Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's vintage.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
you could rent some of the deanna durbin or judy garland movies from the late '30s for ideas for younger/casual looks! and "college swing" has a lot of great collegiate clothing in it.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Try high waisted skirts with suspenders! I love those and you can make them so the suspenders can button on and off. For more of a 30s look instead of a more flared skirt try a slimmer styled skirt with suspenders(early 30s).

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
So I looked and can't find any pictures of my skirt showing the suspenders. But I found this one:
4yearaniversary.jpg
Still the look I think you looking for. (hint hint wink wink I repro these skirts on a reg. basis so feel free to pm me......)

Samantha

Snookie

Practically Family
I've been getting really great blouses and sweaters at Forever 21 (and sometimes Urban Outfitters), and just pair them with a skirt that's knee length or longer. (stick to shorter lengths for a youthful look, but don't go above the knee if you want to remain period)

Go to the library and check out the book called Everyday Fashions of the Thirties as Pictured in Sears Catalogs. Study the silhouettes and details so you know what to grab and what to pass on when you're out shopping. (I happen to know that your local public library has that book, and if it's checked out they can order it from another branch for you.)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I second that!

The "Everyday Fashions" of the 20s and 30s and 40s books are one of the best investments you can make as a new vintage enthusiast. They are put out by Dover Books, they are paperback,and not expensive. But they show you, year by year, exactly what goes with what. And what real people wore!

Movies are good to a point, but remember that they were usually fantasy and escapism during the 30s - so often the clothes are way out of our range. No one really wore their emeralds in the bath!

I wouldn't do the Katherine Hepburn slacks look unless the event was in your own home (or you won't look very vintage). They were only considered appropriate for casual wear at home or during sports. Ladies always, always wore dresses and skirts.

And the biggest difference between 30s and 40s is indeed the skirt length, in the 30s they were mid-calf and crept up to just below the knee in the 40s.

And you must wear a hat if out of your home in the daytime. And you must put your hair up if it's long. That's the basics!

The 30s are my favorite era, I find them to be much more wearable than the 20s, and more flattering (on me) than the 40s - so I look forward to seeing your transformation!

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
As much as I like the clothes, I think I'll hold off. The clothes I've seen tend tyo emphasize the waist. (Which I've got none of!)

I'm scared. I've been trying to get my mother to take me to frenchys to get my hair done but as for doing it myself. I have no idea and she's of no help at all there.

Besides that I feel much more comfy slightly mixing styles.

Though, even with my long hair (un-hip, and very Victorian for a flapper) I'd love to wear a flapper gown, and kid boots! (Yes I know this is a very 20's style!)

And I'd love to go to a Deco meeting and meet you Miss 1929 but I fear I need the clothes and make up first! Usually I go aroud looking as pale as death. :eek:
Knowing nothing of make up.:(

Miss 1929

dahliaoleander said:
As much as I like the clothes, I think I'll hold off. The clothes I've seen tend tyo emphasize the waist. (Which I've got none of!)

I'm scared. I've been trying to get my mother to take me to frenchys to get my hair done but as for doing it myself. I have no idea and she's of no help at all there.

Besides that I feel much more comfy slightly mixing styles.

Though, even with my long hair (un-hip, and very Victorian for a flapper) I'd love to wear a flapper gown, and kid boots! (Yes I know this is a very 20's style!)

And I'd love to go to a Deco meeting and meet you Miss 1929 but I fear I need the clothes and make up first! Usually I go around looking as pale as death. :eek:
Knowing nothing of make up.:(

I'd love to meet you too, no matter what you have on!
It's perfectly OK to mix up styles - as long as you don't try to say it's all period like some people do...
I know that sometime we all come off as Fashion Nazis, but usually it is in the context of "I am going to a such and such event, what would be the right thing to wear" so we give you a description of the "right" thing. But I appreciate eclectism as much as the next person, and I encourage you to find whatever style makes you most happy!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
It's perfectly OK to mix up styles - as long as you don't try to say it's all period like some people do...
I know that sometime we all come off as Fashion Nazis, but usually it is in the context of "I am going to a such and such event, what would be the right thing to wear" so we give you a description of the "right" thing. But I appreciate eclectism as much as the next person, and I encourage you to find whatever style makes you most happy!

Well-said!

Not everyone here dresses 100% period-correct everyday (*ahem*), though a lot of us would know how if we wanted to. What's more important is developing your own, unique style, and whether or not it's all or part-vintage (or vintage-inspired) is up to you!

Experiment. Thrift. Learn what you love and what you don't by checking out Fedora Lounge threads, flickr/livejournal/other groups, fashion magazines, sites like hel-looks.com, etc. Take a costuming class, if possible. Flip through a fashion encyclopedia.

If you're self-conscious about dressing vintage, try slowly incorporating one or two unique vintage items into your regular wardrobe. Easy options are purses, since vintage purses and clutches are so classic and versatile. I started with hats.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:

Are you considering attending the "30's" picnic, or the La Ladies tea, or the BBQ?

IF not then what?

Speaking of the tea:

I am officially quaking in my little imaginary kid boots, for I've never attended one and fear I have horrible table manners, and inadequate clothes for such a ritzy setting and such lovely companions as the FL Powder-Room-Belles. :lol :(

Miss 1929

Im in northern CA

so it's hard for me to make any of the LA do's. Especially as most of the time I am working on weekends, I seldom can plan a trip out of town without losing money on it...:mad:

But! Labor Day Weekend, I will definitely be on the Queen Mary, I'll be the one in the lounge on the last night at the piano...adn I am hoping we will get a FL contingent together to come to that!
Even though it's a bar, it's a bar for the restaurant, so underage is OK.

I doubt that I will get to LA before that weekend...

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
gluegungeisha said:
Well-said!
Not everyone here dresses 100% period-correct everyday (*ahem*), though a lot of us would know how if we wanted to. What's more important is developing your own, unique style, and whether or not it's all or part-vintage (or vintage-inspired) is up to you!
I agree completely! That's the best part about it, you get the best of both worlds!

Mary

Practically Family
I've studied the books Everyday fashions of the 30's and 40's and I really think they are great resources. Are there any more books like this?

I've learned so much. I now know that I really love the early 30's look, it's assymetry, the waist and slim lines. And the simplicity and elegance and yeah I can go on and on. :)

I suppose it's good to look at old pattern so I will do that and search on e-bay and learn that way and look for old magazines.

Miss 1929, where have you learnt all you know about 30's fashion. Have you any more tips for beginners like me?

M

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I just got a gorgeous dress from the 1930s. I'll take a pic in it (once I get an underslip) because I'd love to learn how to make it as striking as possible. I have really fallen totally in love with the femininity of the 30s and would love to keep researching. Fabulous!

Miss 1929

Mary said:
I've studied the books Everyday fashions of the 30's and 40's and I really think they are great resources. Are there any more books like this?

Not too many that are that detailed! I hear they have put out a 40s one too, btw. Another book you will love is Those Glorious Glamour Years, it is a complete overview of the clothes from 30s movies!

Mary said:
I've learned so much. I now know that I really love the early 30's look, it's assymetry, the waist and slim lines. And the simplicity and elegance and yeah I can go on and on. :)
I suppose it's good to look at old pattern so I will do that and search on e-bay and learn that way and look for old magazines.

I will be putting some 30s Delineators up for sale in the Classifieds soon - I have some duplicates from my collection of the decade of 26-36. They were one of the best resources for me! As they were a popular magazine, but also the vehichle for Butterick to show their new patterns each month.

Mary said:
Miss 1929, where have you learnt all you know about 30's fashion. Have you any more tips for beginners like me?
M
You're on the right track! Lots of movies, magazines and just general fascination with the era got me into this mess! I would have to pick the era that is scarcest...

Mary

Practically Family
Wow Miss 1929! That book sounds amazing.

I'd like to get a hold of those magazines. Have you decided when you'll put them in the classifieds? I'm going to the contryside next week and won't have internet then. So I hope it will be later on. And would you plese post in this tread, cause I'm very bad at looking in the classifieds on a daily basis.

I'll google on Delinators to see what kind of magazine it was. I've got some old magazines of my own but they have very few pictures and are more about householdtips.

And everybody, please post pictures of your precious clothes!

M

Miss 1929

Pretty soon, I am broke!

Mary said:
Wow Miss 1929! That book sounds amazing.

I'd like to get a hold of those magazines. Have you decided when you'll put them in the classifieds? I'm going to the contryside next week and won't have internet then. So I hope it will be later on. And would you plese post in this tread, cause I'm very bad at looking in the classifieds on a daily basis.

I'll google on Delinators to see what kind of magazine it was. I've got some old magazines of my own but they have very few pictures and are more about householdtips.

And everybody, please post pictures of your precious clothes!

M

I think this coming week, but not sure, when do you come back from the country? I need to take pics of the covers and write a brief description for each. So that may take me a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy