Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Fashion Slaughterhouse

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I must admit... I like the hissing cockroach broach! Although paying $80 for a $1 bug and no more than $3 in crystal rhinestones seem a bit too much for me. Especially when I have rhinestones already!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's another one for the list, although it isn't from the 1930s:

-- A mid-19th century set of men's shirt studs. Made with (ready?) the carapaces of scarab beetles:

Great. Watch out for the midnight crowd murmurring "Im Ho Tep...Im Ho Tep... Im Ho Tep..."

:eek:

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
The Victorians (and before - but it took off then) wore hair jewelry. Rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc., made from carefully washed, trimmed and braided locks of hair from a deceased loved one.

Actually, it wasn't always made from a deceased person's hair. It was common to make hair jewlery out of your own hair, a living family members, for someone else out of your own hair, or even complete strangers hair. They were fashionable accessories, after all!

Atomicblonde- I am actually learning how to do hair jewlery now. There is a fabulous book called "The Art of Hair Work" By Mark Campbell that is very instructive.

Ok, now the live cockroach brooch is just disturbing. *shudders* What if you lean back suddenly and your little friend is in the way? No more brooch? Ick!
-Stormi

funneman

Practically Family
My grandfather was into taxidermy. I always remember his house was filled with the strangest looking dead animals.

I still remember seeing a huge stuffed owl sitting on a tree branch with a stuffed field mouse under his right claw. When my grandmother died, my cousin took the owl and kept it for years, it finally fell apart.

But the weirdest by far was his strange fascination with alligators. To be sure, they were quite plentiful in the forties and fifties here in Florida.

He would stuff baby alligators so they stood on their hind legs, literally shove an electrical cord up their butt, and stick a light socket in their mouth, his idea of a nightlight. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and finding your way to the bathroom by the light of the stuffed gator! I did so for years.

Probably explains a lot about me!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I find monkey fur coats/trim to be rather disturbing, as the fur is *very* similar to human hair.
monkey.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

-- Mink heads (with glass eyes), paws and tails wrapped around ladies' shoulders.

Please add your own horrors to this list ...

Last year, a friend of my mother's knowing that I admire vintage items sent me a box of goodies. Of course I was excited, new stuff, who knows what I'll find. There were a couple of nice brooches, some necklaces, etc. Then on the bottom was a fur piece, I was excited because I had wanted a wrap around fox fur, but when I pulled this thing out, I screamed :eek:, and threw it across the room, literally. It had a head, eyes, and feet :eek: , I totally wasn't expecting that and, it reminded me way too much of my dog. There was no way I could wear that thing. To this day, it sits in a box in the bottom of a closet I barely ever go into and, my winter blankets are stacked on top of it.

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I find monkey fur coats/trim to be rather disturbing, as the fur is *very* similar to human hair.

Yeah, they really do, and it's really wierd. We were just looking at one at the Vintage Expo a couple of weeks ago. I think I read, though, that many of them are not actual monkey fur, but out of a breed of goat that looks and feels the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy