Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

Lillemor

One Too Many
Paul said:
There are a lot of modern fashion which have a 20's look to them and can be combined into outfits, shoes at the momnet stand out for me as been able to do that well.

It's a great period and more feminine than most give credit to

I agree. Mary Janes have always been a stable in my wardrobe and if I dig deep enough I know I have a pair of t-bar sandals but it's almost too late for that.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just got my hair bobbed. I can't believe how much it raises the retro 1920s appearance of even the most modern of retro 1920s outfits.:) It's not a classic earlope length though. That'll have to wait until *wishing* my financial situation changes.:rolleyes:

Amie

One of the Regulars
I didn't know if I should post this under the vintagey shoes thread, but speaking of Mary Janes, I was wondering where I could find a nice pair of 20s inspired shoes that are not too high and has a nice curve on the heel. The only shoes that I've found that come close to that style are Capezios and lord knows you can't wear those outside. Also, tic tac toe shoes has some decent street soled Mary Janes and they also sell higher quality shoes at American Apparel that I like:
serve.asp
but I don't think it quite fits the bill.

Any other suggestions?

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
oh the sheer beauty of these outfits all you girls have collected is just mind blowing! I love the look of the twenties it's just not a particularly good look on me lol 5'2" hourglass figure that I have.

I love the Phryne Fisher books and artwork. The descriptions of the clothing and acoutrements are wonderful

http://www.phrynefisher.com/books.html

The other thing that sprang to mind when I read about minimiser underwear was the film "Thoroughly Modern Millie", the scene when Julie Andrews is having issues with the hang of her beads due to her bust size. lol

Mojito

One Too Many
Amie said:
I didn't know if I should post this under the vintagey shoes thread, but speaking of Mary Janes, I was wondering where I could find a nice pair of 20s inspired shoes that are not too high and has a nice curve on the heel. The only shoes that I've found that come close to that style are Capezios and lord knows you can't wear those outside. Also, tic tac toe shoes has some decent street soled Mary Janes and they also sell higher quality shoes at American Apparel that I like:
serve.asp
but I don't think it quite fits the bill.

Any other suggestions?
Hi Amie!

I tend to just keep an eye out - particularly with winter styles, sometimes you can find Mary-Janes, t-straps and oxfords with a Louis style heel around the 2.5 inch mark, which is what you're after. Here's an example of the style of shoe that comes in around winter that I find works:

http://sydneyflapper.livejournal.com/tag/oxford pumps

The Italian shoe company Campers does a nice t-strap with a Louis heel - I'll see if I can dig up a photo of them. It seems to recur each season in their line.

If your budget accomodates it, My Vintage Sole does a lovely range of 1920s style repros - here's a three strap version in gold that have street soles:

http://sydneyflapper.livejournal.com/tag/1920s reproduction shoes

A cheap alternative is the dance shoe company DSOL - not high quality, but relatively inexpensive and with a bit of shape (not as much as I'd like, but still workable). They don't do separate street soles, but I wear them every year and they're fine for casual wear.

The two-tone oxfords in this pic is an example of their work - you can select the same heels for Mary-Jane and other styles:

Ingmasoniccars.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
40'sfetish said:
oh the sheer beauty of these outfits all you girls have collected is just mind blowing! I love the look of the twenties it's just not a particularly good look on me lol 5'2" hourglass figure that I have.

I love the Phryne Fisher books and artwork. The descriptions of the clothing and acoutrements are wonderful

http://www.phrynefisher.com/books.html

The other thing that sprang to mind when I read about minimiser underwear was the film "Thoroughly Modern Millie", the scene when Julie Andrews is having issues with the hang of her beads due to her bust size. lol
But the dutch doll hairstyle in your avatar is so fabulous! I'm another Phryne fan, of course :) The fashion is such tremendous fun, even if ocassionally ever so slightly anachronistic (some of the hats in her Christmas book were based on Erte's designs early in the decade rather than in 1928 - 29 when the books are set).

Ah yes - the bead-hang issue!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Lillemor said:
I agree. Mary Janes have always been a stable in my wardrobe and if I dig deep enough I know I have a pair of t-bar sandals but it's almost too late for that.

What you got to remember ladies did not change the wardrode over night becuse it was the twenties they grew into the look gradually, sounds like that what your also doing. and takes a few guts also today to take on the 20's styles .
Well done with your hair and hope you enjoy the new style.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:

Mojito thank you so much and your DSOL and Vintage Sole shoes look gorgeous. I'm digging these from DSOL although I'm not too crazy about the strap placement:

680503.jpg

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
Mojito said:
But the dutch doll hairstyle in your avatar is so fabulous! I'm another Phryne fan, of course :) The fashion is such tremendous fun, even if ocassionally ever so slightly anachronistic (some of the hats in her Christmas book were based on Erte's designs early in the decade rather than in 1928 - 29 when the books are set).

Ah yes - the bead-hang issue!

The hair I can wear lol just not the clothes so well, having a D cup bust, small waist and broad hips does horrible things to the hang of 20's style clothing. I lean towards the 40's these days as it suits my figure better and we do swing dancing (does include the 20's charleston though...) so I'm building my collection in that direction.

You have an amazing collection Mojito, wonderful to see a collection of that calibre here in Aus.

Mojito

One Too Many
Amie said:
Mojito thank you so much and your DSOL and Vintage Sole shoes look gorgeous. I'm digging these from DSOL although I'm not too crazy about the strap placement:

680503.jpg
Those shoes aren't too bad at all, Amie - I have a pair and just use them mostly for fairly casual daywear, as they're fairly neutral:

NapierDay3JillIngAlisonMasonic-1.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
How did I miss your post, Lillemor? So glad you've bobbed your hair - how convenient are you finding it? I love the ease of the bob!

Mojito

One Too Many
40'sfetish said:
The hair I can wear lol just not the clothes so well, having a D cup bust, small waist and broad hips does horrible things to the hang of 20's style clothing. I lean towards the 40's these days as it suits my figure better and we do swing dancing (does include the 20's charleston though...) so I'm building my collection in that direction.

You have an amazing collection Mojito, wonderful to see a collection of that calibre here in Aus.
You're very kind :) and that bob must look amazing with a 40s ensemble with a nipped in little waist!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Mojito said:
How did I miss your post, Lillemor? So glad you've bobbed your hair - how convenient are you finding it? I love the ease of the bob!

A little too convenient.;) I find that it bends under on its own. Except for the length it's nearly vintage on its own. I wish it would hang straight for a more Egyptian look though but I'm against using heated appliances on my hair.

At first I thought she'd tapered the bottom against my will because I wanted a bob mainly to get rid of damage and layers but there isn't the slightest tapering on close inspection. Guess this is the perfect length for me. It'll flip out if it grows a little longer. That could be my trimming guideline.

I'm still adjusting the amount of hair care products I need to use. Yesterday my bob was horribly greasy. I just wish I could get a picture of the shine!:) I don't even have bad hair if I come in from the rain like a soaked puppy.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Paul said:
What you got to remember ladies did not change the wardrode over night becuse it was the twenties they grew into the look gradually, sounds like that what your also doing. and takes a few guts also today to take on the 20's styles .
Well done with your hair and hope you enjoy the new style.

That's so true. I see a lot of retro 20s styles in catalogues for more mature women that look closer to authentic in cut and lengths than the retro 20 styles for younger women and all of them look like wash, line dry and wear styles. Couldn't get easier.:)

I find that the clothes I have now mainly fit with the 1922-24 top styles and 1927-28 length wise. I checked the fashion templates on fashion era again. I found that site long before I discovered FD it's been a good reference for me for the different decades and intra decade changes.

Mojito

One Too Many
My 1920s shoes...

SAM_0008-1.jpg

And their original owner, Marion, wearing them:

Shoeswedding-1.jpg

How are we all going with the 20s collections? I have swags of "new" (old) goodies I need to photograph!

Marla

A-List Customer
My 1920s shoes...

SAM_0008-1.jpg

And their original owner, Marion, wearing them:

Shoeswedding-1.jpg

How are we all going with the 20s collections? I have swags of "new" (old) goodies I need to photograph!

Lovely! The 1920s had the most attractive shoes. What's the backstory on these?

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Mojito, those shoes are incredible!! How amazing that they come with a provenance, too.

A while ago I posted on the "cleaning vinatge clothes" thread asking for advice about this 20s dress I found in the attic of our "new" house (new to us-- it was built in the 1820s and had been in the same family until my mom bought it). Well, a little disinfecting spray and days of airing out later, and here it is:

The picture's not the best, but it's made of a floaty chiffon. It's very fragile, so I'm not going to regularly wear it, but it's so lovely, and it was free!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner