Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938 Shoe Catalog IN COLOR

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

This is a beauty: the Spring/Summer 1938 Florsheim men's shoe catalog, complete with price list. I've taken photos of every page. And here they are:

OviattsandFlorsheim066.jpg

OviattsandFlorsheim067.jpg

OviattsandFlorsheim079.jpg

OviattsandFlorsheim080.jpg

OviattsandFlorsheim081.jpg

OviattsandFlorsheim082.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
These pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them.

As an aside, I received Brooks Bros. latest catalogue and they had a picture of fabric mesh and leather Spectators with a caption that read, something like, "The New Wingtip." How ironic is that?

If you didn't know what year it was, you would think it came out of your photos above.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The prices for those shoes are unreal. The prices are lower than current prices for Florsheims, and the current shoes really are junk. Nothing like the shoes they made in 1938. Shoes comparable to those in the catalog would likely cost over $250.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
OviattsandFlorsheim089.jpg

These were Florsheim's most expensive pair. They were supposedly "exact copies" of bespoke English shoes, as worn by royalty. (The Duke of Windsor?) I was surprised by the black pair's low vamp and relatively few eyelets.

The price? $8.00, which is about $113.00 in today's dollars.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Talk about variations on a theme! That catalog has every possible type of wingtip and oxford imaginable ... and for every type of foot. There was no way that a Florsheim customer, if well attended, could leave the store unsatisfied.

I've worn dead stock (never used) Florsheims and other fine brand shoes from the '30s, and I can honestly say that no modern shoe comes close in comfort. Vintage Florsheims conform so perfectly to your feet, they're like a second skin. There's no room for chafing. Your foot is given total support from heel to toe (and not just around the arch). And these shoes look so much more streamlined than practically anything on the market today. Our feet are perhaps our least handsome feature, but vintage '30s, '40s and even '50s shoes make them look pretty darn swell.

geo

These were Florsheim's most expensive pair. They were supposedly "exact copies" of bespoke English shoes, as worn by royalty. (The Duke of Windsor?) I was surprised by the black pair's low vamp and relatively few eyelets.

Tricker's "Cambridge" model looks exactly like the black "Plaza" model shown in the catalogue. Trickers's "Jermyn Street Collection" are the only shoes available today with this old-fashioned last shape. Here's Tricker's "Cambridge" from Pediwear:
cambridge.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I own a pair of "the Saxon" shoes by Florsheim, and in a bizarre coincidence, I wore them this very afternoon. I bought them in practically deadstock condition and they wear like a dream. Thank you eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace