Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940 Color Fedora photo!

jbrown173

New in Town
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the 30's and 40's color photographs that were recently digitized and posted online by the Library of Congress, but they're amazing. Kodak sent it's newly perfected color film to a number of prominent photographers of the day with instructions to document the U.S. as they saw it and send the results back to Kodak. I checked them out a while ago (before I became a hat freak) and I suddenly remembered the amazing image below by Jack Delano, and thought my new fedora buddies would appreciate it:

Headlines-Posted-in-Window2.jpg

The headlines are amazing:

Headlines-detail.jpg

But it's really all about the hats for us, isn't it?

Headlines-middle-detail.jpg

Headlines-right-detail.jpg

And let's not omit the ladies' hats:

Headlines-left-detail.jpg

If you've got about 7 hours you'd like to kill, you can see all the other pictures through this page:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Thanks for the Link

Thanks jbrown,

1. The exhibit @ Library of Congress has closed,
but this link really helps.

2. Nice to see those lads in that photo in full
felt regalia!

SC :cool:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow, cool!

Seeing the past in color like that is always kind of a special treat. We sometimes tend to think everything was in black and white back then. ( Seems a lot of guys preffered gray or brown, despite having color choices.)
I'm glad that more and more color photos and films are coming out of hiding. Thanks for the link. :cheers1:

Zach R.

Practically Family
I think photos like this also highlight the color combinations(of shirts, shoes, jackets, overcoats, etc) these guys wore that would never be thought of today.

I'm the kind of guy that if I see a really old newspaper that someone has used for wrapping something up in the attic, I take it out and read it. :p

So all of this is really fascinating if you ask me, and not just on a hat perspective.:cheers1:

Aerol

A-List Customer
photos

Great photos. Always good to see that the past was more colorful than we remember it.

Reminds me of English shirts. Way, way more colorful than what we have here in the U.S.

jbrown173

New in Town
That's a mighty weird coincidence! I was completely unaware that someone had posted on the same collection of photos just a few hours earlier!

Those are great pics, DR -- but I don't dare click over to the other related threads because I've got to get some work done. I could easily get lost for hours clicking on all those amazing images.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
They're great. They really give another take on the whole thing.

I think that in general, the B&W gives a more glamorous feel to the older photos. (Or is that just my imagination?)

Mr. 'H' said:
I think that in general, the B&W gives a more glamorous feel to the older photos. (Or is that just my imagination?)
It is one of the B&W qualities that in B&W still photos and in B&W movies the lighting is able to evoke a mood much easier. It is one of the reasons Film Noir is Noir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart