Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1945 British DB three piece suit (photos).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cc41burtondemob9-4799yg30k.jpg

cc41burtondemob14-4799yg32n.jpg

cc41burtondemob22-4799yg346.jpg

cc41burtondemob23-4799yg35q.jpg

cc41burtondemob24-4799yg37r.jpg

cc41burtondemob31-4799yg39c.jpg

Just very quickly 'as America awakens, Britain is going to sleep over here![huh] "

I bagged this mid 40's Double Breasted (DB) suit in navy with the two toned stripes woven through. Typical 5 button configuration of pre-1950 British suits (austere post war UK cost saving).

As Alan Eardley pointed out with regard to BK's Burton (this is a Burton too) suit of the same period, Burton was probably the finest tailors for the mass UK civilian market during the war and up into the 50's.

This suit has a classic 40's look and styling to it and quite frankly I cannot wait to see it in the flesh/fabric!!

Wide padded shoulders and tapered waist to give 'that' lovely hour glass figure look, so loved by movie stars on both sides of the pond.

Thanks for your help out there (you know who you are;) ) for the second opinions and reassurances on this little number.

Right!! I need my 'beauty sleep' more than most of you gorgeous people in here, so I bid you good-night!!

Rooster

Practically Family
Did I see that on Ebay? Sure wished it would have fit me, that's a helluva nice suit man.:eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good morning America, Good Evening Down Under...

As I wake up to my 'cup of Joe' here, I'm reading all the above wonderful remarks and 'thumbs up' on this suit.

They say, "It's not over until the fat lady sings [huh] "...well in the jacket and suit world I would quip, "It's not over until the suit is on your back and hopefully fits!!"
So that will be the next chapter (and of course, photos to follow for your reference when it comes through).

Many of you gents who have just penned a few lines here, the likes of Tim, Scott, Ray and of course Techno (who's on an absolute roulette winning roll right now with the vintage suits!), YOU BOYS put me to shame with your wonderful sense of style and dress. Believe me, you do, and that's not a bad thing!!

Boys, I see that as a 'major PLUS!' as it is a motivator!!

Because I love visually seeing you in your vintage or classically inspired gear and I often reference back to those photos (as I'm sure do others here), as inspiration for me to experiment and discover 'a style' that suits my character, personality and body type :)

So thanks 'to date' for all that help whenever you post a picture of yourselves kitted out and dressed to the nines!!:eusa_clap It's VERY, VERY useful to the rest of us and a great resource that keeps building and building.

Once again gents, thanks so much for the positive feedback. Often an individual cannot see the 'wood for the trees!![huh] ' So it's useful to have someone 'outside, looking in' to spare no quarter and give unadulterated & constructive feedback. So Cheers!!:eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
cc41burtondemob9-4799yg30k.jpg

cc41burtondemob14-4799yg32n.jpg

cc41burtondemob22-4799yg346.jpg

cc41burtondemob23-4799yg35q.jpg

cc41burtondemob24-4799yg37r.jpg

cc41burtondemob31-4799yg39c.jpg

Just very quickly 'as America awakens, Britain is going to sleep over here![huh] "

I bagged this mid 40's Double Breasted (DB) suit in navy with the two toned stripes woven through. Typical 5 button configuration of pre-1950 British suits (austere post war UK cost saving).

As Alan Eardley pointed out with regard to BK's Burton (this is a Burton too) suit of the same period, Burton was probably the finest tailors for the mass UK civilian market during the war and up into the 50's.

This suit has a classic 40's look and styling to it and quite frankly I cannot wait to see it in the flesh/fabric!!

Wide padded shoulders and tapered waist to give 'that' lovely hour glass figure look, so loved by movie stars on both sides of the pond.

Thanks for your help out there (you know who you are;) ) for the second opinions and reassurances on this little number.

Right!! I need my 'beauty sleep' more than most of you gorgeous people in here, so I bid you good-night!!

Good score there.. I had some issues with that seller but with the helpful advice from you know who (I'll never walk across Carnaby Street again:D ) it looks like you have come up trumps at last squire.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks fellas!

Smithy said:
Good grief that's a beauty Paddy :eusa_clap

Actually to be honest I'm pea-green with envy!

:eek: Awww thanks fellas :eek:

It's a looker, just hope it all fits in the right places and I can carry off 'the look!' I'll be giving it a jolly good try I can tell you!;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
(Jumps up and down clapping)

You won, you finally won, hurrah!

That's a humdinger of a suit, the girls over there are going to faint dead away when they see you coming--pictures when it arrives please!

PS What sort of shirt and tie do you plan to wear with it? Anything would be an improvement on the one the seller chose!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That tie

That suit reminds me of SO MANY 40's British films. Very nice. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what tartan that tie represents? I looked in my limited group of images and it wasn't there. Now you need a 48 Anglia to go with the suit.

Dickie

New in Town
I was watcing that suit at the end just to see how much it went for 'cos it's the best demob suit I think I've seen on ebay and to be honest should probably have gone for more! If it had been in my size (smaller on the chest, longer in the legs and arms) then I'd have had a crack at it... As it is, I'm glad you got such a fantastic suit for such a reasonable price - hope it fits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn