Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's ponytails?

MizzAlice

New in Town
There has been superfluous discussion of 1940's hair here - victory rolls, middy cuts, rolled fringe/bangs, and so on - but I don't think I've seen the topic of ponytails broached. Were they popular in that era? Were there variations on the style? I can't seem to locate anything on the subject and perusing the forum has been almost fruitless (all of the things I've located pertain to 1950's ponies).

Thanks!

Mizz A

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Paulette Goddard wore curly pigtails with bows in the movie "Standing Room Only." I've also seen curly low ponytails with bar barrettes (not hair elastics) in old movies.

I don't have any examples of high ponytails, but they probably did wear their hair that way too. The main thing that I see is that they wore their hair curled.

December

One of the Regulars
This is the only example I can find. I don't remember where I found it but it's saved as 1947.

Although it makes sense to tie your hair back when playing tennis.

1947b.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've seen examples of low, curled ponytails, but they looka bit more like chignons than the high, swinging ponytail that we usually associate with the style. That just really wasn't popular until the 1950s.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I've noticed low ponytails in films from the '40s. IIRC, it was usually curled (often curled under, like a smooth pageboy style), and pulled back with a barette or a ribbon. Whether they used a hair elastic underneath or not, I have no idea.

As an example, in The Uninvited (1944), Gail Russell has her curled hair tied back with a ribbon (and then takes it down, so you can see how it looks both ways).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart