1930s German Sport Suit w/ knickers

Discussion in 'Vintage Finds and Deals' started by Patrick Hall, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Hyena Stomp

Hyena Stomp One of the Regulars

It's funny, I put in a bid, was automatically outbid and the guy with the highest bid put in another max bid. He either really wants it or has control issues.

2. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

The guys at Cinetex once told me that every now and then they're having some customers of the distinctly less appetising kind asking specifically for stuff with the darned ADEFA tag in it, all of them willing to shell out a fortune. Go figure...

3. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

this suit seems to pose a moral dilemma (for anyone small enough to fit into it). how do the Germans members feels about wearing a vintage suit with the ADEFA tag in it ?

4. herringbonekid

sorry about the typos in that last post. once more....

how do the German members feel about wearing a vintage suit with the ADEFA tag in it ?

5. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

While I've seen a few nice items sporting the ADEFA tag I've never bid on any of them. To me it simply doesn't feel right.

6. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

I would rip out the tag and then wear it.

A suit like this in bad condition and for a small price would be perfect to take to a tailor for copying. Why is this suit for sale again and again? I wouldn't shell out this kind of money for a suit that doesn't fit.

7. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

I won't shun a garment just because it has the label. But I don't fetishize it and don't value it more highly than any other period clothing.

And one shouldn't think that garments without this label are not connected to the political background of this period.

One has to keep in mind: Jews were a very significant part of German textile industry, trade and retail - also many tailor business were Jewish... after 1933 they were forced out and their business "aryanized".

Just one example: the "Grumach Brothers" was one of the largest textile wholesale business in greater Berlin. Their stuff (including suits, shirts, ties, hats etc.) was sold by countless retailers in and around Berlin - often even not tagged as "Grumach". The Grumachs were Jews, and in November 1938 their business was expropriated and became the German-owned "Woltex".
    One of the Grumach brothers, Max, originally a lawyer who entered the family business in 1933 after being evicted from his original job, committed suicide in November 1938 by throwing himself in front of a Berlin subway.

Then there is the whole issue of articles produced by forced labor during wartime... or stuff sold by department stores that were "aryanized". Etc. etc.

Of course the ADEFA tag has a specific blatant symbolism - I understand if some people don't want to wear it.

8. herringbonekid

i hadn't noticed this suit listed before. is it being listed by the same seller or sold by a new seller each time ?

9. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

I don't know, HBK. Papperskatt wrote that it was relisted for the second time.

10. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

I think to recall that it was originally described to be a bit larger... probably it turned out to be smaller than expected.

11. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

I live in germany and it's just part of the whole package when you collect 30s. For example: A book about photography can have a foreword by Hitler or one of his ministers. It's a sign of it's time. At least it helps dating. The adefa tag is the german NRA eagle or British cc41.

While I like to imagine a semifictional jeeves and Wooster setting I never really forget it wasn't that way here. It keeps us down to earth and sometimes makes us go serious when others like to joke around. For example I find military reenactment very dubious. Until a group has proven they are 100% correct I don't trust them

12. herringbonekid

i imagine there's a lot of Germans who wouldn't feel comfortable about wearing any clothing of the 30s-40s because of associations with the bad-politics of the time.

13. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.
    After all, part of the appeal of wearing A-2 jackets for me, is the symbolism of the victorious struggle AGAINST international fascism. Quite literally, the good war.
    As I have to remind my wife's (Japanese) family, they wouldn't be enjoying the quality of life they are today if Japan had actually won the war.

14. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

A-2 jackets, as any uniform or military item, of course has a much stronger, specific political/historical symbolism.

Civilian clothes are neutral - if one is fair and objective about it.
    Occasionally in Germany (if people are even able to recognize the period of the clothing) 30-40's clothing is associated with the political context of the time.
    One has to have good arguments... but I never had a problem.
    Most convincing is to point to the fact that civilian clothing was international and worn by opponents, victims and supporters of fascism alike.

15. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

I think in my case part of my reluctance to wear any ADEFA-tagged stuff stems from the fact that I'm from Polish-Jewish ancestry.

16. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Oh, right....forgot...you still can't edit posts in the part of the forum... :mad::eusa_doh:

17. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

One of the most interesting and most frustrating parts of FL. :D

18. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

And one of the most enduring, too... [huh]

19. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Absolutely. I can honestly say I like Germany and the Germans ... but I don't want to stand in a bar surrounded by Germans dressed in SS uniforms, even if their guns are replicas. I've done it once, and I don't ever want to do it again!!!

(The fact that one them appeared to be dressed in an SS dentist's uniform didn't make the situation any better - he was still aiming his 'toy' gun at a lifesize cardboard cut out of Barack Obama. Scary people!!)

20. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

So you should encourage them to wear German clothing from the 1920s ... lot's of lovely suits there.