Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
They sound like good finds! Yes I can imagine caps were less precious than the more expensive felt hats. One for best and your old one for wearing for work (probably down the pit around here, so they wouldn't be worth saving!). Or alternatively you would JUST wear your cap for work, and have a felt hat for best.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I tend to see cheesecutter caps a plenty sold as vi tags they are not proper flat caps though they were around around as far back as the fifties, Terry Thomas wears a good examples in one of the St Trinians films along with sports jacket and cravat IIRC!
I have a reproduced vintage German cap pattern and a few suitable old tweed coats etc I just need a decent seamstress!

Last edited:

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
What an impeccable dresser mr. DW Griffith seems to have been!

2-dw-griffith-1875-1948-granger_zps9yh9zuwp.jpg

19061%20-%20United%20Artist%20Contract%20Signature_zpsgamsn5iu.jpg

United-Artists_zpsgc2moeuo.jpg

d-w-griffith1_zpspi8stuck.jpg

sy519c75_zpsmm8fqc6c.jpg

Dorothy_%26_Lillian_Gish,_D.W._Griffith.jpg

150313_BirthNation_DWGriffith.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium2_zpsw4frcsvx.jpg
cc_with_d.w._griffith_and_thomas_ince_on_keystone_stage_big_zpsyckzyaj7.jpg

d-w-griffith5_zpstqh7uab1.jpg
1122000283-l_zpsrioidtll.jpg

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Not a fan of Griffiths personally (for the obvious reasons) but he did have great personal style. Nice shots Dostioffsky. I also enjoy that type of stuff from early Hollywood(land) so keep them coming! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Not a fan of Griffiths personally (for the obvious reasons) but he did have great personal style. Nice shots Dostioffsky. I also enjoy that type of stuff from early Hollywood(land) so keep them coming! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh, I don't really know a thing about him. The clothes just caught my eye. I do agree about pictures of filmmaking/hollywood!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
He made 'Birth of a Nation', which, although heralded as one of the best pieces of early cinema ever, is also infamously one of the worst examples of racist propaganda. Includes men in blackface and the Ku Klux Klan as knights in shining armour, to point to milder examples. Don't want to stray into politics here, and also understanding that racism among white people was viewed very very differently back then (in an era still stinging from the blows of the Civil War), it's just that his work stands as one of the viler examples of racist popular culture from that time.
The thing is you can't look back at that time without taking into account this film and Griffith's impact on cinema.

Back to clothes though, I think the clothes of the great Rudolph Valentino and Harold Lloyd (despite him being a comic character) really epitomize that early-Hollywood look. Everything narrow and detailed, 'Brilliantined' to the gills!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
... I think the clothes of the great Rudolph Valentino and Harold Lloyd (despite him being a comic character) really epitomize that early-Hollywood look. Everything narrow and detailed, 'Brilliantined' to the gills!

as you probably know Eddie, it was Harold Lloyd's early 20s films that got me started on the 20s a few years ago.
if only i could go back in time and raid the wardrobe of a film like 'Girl Shy':

girl_shy_01_zps40da2498.png

girl_shy_02_zps70ef6786.png

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
He made 'Birth of a Nation', which, although heralded as one of the best pieces of early cinema ever, is also infamously one of the worst examples of racist propaganda. Includes men in blackface and the Ku Klux Klan as knights in shining armour, to point to milder examples. Don't want to stray into politics here, and also understanding that racism among white people was viewed very very differently back then (in an era still stinging from the blows of the Civil War), it's just that his work stands as one of the viler examples of racist popular culture from that time.
The thing is you can't look back at that time without taking into account this film and Griffith's impact on cinema.

Back to clothes though, I think the clothes of the great Rudolph Valentino and Harold Lloyd (despite him being a comic character) really epitomize that early-Hollywood look. Everything narrow and detailed, 'Brilliantined' to the gills!

Yes, I just read a little on him. Seems his aesthetics are more worthy of remembrance than his ethics!

Yes, Rudolph Valentino and especially Harold Lloyd's clothes are fantastic I think. I think in the case of Harold Lloyd is wasn't even so much of a (comedic) costume (he did try that before as the Lonesome Luke character) but just a 'hip and fashionable' - or 'snappy' as they might have said then - outfit. Buster Keaton in films where he wears 'normal' clothes, has some great looks too - and just as narrow:

644139d894c04e37e579cebe05e53d73.jpg

b180180d4883f2a0b3f9a0638879e783.jpg

79835316b37f8fead16a30b4a40d6753.jpg

85a2e99fa59ab3d222143b69c8499ed3.jpg

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
And just some more Harold Lloyd pictures - that I believe haven't been posted in this thread yet

91c778679735447dcf8d757772dc7e43.jpg

f11726618ea82024c56fbcb84f724443.jpg

(those shirt cuffs are so strange on the above pictures, super narrow sleeves too!)

523b95e0633df48324ab7067ea77e5ed.jpg

c1869d8fc3afc3b20896f6ba4ae65912.jpg

3c818179927e0843a6939d4b8b4066f7.jpg

4a2d4d15d1050add386198affbeae1dd.jpg

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Great pictures gents! D'you know, I think specs suited Lloyd more than not! I'm on the hunt for a pair just like his (I have to wear specs all the time now really) but I've really struggled :(

Even where he's a little disheveled, it is still and endearing look!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've been combing ebay uk recently for photos of men in early 20s British suits, and think i may have found a British narrow-wrap DB (a Brit version of the 1918-23 U.S. type we've seen much evidence of in this thread).

if this is British (and i can't prove it although, the postcard back looks like other British postcards) then this is the first British example of this style i've found:

early_20s_Brit_narrow_wrap_LO_RES_zps3hpo5i8t.jpg

early_20s_Brit_narrow_wrap_detail_zpsq0cyix2u.jpg

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
i've been combing ebay uk recently for photos of men in early 20s British suits, and think i may have found a British narrow-wrap DB (a Brit version of the 1918-23 U.S. type we've seen much evidence of in this thread).

if this is British (and i can't prove it although, the postcard back looks like other British postcards) then this is the first British example of this style i've found:

early_20s_Brit_narrow_wrap_LO_RES_zps3hpo5i8t.jpg

early_20s_Brit_narrow_wrap_detail_zpsq0cyix2u.jpg

There's an example of that style in that 'Vintage Menswear' postcard book. A fellow wearing a blazer in just that style. I don't have the book to hand, so sorry for only the description. Have you replicated the look yourself HBK?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points