Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's housing, where do I start

Darren van Ek

New in Town
I don't know if this is in the correct spot, but in recent months my partner has decided that modern houses aren't for her, and to be honest my heart leapt as I have always loved the older houses. Where I live there are a lot of houses from the 1940's and 50's. But my concern is with modern ways of living is an older house suitable, and can it be upgraded but still keep its 1940's 50's feel and look, I like to honor its heritage and not just have a shell that is nothing like its original spec inside.

Another reason is the size of the house plots in those days, much bigger than you can get now.

Anyone out there been through the same experience, how did you go about bringing the 1940's 50's into modern age without destroying the house ?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I would love to be able to tell you straight off what to do but we are in the process of buying a late 40's early 50's house and it's pretty much the same as it was the first day the owner moved in. I love period detail so all the Art Deco fireplaces will be kept, picture rails, Belfast sink and bannisters. When the time comes to decorate we'll go for timeless pieces that will fit in with the Art Deco furniture we already have.

Once we get the keys I hope to post photos of what it looks like in its current state and then down the line when we move in more photos to show what we've done.

Sorry I can't be of any more help right now but best of luck with your search!

Darren van Ek

New in Town
No that will be a help, to see how you progress, someone getting in from the ground up, and its probably easier restoring what is already original than trying to bring something back to that era, have seen several where i live for sale but when you go in they have been almost gutted and made completly modern, so I was rather dissapointed.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Curious as to where you're actually located. As far as lifestyle is concerned, you should start with one of the greatest blogs in the universe, www.retrorenovation.com. This lady has it all for 50's style Atomic homes.
Beyond simple home decor, you can also look into vintage appliances. LizzieMaine and ForgottenMan are both experts on that subject, as they've been using ancient TV's, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, radios, refrogerators, telephones, etc., for a long time. A lot of people think vintage fridges and stoves are better than anything made today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you're thinking about a postwar house, you need to be careful. A lot of the housing built between 1946 and the early fifties was built very fast and very cheap to cope with the housing shortage, and after sixty years such houses are likely to have a lot of structural issues. My mother's house was built in 1949 and is a classic example of this -- the roofing boards were cut-up biillboards, with the advertising posters still hanging off them, and she's had a lot of problems because of the use of such substandard materials. Likewise a lot of postwar neighborhoods were built on landfill, which has issues of its own with drainage and the like, to say nothing of what you're likely to find if you go digging in the dooryard.

A detailed building inspection is very important for such a house, roof to cellar, and if it hasn't had a lot of maintenance over the years, you'll need to be ready to spend some money before you can even think about decor issues.

And yes, vintage appliances are the way to go. Unless you like replacing your refrigerator every five years or so.

rue

Good point Lizzie. EVERYONE should get a house inspection, no matter what year the house is built. Add to that a termite inspection, even if they tell you that you don't need one.

May I ask what you would be upgrading? Are you talking about the kitchens and bathrooms or something else?

Edited:
I also wanted to add that you need to make sure you know what you are getting into as far as the condition of the house. What are you capable of? Wood working, basic handy man skills, etc. That needs to be taken into consideration, because anything you can't do yourself will have to be taken care of by hired help. Basically... know what you are getting into before you fall in love.

Last edited:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Lizze regarding 1940's built homes. If it was a custom built home, it's more than likely sturdy. If it was war-housing put up for shipyard workers and such, you're looking at a headache unless you don't mind living in squalor.

Darren van Ek

New in Town
I wouldn't really be upgrading, more so renewing, I probably worded that poorly. In other words, new wiring, to bring it up to code, fixing worn or broken items, basically giving it the once over, as we all know things get changed in an older house, so you might have various levels of wiring and old style plumbing etc
I live in a place called Mount Barker, in south Australia, and its currently having a housing boom, but I really don't fancy living in the shoe box houses, they are all the same and on very small blocks.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-mount+barker-107427156

This is the kind of thing I am looking at, you can see its still got a large amount of original features, but needs some work to get rid of the horrible upgrades, just looking for the experts opinions on what you would do to take it back ?

rue

Beautiful home!

If I were to buy that house....

I would take out the fluorescent lighting and replace it with period correct lights. The bathroom would be gutted and changed to something more fitting to the home. In the kitchen I would try to work with what was there as much as I could by painting the cabinets and adding more where needed. Painting them would also make it so the new cabinets would match the old. I would change the counter tops to wood, tile or soapstone and replace the sink.
In one of the rooms it looks like they turned a fireplace into shelves. Those would come out and it would be restored.

Just some ideas......

Does that help?

Darren van Ek

New in Town
Yeah it does, I don't think it needs dramatic work, just a mild restoration, in its present state it looks kind of tacky, but thankfully they haven't destroyed any of the original features. I didn't think much of the kitchen at all, but I can work with it, and thankfully my brother is a cabinet maker, so can help there.

There are a few others in the area, and a lot more expected to come up, in various states of repair, but I don't want to end up with something like this

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-mount+barker-107372875

rue

Yeah it does, I don't think it needs dramatic work, just a mild restoration, in its present state it looks kind of tacky, but thankfully they haven't destroyed any of the original features. I didn't think much of the kitchen at all, but I can work with it, and thankfully my brother is a cabinet maker, so can help there.

There are a few others in the area, and a lot more expected to come up, in various states of repair, but I don't want to end up with something like this

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-mount+barker-107372875

That was my fear as well when looking for another old house this time. Almost all of them in the area where we were looking have been turned into that sort of house. Once you step in you feel like you're in a new build. Luckily we found something that hasn't been touched all that much since it was built in 1929.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
As the owner of a 1950s home, I cannot say enough about the need to have a professional home inspection before you purchase. Where I live, I believe it is a requirement. Old homes are nice, but most of the time you will run across things original to the home that, while fine at the time, no longer meet current code and can sometimes even be hazardous. Cosmetics are nice, but also be aware of things like wiring and plumbing that may need updating to be safe.

Another thing to watch out for: In the 1940s and 50s, random and often bizarre DIY home improvements (especially electrical, it seems) were extremely popular thanks to magazines like Popular Mechanics and their random "weekend" projects, like how to wire a light in your garage using only old coat hangers rigged to a car battery. It sounds ridiculous and insane, but you'd be shocked at the number of old homes I've been in that have exactly those types of weird jimmy-rigged setups. Not trying to scare you, but just something to be on the lookout for, especially if you're purchasing from the original owner.

My last piece of advice is to know your role. Don't buy a fixer-upper if you aren't the DIY type or don't have money to pay someone else to do the work. I've seen it happen too many times.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is just my opinion, but, this is what I would change:

1. Replace that horrific shelving thing with a stove insert. Here they have gas inserts that don't need to be vented. The ones that need to be vented are pretty easy to put in. I'd prefer wood to gas, but I think gas is a safer bet in case the chimney is seriously damaged.

2. That kitchen needs some work. I don't know what the cabinets are made out of. If they are plywood (not fiberboard, chipboard, paperboard) try to work with them. Paint them, refinish them, add moulding. Plywood box cabinets are spendy today. If they are fiberboard, try to replace them. Here they sell ready to assemble cabinets made out of plywood through mail order (you screw them together and install) that you can actually buy much cheaper than fiberboard cabinets in the stores. The floor should also be replaced with something less modern. If the countertop is in good shape, I'd keep it. You need a fridge. ;)

3. Get rid of the potlights/ recessed lighting. Replace with period appropriate lighting- doesn't have to be old or a replica, just not as offensive. But I hate recessed lighting.

4. Realize that the old windows may need storms for energy efficiency. (I don't know if that is a concern where you are). If there are any replacement windows in the house, check the manufacturer/ quality. You'll more likely end up replacing "replacement windows." Typically original windows are higher quality than modern ones and with a storm they are as energy efficient. Check for broken windows/ glass, and see if the windows are putty- you can easily replace the glass in these.

5. How old is the roof- how many layers of roof are under it, and was it originally wood shingled? Every house eventually needs a new roof, unless it is clay tile or standing seam. I don't recommend putting on layer after layer of roof. If the original wooden shingles are on there, you'll need them removed and plywood put down and a new roof. For me, that is something I would hire.

6. I'd look to paint the bathroom and live with it, perhaps replace the lights and the fixtures. I find modern bathrooms to be less offensive than modern kitchens. (personal preference). If later you have the money, redo it. But I'd focus more priority on the kitchen and the systems in the house.

7. New paint all over.

8. New wiring brought up to code, particularly the outlets. The old wiring is probably better quality than the new stuff you can buy for the lights, however, the old wiring is not grounded. (Check to see if the old wiring has been chewed on, however. If it is knob and tube wiring, you need to replace it, period, because it is dangerous.) You probably want grounded outlets, so if you only have the money to do it step by step, start with the outlets in the rooms that not having grounding in puts you and your appliances more at risk- bathrooms, kitchens, and high use rooms. New larger breaker box, because adding outlets to code means adding breakers. Check the service to the house. We had a 100 amp service, we upgraded to 200 amp. It gives us more flexibility for only $150 more. If you can do some of the wiring yourself, you will save a heap.

9. Check to see what the plumbing is like. Galvenized will need to be replaced, copper probably not. If it is plastic, I would replace water lines with copper (personal preference). Drains may need to be replaced if they are steel- for drains I recommend plastic.

10. Personal preference- I'd check the trees to see if they are in bad shape. I don't like big trees around my house (bad personal experiences) and I'd probably have them removed first thing and replaced by smaller trees that don't get so big. Even if you don't want them removed, I'd have them checked to make sure they are healthy.

11. The one fireplace that still is intact needs to have it's flue checked before you used it, if it is indeed woodburning. It probably at least needs cleaning.

12. You'll probably need to insulate the house more.

13. The heating and cooling system may need to be replaced (just the units, not the runs/ vents). Ditto on the hot water heater. It depends on how old the system is- if it is older than 20-30 years I'd replace it. Make sure that there is not an "octopus" "heat rise" system in the cellar- they are very inefficient compared to forced air, and you could save the cost of a new furnace in a very few years.

14. The woodwork looks to be in good shape in most of the rooms. This is an excellent bonus, as woodwork is the hardest (and one of the most expensive) things to replace in a remuddled house in my opinion. It doesn't look like it is painted either. You may need to be concerned about lead if you have young children and it is painted and peeling.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
10. Personal preference- I'd check the trees to see if they are in bad shape. I don't like big trees around my house (bad personal experiences) and I'd probably have them removed first thing and replaced by smaller trees that don't get so big. Even if you don't want them removed, I'd have them checked to make sure they are healthy.

Big, mature trees are a major selling point here, including the neighborhood we're in. We have 4 large oaks (over 75 years old) and 1 magnolia. We did have to have 1 oak taken out a few years ago when it developed a split, but we just looked at it as "these things happen" type maintenance.

Big trees are great (and great for your utility bills during the hot summers!), but you must maintain them with regular trimming, which can get expensive if they've been neglected. I agree with making sure they're in good shape. Tree work can be quite costly. When we had the oak taken out of our front yard, it was over $3K.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab

Big, mature trees are a major selling point here, including the neighborhood we're in. We have 4 huge oaks (over 75 years old) and 1 magnolia. We did have to have 1 oak taken out a few years ago when it developed a split, but we just looked at it as "these things happen" type maintenance.

Big trees are great (and great for your utility bills during the hot summers!), but you must maintain them with regular trimming, which can get expensive if they've been neglected. We have ours trimmed to keep them off the roof, but otherwise they are pretty much maintenance-free, other than picking up leaves once a year.

I agree with making sure they're in good shape. Tree work can get quite costly. When we had the oak taken out of our front yard, it was well over $3K.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I understand that the EPA will start enforcing stricts compliance codes in regards to asbestos and lead paint in older homes. Just to fix some of them up will require a haz-mat team. (Sarcastic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav