Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940 NY World's Fair uniform.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, a few years ago my good friend Kat gave me a gift; a gift of friendship and a pretty rare item I must say.

This is the finest piece of my World’s Fair collection; this coat was made and never worn or used by any employee of the fair. Has a patch over the left breast pocket that reads “Treasury” and must have been a position regarding funds raised by the fair. Since the last part of the fair wasn’t as big as the first part, this is probably why this coat wasn’t used. Must have been stored away somewhere by someone at the fair’s end. Who knows what story is attached to this rare survivor. But, whatever it is, it’s remarkable that it’s in such clean shape. There are no stains or signs of age at all. The buttons are still shiny and brilliant as if it were made yesterday and have a trylon and parisphere on them. The left shoulder patch is blue on orange says: 1940 with the trylon and perisphere.

I have this hung up in the closet with lots of moth balls around… and it hung there since I received it. Soon after I received it, I found the proper hat to be worn with the tunic. I won it for $50 or so and I put the hat in my display case with some of the other ’39-’40 World’s fair items I own.

This past Sunday, I had Ashley try it all on with her navy skirt and black service shoes. That’s how it would have been worn.

wf40.jpg

Now in it's intended setting ;)

ediesphere.jpg

This is my favorite...

ediefairm.jpg

The shadowing from the trees in my yard cast a gray/purple tone on the tunic which gives it a faded look... the true color of the tunic is tan/gray.

I will take some close up shots of the details of the tunic soon, figured I'd share the photos anyway. It's been something I've wanted to see ever since I got the hat and the tunic, I have wanted to see it worn and it fit her so well I just couldn't believe it. After 69 years since the close of the '39-'40 NY World's Fair, this coat has found a new life in a collection and finally is worn and worn well I must say.

Enjoy,

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thanks! I will have another shoot with her and the uniform next time, I saw a photo of a female guide wearing the same tunic, and she had a dark blue scarf/ascot and no white blouse collars... so, I'm going to try and take some more photos with a scarf next time and not in the shade so the tunic's color doesn't look distorted.

Stay tuned!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
There photos of the men's uniform in Trylon and Perisphere.
It's a neat book BTW.

Trylon and Perisphere: The 1939 New York World's Fair
By Barbara Cohen, Steven Heller, Seymour Chwast
Edition: illustrated
Published by Abrams, 1989
ISBN 0810924153, 9780810924154

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have seen a few of the men's uniforms on ebay come up now and again... but, they're never my size and I will only buy one if it's in my size... and my price range of course. :eusa_doh: But, who knows what I'll find next.

I'm happy to have the woman's uniform, it's beautiful and it fits my gal like a glove... so, I feel that I get plenty of enjoyment from it just to see her wear it.

My goodness, so many uniforms back then looked so wholesome and yet, alluring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner