ice blocks and pack ice back into the open lake waters. Then on the 29th, the winds suddenly reversed direction, coming strongly from the west and southwest, and drove the lake ice rapidly toward the neck of Lake Erie and the Niagara River entrance, somewhere between Fort Erie and Buffalo. The combined force of wind, current and waves jammed the ice blocks together in such a manner that a completely impenetrable ice dam was formed. Thus, waters no longer flowed through the Niagara River toward Lake Ontario and the Niagara Falls.

It does get awfully cold in Niagara Falls in the winter though, brr!

Becky

New in Town
long hard cold

I grew up in Niagara Falls. During the blizzard of '77 we received temperatures (windchill) of -40F To freeze this amount of water would require a sustained period of artic cold air, for at least 2 to 3 weeks. ~Becky~

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
I went to Niagara years ago,and loved it.

There's this kinda cheesey 4 level museum that you can see all the different things people used to go over the Falls.The rusted ship that still remains there creeps me out.

I would've loved to have been there for the freezes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925