Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1927 film: How to Use the Dial Telephone

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOGxK5JcEU

This was made for the Pacific Tel. & Tel. Co. in 1927, to be shown in Fresno, Calif., in preparation for the coming of dial phone service in May of that year.

A silent film, it uses some nicely done animated sequences to explain the new audible signals: dial tone, busy signal, and ring signal.

A title card notes that the "dash" in the new 5-digit number is not to be dialed, presumably to save people the 1927 equivalent of looking for the "any" key.

You wonder what the theater pianist or organist did while this ran off, except medley back and forth between All Alone (By the telephone) and Hello! Frisco, Hello!

Josephine

One Too Many
That's neat! The animation was interesting (though I would have liked the fade out to be quicker ;) and the finger waves! :)).

I did like another video that was there, "I have to dial my own phone?" Part one: Cranky grandpa has just one friend he likes to call on the phone. When the telephone company comes to town and tells grandpa to dial the number himself, there's gonna be h*ll to pay!

And part two: Grandpa watches phone company's presentation about how to dial your own call, but the jury's still out. Will he buy into their plan? Will he stay cranky? Watch and see the thrilling conclusion!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I liked how the woman, after finding the number, picked up the reciever and started to speak into the phone before catching herself. lol

funneman

Practically Family
That's great fletch, a terrific find.

At seven minutes plus, i'm guessing there was a major run on the concession stand about halfway through this thing.

Great catch Nick D! I like the fact that they left it in. A sure sign this was a "One Take Wonder".

:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo