Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939-40 hairstyle? Suggestions please!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I know we have about a zillion hair threads going, but I was wondering if I could just get a quick shout from the (very well informed) peanut gallery. I need to get my hair into a reasonable facsimile of a 1939-40 ‘do. Here’s the digs:

My hair is currently cut in two layers – one is several inches below my shoulders, the second reaches my shoulders. And I have bangs that have grown out to mid-nose. It’s very thick, on the coarse/wavy side. It holds pins well, and it will usually hold a curl if it’s not too damp out. I need it to stay in place for 12 hours with minimal/no touch-ups. I have a tall, frontwardly jutting hat that I am planning to wear, so the crown of the head in the back will need to be flat. I am absolutely all thumbs with pincurls, so something that I could set with sponge rollers would be ideal.

What can I do with long hair like this? Should I schedule a chop (…but THEN what?) or work around it?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Popular hairstyles in 1939-40 were still fairly short, and often rolled and pinned in a variety of ways.

I would roll the front into double reverse rolls, and roll up the back as well, so that you don't have to worry about the curl falling out or becoming unruly. You might also consider tucking the back into a snood, another perfect accesory for the time frame you are seeking to emulate. As long as your hair is cut with long layers, it should be easy enough to style at that length. (My hair falls just below my shoulders.) However, I will note that hair is much easier to style when it has a fairly fresh cut. After a certain point, the hair becomes harder to manage and maintain in a neat 40s style.

As for curling, sponge rollers or rag curlers make fine substitutions for pin curls, and are much easier to use (and control the end result.) Just take small sections and roll the curler towards your face. If you set your hair while damp, the curl will last much longer (generally until it becomes wet again.)

I'm imagining something along the lines of Betty's hair in the photo on the right:
Grable1.jpg

A few illustrations from 1939-41:
1939_hats_hair.jpg

1941_hairstyles.jpg

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thanks, Jitterbugdoll! What's the best way to make reverse rolls and keep them nice and smooth? Should I toss some curlers in my hair before hand to give the hair more body?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome, MissQueenie :)

You should definitely set the hair beforehand, as this is what creates the right texture and volume for an authentic set. If you cold (wet) set your hair, your shouldn't need to use hot rollers on the sections you will be rolling. However, hot rollers are handy when you leave the back loose and you need to touch up any wayward curls.

Easy to follow directions for rolls can be found here: http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/rolls/rolls.html

For the back, this site shows a good trick to simplify the process:
http://www.joeri.net/retro/fashion/hairstyle1.htm

For additional tips and tricks, I would read through the previous threads--a lot of good information can be found there!

Here's one that applies:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4216

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR