Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Aero Slim Halfbelt from Insurrection

Cooperson

One Too Many
HighandDry - Could you tell me how you find the sleeves, is it possible to get your hands past the cuffs without unbuttoning them?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I remember reading that the button cuffs can be tight. However, these cuffs are pretty loose and there is no problem slipping your hand through or wearing a big watch. They are not so big that the sleeves pull past your hands. The actual sleeve length goes to my knuckles.

I suspect that the guys at Insurrection specified the cuffs to be a bit larger.

Last edited:

univibe88

One Too Many
Highanddry - that is a great looking jacket! It fits you perfectly.

Horsehide - we'd love to see some pictures. You need to upload your pictures to something like photobucket, smugmug, picasa web, etc. Then when you are posting, click the little icon that says "insert image" and enter the url/link for your picture. PM me if you have questions.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
This is a nice jacket, I'm asking myself about the size of the jacket I ordered.

I ordered 1930's Halfbelt and give my measurements (and measurements of a jacket that fit me well) to Amanda, she suggested a size 40 but all of my jacket are 42.
So I hesitated and go with a 42 just to be sure. So if I want to put layer under the jacket it won't be too tight.

What do you think people, should I go with a 40 or 42.

Last edited:

holdencain

One of the Regulars
I re-confirmed with Amanda and she said a 40 would be best, so I changed my order.

I am 6"1 and 200-ish (190-210). I went with a 42 that had "tighter turns" taken, which was allegedly to give a bit more room. I was concerned bc I wear a 43 suit.
I can tell you that the jacket is NOT too tight. I am not sure if I could have taken a straight 42...perhaps. I was just worried it would be too slim for me. Does anyone know how much more room is garnered from tighter turns? I can wear a sweater underneath without issue. My side buckles are cinched a decent bit. I will post some pics.
HC

Gancho

One of the Regulars
good evening,

it means that they cut, for example, a regular 42. when they stitch the jacket, they make tighter turns at the seams. So the jacket become a little bit bigger.

Cheers

Olli

mrc

Familiar Face
HighandDry,

I'm off to Insurrection today after work to try on their Aero Cafe' Racers. I gave them a call yesterday and Sally said that they have both a 38 and a 40 in stock. I, like you, don't know which size is going to be best on me, but it's really great that Seattle has a place like Insurrection to try on Aero leather jackets. Sally also told me about the specifications that were made to the Cafe' Racer and it sounds like Insurrection has made some really nice improvements to Aero's stock jacket (different back, added length, leather facing, etc.). I am definitely excited to see this jacket and possibly be going out tonight in a great new piece of outerwear!

mrc

Familiar Face
Snap some pics if it isnt too late. Specially of the back.

I'll snap some pictures as soon as I get a chance. Right now, I'm headed out for the night, but I can tell you that the Aero Cafe' Racers have a much "fuller" back than a lot of vintage jackets (I sure tried on a lot today) such as Bates or Brimaco. I really do like the Aero Cafe' Racer fit, as it is so nice and tight at the waist and then tapers up to a larger back. I think if I wanted a cafe' racer with an incredibly slim back, I would have waited until Insurrection gets the Aero-made Buco J-100 replica jackets.

Certainly, I love my new jacket! Thanks Insurrection!

HighandDry, you are so right about the value of being able to try these jackets on. I came into Insurrection today thinking I would probably be a 38 more than a 40, but the 40 was the perfect fit. Yet, Sally sized me up right away and told me that the 38 would be too small. She has a pretty darn good eye.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I am a 38 normally, but I am a 40 in the Aero Cafe Racer, so it sounds right.
But you said they had done something special to the back?
I have a standard Aero Cafe racer so Im interested in what the modification is.

mrc

Familiar Face
I am a 38 normally, but I am a 40 in the Aero Cafe Racer, so it sounds right.
But you said they had done something special to the back?
I have a standard Aero Cafe racer so Im interested in what the modification is.

I'll get some pictures when my girlfriend gets back from NYC on Tuesday, but here's the back from Insurrection's website:

6565609_orig.jpg

Here's the back from another TFL member who posted his Insurrection-purchased cafe' racer (I think this user did some treatment technique to his jacket because the jackets in the store aren't wrinkled at all and Wade's isn't wrinkled either, even after a year of wearing it most everyday):

img3736o.jpg

See how the back is "fuller" than a traditional 1960s vintage cafe' racer jacket, which is very straight. I know that some like that really straight look, but I'm a fan of the larger upper portion in the pictures above. Also, I really like the modified back in the form of moon-shaped gusseting instead of a full action back that the Aero Cafe' Racers come with stock. If you'd like a really slim, straight fit, I'd go with either a nice vintage cafe' racer (again, I tried on a ton of them yesterday) or wait until Insurrection gets their Aero-made Buco J-100 Reproduction Cafe' Racers in stock. Yet, for me, the more robust upper shoulder area is absolutely incredible. I couldn't believe how many compliments I got last night while out on the town!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner