Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Franklin D. Roosevelt's Trademark Fedora for Sale

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heritage Auctions, Inc.

Main Page of website

Page directly linked to the hat auction Bidding Ends : Jun 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM CT

fdrx_thumb.jpg

Auction Name: 2008 JUNE Auction of The Plaud Collection of Franklin & Eleanor Roosevelt Items #6001

Description: The contents of Drs. Joseph J. and Deborah M. Plaud's American Heritage Center Museum, likely the finest, most comprehensive, interesting and historic FDR and New Deal collection in private hands. It comprises the personal and professional life and times of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, including his family, friends, acquaintances, political allies and antagonists, from youth to the president of the United States of Ameica.

Franklin Roosevelt, The President's Personal Gray Felt Fedora

Franklin Roosevelt, The President's Personal Gray Felt Fedora. With the exception of his cigarette holder and glasses there are few personal items more closely associated with Franklin D. Roosevelt than his fedora. This is an exceptional hat that belonged to FDR. Made by Dunlap Hats of New York City, the hat's leather interior sweatband is stamped "FDR" in gold lettering. It is also stamped with the hat style, "Kings Ransom", and the retailer, "Littler" of Seattle. FDR's only daughter, Anna, was married to John Boettinger, a reporter for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt often visited their daughter and son-in-law in Seattle. One of their longest trips was in the fall of 1937. Littler (1931-1996) was a Seattle department store that catered to the carriage trade.

The hat, size 7¼, is in near pristine condition. This hat, was given to the President's valet, Irineo Esperancilla, by Eleanor Roosevelt. According to Mr. Esperancilla's widow, the First Lady did not like this particular hat, so to keep FDR from wearing it, she gave it to Esperancilla in the early 1940s.

More Information:
The extended description below was supplied by the consignor. We are making it available to our web bidders who are interested in more in-depth research and broader historical perspective. Please note that presentation (i.e. framing), lot divisions, and interpretations of condition and content may occasionally differ from our descriptions. Assertions of fact and subjective observations contained in this description represent the opinion of the consignor. These remarks have not been checked for accuracy by Heritage Auctions, and we assume no responsibility for their accuracy; they are offered purely to allow the bidder insight into the way the consignor has viewed the item(s) in question. No right of return or claim of lack of authenticity or provenance based upon this extended description will be granted.

A rare, terrific, and historic personal item belonging to FDR, his personal trade-mark gray fedora hat! With the possible exception of his cigarette holder, no personal accessory could be more closely identified with this beloved man, as so many of the photographs of FDR show him wearing this style of hat. Accompanying FDR's fedora hat is an original 1940 wire photograph of the President wearing this trade-mark gray fedora hat. FDR's gray fedora was personally crafted for FDR by Dunlap of New York City, and the leather interior sweat band is stamped "FDR" and "Kings Ransom" in gold lettering. FDR's fedora hat is in gorgeous, pristine condition. This hat was given by FDR to Mr. Irineo Esperancilla, the President's valet, in the early 1940s. According to a handwritten 1984 letter from his widow, the gray fedora hat was worn on FDR's campaign trip for President. But, she writes, "The First Lady did not like this particular hat, so to keep FDR from wearing it again she gave it to my husband." Also included with FDR's gray fedora hat is a copy of a 1955 letter to Esperancilla from the President's Chief Naval Aide, written on the occasion of his retirement. The letter commends Esperancilla for outstanding service to four Presidents and notes that his "service record...does not fully give full justice for the many unwritten talents contributed" by Esperancilla in his services to Presidents Hoover, FDR, Truman, and Eisenhower. The lot also includes a photograph of Mrs. Esperancilla with the hat, as she was writing her letter of provenance. A wonderful and beautifully documented FDR artifact.

Estimate: $4,000 - $6,000.

I'm seriously considering asking my wife if I can bid on this thing.

I don't dare, or do I? Provided the provenance is reliable (no reason to doubt it, is there? I don't know squat about this stuff), well, I've seen no shortage of photos and film footage of FDR in that hat.

But I think Eleanor was right -- it never did look that good on him. But that's as much due to the way he handled (mishandled?) it than the hat itself. He wore it smooshed down on his noggin and he grabbed it like it was the beast he planned on having for his first meal in two weeks.

Mike Hammer

New in Town
It wouldn't surprise me if this item goes higher than that, even.
Hard to find anybody who doesn't know who FDR is, and as already stated, this hat was something he was often photographed in. Provenance is pretty reliable,too. FDR was an icon of his time.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Feraud said:
And non bidders with advice on how to sell it better. lol

Kabuto hits a solid double off the wall, and Feraud hits the next pitch out of the park! :eusa_clap

Anj

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Should bring a fat pile. And should be in the Smithsonian.

That's actually a great comment. It SHOULD reside in the Smithsonian, like Lincoln's Hat.

I find the price to be incredibly low for a piece of Presidential American History that's so rare. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this hat ended up in the $25-50K range.

Vintage Betty

One Too Many
Expensive Prices ¡¡¡

:eeek:Here in our México happens same, sometimes an artist decides sell clothes, shoes, the artists women sell them dresses and offer so expensive prices and in public auction, even so, bidders offer more money than sellers want, so I don´t doubt, this hat will be sold more than $ 7000.00.
FDR is known in our country like a man wearing hat.. ;););)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner