Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950 Sears Hercules Motorcycle Jacket-40/42

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Another Beauty from the Fabulous 50s!

No Hercules label, but most likely made by one of the Sears providers. Has the original through belt with 40 marked. No leather tag, but it is Steerhide. Many of the Sears through belts were made of Steerhide, many were labeled "styled and made in California. This has the classic red lining but a inner hem in leather instead of corduroy as often seen. Fine working Talon zippers all around. No other tags or labels. All pocket bags are very clean. The whole jacket is clean, looks like a couple of years old. It still needs some breaking in.

Not sure the year, if that makes a difference. Mid 50s?

The pictures/video tell the story better than me.

Price: $500 shipped in CONUS-and go from there if need be

Additional pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/insrLek6dUou9xaW8

DSC04591.JPG
DSC04592.JPG
DSC04593.JPG
DSC04595.JPG
DSC04596.JPG
DSC04599.JPG
DSC04600.JPG
DSC04602.JPG
DSC04603.JPG
DSC04616.JPG

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Wow! This jacket is nice. I got this jacket yesterday and hadn't paid much attention to it because I was sick.

Now, in the light of day and good health it is an amazing condition jacket. I turn down the video and let the jacket Spin.

KEEP IN MIND: I'm not saying this jacket fits me. I'm saying it is going to look great on the new owner.

Check out the Sears Motorcycle History in the outerwear section. The up to date history of these jackets is there. This jacket could be as late as the early 60s. The epaulets pictured above are most unique. They tell a story I don't get yet. I've looked around a bit and not seen any Sears labeled jackets sewn like an A2. Another mystery, something unique. Another piece of the puzzle. Does not look like there was ever a neck label sewn.

The History and Mystery of the Jacket are important part of the Jacket, to me.

EAC

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested, if you are willing to sell to a new member; I cannot PM you, would starting a conversation be fine?

EAC

One of the Regulars
The epaulets pictured above are most unique. They tell a story I don't get yet. I've looked around a bit and not seen any Sears labeled jackets sewn like an A2. Another mystery, something unique. Another piece of the puzzle. Does not look like there was ever a neck label sewn.

The History and Mystery of the Jacket are important part of the Jacket, to me.

Regarding this, look at this picture from a 1955 catalogue (taken from your thread on Sears Motorcycle Jacket History)

1955-small-sized-jpg.250149

It looks like the way the epaulettes are sewn on the motorcycle and civilian A2 jackets are similar; if you check the 1956 and 1957 catalogue pictures referred to youth jackets in your excellent thread, you'll see it is a recurring feature, at least on horsehide jackets (the 1957 steerhide one does not have them).

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'd be interested, if you are willing to sell to a new member; I cannot PM you, would starting a conversation be fine?

You can contact me at if you are interested. You have obviously done your research. I continue trying to determine when these jackets were made. The sewn on D pocket pocket with the through belt goes back to the early 50s.

anyway, thanks for the comments

tmitchell59@comcast.net

I don't understand how I missed this. I repeatedly even mentioned I'm looking for one, suddenly I see it here for the first time and it's sold. Oh well... Some things are not meant to be.

@EAC, please do let me know but know that I'm in Europe.

EAC

One of the Regulars
@Monitor, I am located in Europe (UE). Also, keep in mind this is 21'' long in the back. It should be fine on me, though, since I hang my pants pretty high.

@Monitor, I am located in Europe (UE). Also, keep in mind this is 21'' long in the back. It should be fine on me, though, since I hang my pants pretty high.

Sounds good! Please do keep me in mind, should the jacket not fit. This is literally the only vtg jacket I wanted to buy. I'll get it off you immediately, if for some reason you decide to move it. I do hope it'll work out for you as I technically don't need another jacket, but as I said, it's the one I've been after ever since... Forever.

I have a later, 60's version that's my favorite jacket in the tiny collection.

EAC

One of the Regulars
@Monitor, I will definetely keep you in mind in case I decide to sell it. I remember reading somewhere in the Outerwear forums of your early Oakbrook and how much you liked it. After getting my Wild One-style MC jacket I was also on the hunt for a nice D-pocket one, and these Sears with the earlier pocket designs were on top of my list especially price-wise, since they are much less expensive than Bucos or Cycle Champs. Now it's time for a good CHP, I guess, and also a Sears Vertical Zip Map Pocket. Then it will be enough, at least for MC jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ