Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's "english yarn" 3-piece

benstephens

Practically Family
Funnily enough, In a vintage clothing store I visited a little while ago, recommended by the Baron, they had a very similar suit in. I assumed from the jacket it was 1950s early 1960s, however, upon inspection of the inside pocket, it was dated to 1939.

It sup prised me, and the shop owner, who had until I showed him that assumed the same.

So I now keep an open mind, and feel that only close inspection may reveal its true date.

Kindest Regards

Ben

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It could be forties or fities done in a traditional style. That is the problem with dating custom tailored. But the skirt on the jacket is rather short and the buttons are old so it could be as early as thirties or maybe forties.

Either way, it is a fantastic suit ad a great price, especially for the size. Good score.

mike

Call Me a Cab
thanks guys! :)
I'm not really in the market to be buying much at the moment, but it was the right size at the right affordable price so..... pics to follow in a week or two when it arrives! I do like the fact it isn't overly accentuated in any direction. It could be a real working class rugged suit. I really like that idea, something I could wear to work or just as easily go on a hike! (errr that way I'm prepared if my boss tells me to do just that! :p )

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I would venture to guess that it may be 30s- there's a decent belly to the lapel that is further away from the camera and there's a nice roundedness to the skirt at the cutaway. The buttons also look pretty old- wasn't it an older style to put brown buttons on a gray suit? But I can see how it could be 50s- the lapels do run on the slightly narrower side and I don't see the welt sewn on the edge of the lapel.
Those shoulder measurements seem very slim for a 44" chest- only 17.5"!

Also, can anyone explain why some waistcoats have those back adjusters and others don't? There probably isn't an expanation, but none of my three-piece suits (30s, 50s, 60s) have them which is pain in the butt because tailors don't want to alter it too tight at the waist, so I lose that streamlined look from top to bottom.

the suits i've had without the waist adjusters were bespoke. but then i've had plenty bespoke suits that did have the adjusters.

who knows why some have ti and some don't. Customer preference?

I saw that one. Nice suit. The two watch pockets is an interesting feature that you don't see very much. And with the contrasting buttons. too!

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
after it got shipped late by the seller, it went via boat and then had to be altered some finally, first day wearing it to work...
DSCN1517.jpg

what do you think?
I can take more pictures of various aspects of it later. I really like how british double pleated pants look. I'm not sure what colors to wear with brown buttons/gray material, hope this doesn't look too bad..
DSCN1518.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Nice suit. Thank goodness it isn't destacable. lol
Yeah, I hate when that happens.

Srsly tho...:D
I agree that the 50s-early 60s is the most likely vintage based on the shape and set of the lapels. This changed, even as the British trouser cut stayed the same until the "mod" era.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Do You Bath Alone?lol lol

carter said:
Made in Barcelona. Looks interesting.

Can't wait to see photos of you in your new purchase. :)

That seller has had some interesting suits from that area on OFAS....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner