Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1945 Dinner Jacket

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I must disagree. Even for a 1940s piece, the 33" back length measurement is definitely long, and indicates that the jacket is a Long size.

(By comparison, a 29" back would be a Short, and a 31" back would be a Regular.)

From what point, to what point are those measurement guidelines Marc? The listing isn't really clear about from what point to, to what that 33" is. Based on the 25" sleeve length, which is generally considered within the ballpark of regular lengthes, I made the assumption that it was from the top of the collar rather than the bottom; subtracting 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" for collar would give a length in the neighborhood of 31".

Qirrel

Practically Family
Then I defer to your learn'd opinion. Most of my suits measure 32" in length, I had no idea I was on the cusp of not being a regular . . .

Keep in mind that jacket lengths varies quite a lot with fashion. Average measure tables (from books on cutting, etc.) that I have seen differ by as much as an inch in different years.
Also remember that a 30" length (from nape of neck to hem) is not the "regular" length for all sizes and heights.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Also remember that a 30" length (from nape of neck to hem) is not the "regular" length for all sizes and heights.

I'm 5' 11.5" tall, of average build. I wear a size 39R or 40R. A 31" length tends to be just right for me. Anything over 31" looks too long. 30" is okay for me if the jacket is from the late 1920s to the mid 1930s. Earlier or later than that time period, it's got to be 31" long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou