Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Dunn & Co. Homburg - US 7 1/8 Taupe.

This lovely British hat was made by Dunn & Co, I estimate in the 1930s, but who knows? It's marked "lightweight" on the sweatband and the felt certainly conforms to that term.

This hat is currently in a bit of a state, and is sold as a project/fixer-upper/collection filler/study piece. A black homburg in this condition, I would just throw in the bin: they're ten-a-penny. But I don't think I've seen another one - certainly not a British one - in this grey-ish brown with distinct pinkish hue The good news is that the felt is solid with only one 2 mm moth bite in a hidden position where the brim curls over on the left side. The bad news it will need a new sweatband (the sweatband is tearing away al around from the tape/reed - see pics) and a clean and reblock. Hence the very low price. It has either had something sitting on it, or it was creased for a long time in a C-crown (why?) and retains a stubborn crease around the back of the crown, which my recreasing skills haven't been able to neutralise. Also the rear of the crown has some discolouration that can be seen in the pictures. I don't know if this is a stain that would clean, or more serious discolouration/fading of the felt. I've gone over it today with a velvet hat pad to get the worst of the surface dust off, but it could use a proper cleaning.

It's marked a size 7 on a sticker under the sweatband, so US size 7 1/8. I measured around the sweatband and hese are the numbers: 22", 22.125", 22.125", for an average measurement of 22.0833". The hat is too big for my 7 LO head. I would put this into the large 7, small 7 1/8 range. The crown measures 4 3/4" on the sides, and the brim measure 2 1/4".

Take a gamble at £25 GBP on this hat. Worst case scenario, maybe it could be dyed? Shipping to be determined by destination. PM with interest or questions. Please look at the pics carefully to get an idea of the condition.

dunnhomburg1.jpg

dunnhomburg2.jpg

dunnhomburg3.jpg

dunnhomburg4.jpg

dunnhomburg5.jpg

dunnhomburg6.jpg

dunnhomburg7.jpg

dunnhomburg8.jpg

dunnhomburg9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads