Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1928-1932 Spalding Leather Flight Suit

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
With its offset zip, belted waist, zipped cuffs and large map pocket, type of suit is one of the main sources of design inspiration for early motorcycle jacket designs.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The helmet and boots are both original to the suit, late '20s. I just got in some vintage ads showing all three pieces. I'll post them once I get them scanned.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely amazing find! Museum quality. Does it have a back story? I haven't read through your entire picking thread. You are in a picking league by yourself.

What is the leather?

mihai

A-List Customer
Fantastic suit, congratulations. If I may ask, where did you find it? It is so rare, I'd feel guilty wearing it.
The bottom part resembles to my early 30s A-1 pants (Switlik Parachute) - see a sample here(http://stumptown-traders.blogspot.lu/2012/02/ww2-1-horsehide-flight-pants-by-switlik.html). Mine are in much better shape than the blog pair.
The upper part might resemble to the B-1 jacket. How does a B-1 jacket look like? Anyone has an idea?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Leather feels like capeskin, the lining is a silk pile. I think the boots are horse. I got the original ads for the suit yesterday, and as you can imagine, this kind of specialty suit was super expensive new. Endorsed by Lindbergh! This design predates the A1 / B1 design by a couple of years, but you can definitely see where the army got some ideas from. I wish I knew more on the provenance, the dealer I bought it from bad their facts on it all mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
That's a really nice example, Dinerman. It's interesting that the interior lining looks nearly identical to the 1st generation Werber B-2 jacket/A-2 trousers before they changed to the wool blanket liner. Thanks for sharing with us.

Noel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko