Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
that's one of the suits that Eddie Schave posted a while ago in this very thread (most of the photo links are now dead). i didn't realise some of them were still for sale.
i think that fabric is fine for caps. i wouldn't wear a whole suit in it though.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Vest has an interesting shape where the buttons are sewn, I've never seen anything like it elsewhere.

here's the same thing on a shawl collar waistcoat, probably French, late teens - early 20s:

_1020354_zps594882e8.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, could be an european thing. Half of my german waistcoats have it too.
It means you have to close the bottom button too otherwise it would look wrong.

DamianM

Vendor
that's one of the suits that Eddie Schave posted a while ago in this very thread (most of the photo links are now dead). i didn't realise some of them were still for sale.
i think that fabric is fine for caps. i wouldn't wear a whole suit in it though.

Its a collegiate 20s suit. I would wear the whole suit if it weren't so small (38)

There was another vest there with amazing gradient wool. Crazy! again for collegiate wear.
No images for that.

Its rare to find suits of those fabrics.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
There was only one king of couture, the one whom Christian Dior called 'the master of us all', while Coco Chanel said he alone was 'a couturier in the truest sense of the word… Cristobal Balenciaga (1895–1972)

Balenciaga photographed by Boris Lipnitzki in 1927

cookie

I'll Lock Up
It is a mystery. It looks to me like a short knit tie that has been wrapped around the neck under the collar several times and the remaining short length pulled down and tight under the wraps?

A bloke at work with a long torso does some involved knot with a super short end and long tongue.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for owners of actual 1920's suits. I'm trying to see what the "common" pants cuff height was in the mid - late 20's. I know that not everyone cuffed their pants, but for the ones who did, is there a typical height? I thought I read somewhere on the lounge that a 2 inch tall cuff was fairly common. Is this pretty standard on your vintage 20's suits?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the Vanity Fair archives: The October 1926 issue

Some nice menswear, caps, Edward Steichen pictures, Jack Dempsey....and the pictures are easy to save too. I would hesistate to post them because of the copyright but the link to the original page will do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24