Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Nice hats, Mojito. Amazing detailing.

Mojito said:
Need to get some photos of the first vintage 20s shoes that have ever fitted me actually on my feet...

The silver shoes you bought (saw them on your blog) were from a very good friend of mine! Saw they went to Napier. Glad they've gone to a good home. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh, she's a doll, Miss Sis! Lovely seller - I'd buy from her again in a heartbeat. And the shoes were a hit - I was careful with them of course, and only wore them to the Opening Soiree (although I did dance a little Charleston Stroll with Walter while I was there...)

Foofoogal

Banned
the first showing some Russian influences (reminds me of Bakst's designs), and the second has a certain Chinoise thing going on:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I am so, so, so glad Mojito knowing there are people like you enjoying, collecting and preserving such treasures as those hats and your clothing in general. :eusa_clap

Louise Anne

Suspended
I very much like this look or styles from the early 20's, for me it's the cut of the jacket and skirt also the details even down to the stocking which I think great.
Image1.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Paul, I agree - the early 20s look as a whole appeals to me more than the later 20s.

Despite having no reason to wear an early 20s dress, I am seriously wanting to make one! :) I think it is the very long slender lines that I like.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Miss Sis said:
Paul, I agree - the early 20s look as a whole appeals to me more than the later 20s.

Despite having no reason to wear an early 20s dress, I am seriously wanting to make one! :) I think it is the very long slender lines that I like.

I agree it's a sort of ultra feminine look which attracts me to these styles, they would look a little odd ben worn to day apart from at a deco event.

Mojito

One Too Many
(Missed your comment earlier, Foofoogal...thank you!).

Miss Sis and Pauline, I'm very partial to the early period as well (oh, alright then...I love the whole decade and most of its styles). Those transitional styles...the barrel skirts, the wandering waist, the wonderful hats...

One of my dresses that I haven't photographed is a tabard evening gown c. 1922...sap green, velvet open sided at the top with a tight fitting brighter green silk bodice, gathered and draped at the hip, beaded neckline and sash. Next time it's out of the box I'll see if I can get a photo...it's one of the first pieces I ever bought.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Mojito said:
(Missed your comment earlier, Foofoogal...thank you!).

Miss Sis and Pauline, I'm very partial to the early period as well (oh, alright then...I love the whole decade and most of its styles)..

You have such I great collection of outfite Mojito I think it would be great to see the photos set out in a sort of time line style so we can see the change in style as the years passed.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Mojito said:
One of my dresses that I haven't photographed is a tabard evening gown c. 1922...sap green, velvet open sided at the top with a tight fitting brighter green silk bodice, gathered and draped at the hip, beaded neckline and sash. Next time it's out of the box I'll see if I can get a photo...it's one of the first pieces I ever bought.

I'd love to see a photo! The tabard-style gown is my favourite 1920s look, I think.

Mojito

One Too Many
I'll see what I can do about photos of the tabard, Pauline and Puzzicato. I have a couple of other tabard-style early 20s dresses as well - will fossic around and see if I can find photos of them as well.

Here's a new acquisition that I find quite interesting - I recognised it as a very close imitation of a Jean Patou gown. We've started unpicking the crude alterations (just tacking up the hem and pulling in the sides). I'll write it up on my blog soon with closeups of the beadwork and some information on the original Patou dress. It does have a Paris label, intriguingly enough:

DSC03123.jpg

Louise Anne

Suspended
I do not think I can better Lauren's two words. it's great to see your new dress and what a good home it gone too.

I was talking on Saturday to a vintage dealer and she says that she passes over 20's as they are so fragile these days to put in a shop.

Thank you for posting

Mojito

One Too Many
Thank you, Lauren, Pauline and Salsanadia! Most of the restoration to it has now been complete.

I bought some lovely new pieces in the UK when I was over there - a couple of Victorian items, and a beautiful velvet tabard covered head to toe in gold bullion thread embroidery - quite unlike anything else in my collection! Possibly even more gorgeous, though, is a blue and black sequinned dress with art deco roses embroidered in chenille. I'll photograph them as soon as possible.

Foofoogal

Banned
On this note a bit :eek:fftopic:

What is one to do with a 1920s piece that definitely has flaws. Seems for the lines they could be used for a pattern or study. I have a fab childs dress that I have no idea what to do with it. Bottom nearly in tatters but so cute.
Is there a specific place for old items to be appreciated like this I do not know about?

Mojito

One Too Many
Sadly, I don't think so, Foofoogal (although I'd love someone to tell me if there was!). I always tell people that collecting 20s will break their hearts - they'll meet so many pieces that were clearly amazing once, but which are now merely glorious ruins.

My general rule of thumb with less than solid garments from the era is only to purchase and conserve unrestorable damaged pieces if they're notable - rare, designer, etc. Otherwise, they might as well be repurposed if there's enough textile there, recycled for beading, or used for patterns. It breaks my heart as someone who loves the past (and who works in interpreting and conserving it), but we simply don't have the resources to save and properly stabilise and/or restore, let alone store, every piece. I'd have to move out to accommodate the dresses if I tried to house every lovely, ruined dress I've fallen in love with.

Record it, use the pattern, and if you can salvage some of the textile. Unless it's a rare example, or you can find someone to give it a good home.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Mojito said:
Sadly, collecting 20s will break their hearts - they'll meet so many pieces that were clearly amazing once, but which are now merely glorious ruins.

Record it, use the pattern, and if you can salvage some of the textile. Unless it's a rare example, or you can find someone to give it a good home.

Too true Mojito

The only other thing I could suggest would be to take a set of photos showing the details of the dress and put them on the web somewhere so people could see your item and also others might follow with items that are past repair, making a sort of visual reference libary for the future about by gone dresses.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Ah, there you are love! I simply had to type in 'whimsy' instead of all sorts of combinations of 1920s to find this thread.:) Now I just need to find a bob thread on Beauty I'm sure I've seen but of course I could be imagining things.:eek:

Due to changes in daily routines which has meant that 3/4 of the time I used to have to myself have been cut out and I'm losing weight which is good, the retro 1950s style I've favored until now has become impractical on weekdays. I've always liked the 20s (and the 30s) but until now, retro 50s seemed easiest for day wear and suits my figure when I have a few extra lbs. to carry around.

I can't afford to replace my wardrobe entirely but I have a few 1920s inspired retro dresses and tunics that with the addition of a low belt or scarf tied at the hips could give them a 1920s feel. However, I'm very petite and have a very short waist so the dropped waistlines on the retro dresses fall to my mid thighs instead of the hips. Major faux pas?!

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy looking at and reading this thread with more serious eyes than before.:)

Louise Anne

Suspended
Lillemor said:
Ah, there you are love!
Anyway, I'm going to enjoy looking at and reading this thread with more serious eyes than before.:)

There are a lot of modern fashion which have a 20's look to them and can be combined into outfits, shoes at the momnet stand out for me as been able to do that well.

It's a great period and more feminine than most give credit to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot