Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's drive down Wilshire Boulevard

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube_share;ohjQ7M_7EZo]http://youtu.be/ohjQ7M_7EZo[/video]
Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, California in the 1930's. Watch as the old cars duck and weave around the camera car.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My guess would be that this was filmed to be used projected onto the back window of a car in a movie scene. The principles driving along chatting. And I'll bet it was used over and over for years.
Very cool.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Some tantalizing glimpses of cars, starting with the Springfield-bodied Rolls-Royce in the opening minute of the film, to the badly smashed car on the back of the tow-truck (called a "wrecker" back then). Thanks for posting!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It seems to be the driver's choice, which part of the road he takes. Didn't they have lanes yet?

One can imagine Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, cruising down Wilshire during "one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down out of the mountain passes and make your hair curl and your skin itch." (I'm trying to recall what car Chandler told us he drove in the early stories -- I know he had an Olds convertible in the mid- to late Fifties. Anybody know?)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's Ralph's there at the corner, right, Angelinos? I only know it from some wonderful vintage color photos that were posted here of LA in 1942.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It seems to be the driver's choice, which part of the road he takes. Didn't they have lanes yet?

One can imagine Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, cruising down Wilshire during "one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down out of the mountain passes and make your hair curl and your skin itch." (I'm trying to recall what car Chandler told us he drove in the early stories -- I know he had an Olds convertible in the mid- to late Fifties. Anybody know?)

I knew about the Olds from the radio series. The only early car I'm familiar with is the circa 1938 Plymouth business coupe he drives in the 1946 film version of The Big Sleep.

i009700.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo