Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's vintage WEBSITE designer??

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I'm a traditionalist architect in Boston, and I need a good web designer who also has an eye for the vintage look of "Better Homes & Gardens" magazines, etc., of the 1920's.

I love the way houses were photographed, blocked, and featured in the classic house magazines from the Golden Age of American residential design (circa. 1916-1932).

Any of you hipsters also hip to web design?

Thanks,

BigLittleTim

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Careful with whomever you hire; I've met a lot of artists with a great eye for design who couldn't code their way out of a commodore 64, and just as many great coders who can't even pick a decent color scheme.

Actually, as an architect, you should understand that very well. You need to be able to design buildings that look good and don't fall down. Same thing with a web designer.

adamjaskie said:
Careful with whomever you hire; I've met a lot of artists with a great eye for design who couldn't code their way out of a commodore 64, and just as many great coders who can't even pick a decent color scheme.

This is why I went the DIY method. Paid three designers to build the site for me and never got what I wanted. The last guy did a good job - that was on the old site - but I couldn't post viideo or audio or rotate banners, etc., so I wound up taking three months and rebuilding.

I suggest looking into Joomla. The basic platform is free and most of the professionally built third party add-ons are very reasonably priced. There are some browser-specific issues that need to be worked out, however, such as flash banners not looping in Firefox. If you don't expect the site to change too much, then html web 2.0 is the way to go, but if you're going to be adding content and want to do it yourself (and not learn html code), a content management system is a better choice.

Regards,

Jack

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Adamjaske,
That's my fear, summed up in a nutshell. The guy who can create a vintage look website won't have the skills to make it run. The guy who knows computer code will have the aesthetic sense of a block of wood.

Sen. Jack,
I have submitted your reply to the Harvard Graduate School faculty, as I could understand only about one third of it. ;)
I'm such a luddite, I don't dare try the DIY route.

I'm going to talk to a few people and look at their portfolios and talk to past clients. Buyer beware, as in all things.

Cheers, mates.

BigLittleTim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot