Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s ski and winter wear: images

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
And some more:
img192.jpg

img193.jpg

img194.jpg

img195.jpg

img196.jpg

img197.jpg

img189.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Camp Hale begat Aspen.

"1941:The U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division begins training near Leadville at Camp Hale. Austrian native Friedl Pfeifer, who had been teaching at Sun Valley, is a member of the 10th Mountain Division and skis Aspen Mountain while on furlough. He vows to return after the war and develop Aspen into a world-class ski resort."

alden405 said:
img905.jpg

Camp Hale,1943

img920.jpg

Same again

alden405

A-List Customer
Friedl Pfeifer,is he in one of my photos

These pics are from a group once belonging to Walter Luther (KIA in Italy)

Sam

Feraud said:
I am surprised we have not seen more of these sporting outfits.
You would think people did not ski enough to wear them out. Or maybe they did.. [huh]

I suspect much of it got tossed.

I've long found alpine skiing tremendously romantic, even during my early years in Wisconsin, where the "mountains" are smaller than what we call hills out here. When I arrived in Seattle, in 1968, the best thing I had to say for the place was that a person could get to a real mountain ski area, with chairlifts and everything, in about an hour.

The main Seattle Goodwill store, the one that's still in operation, at 1400 S. Lane St., was just full of old ski equipment and attire back then, and they offered it at giveaway prices, because just about nobody wanted it. Skiing has benefitted greatly from advances in technology. Old ski equipment is torture to use in comparison to the modern stuff, and synthetic ski wear is almost infinitely more practical than what was worn back before my time. It's warmer and lighter. It sheds water. It's easier to move in. These are all such obvious attributes that they scarcely merit mentioning.

That doesn't entirely account for the paucity of vintage ski attire. Still, unlike hats (for instance), which went into storage or the donation bin or the trash can at about the same time those natural-fiber ski togs were going the way of all things, ski wear was a bit unusual. A large percentage of men wore fedoras, and if only a very small percentage of those hats survive, that's still a whole lotta hats. Can't say that about ski wear.

mothfighter

New in Town
Mysterious Mose said:
Gintown! Alles kits? Got any good boots lately?

No new boots yet, just keeping the collection in good shape,
(See Workboot thread)
Keeping my eyes open for the last surviving Dutch pair
of 1000 miles boots ;)

Filson Mack Cruiser and Cap waiting for Wintertime.

BTW: That Norwegian Cap on page 20 of the Denig catalog
appears to be of the "Stormy C"earflap variety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana