1950's cooking magazines

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by esteban68, Aug 7, 2015.

1. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

I found these 8 American cookery magazines recently on a car boot in Spain of all places, condition is excellent and they have some quite charming illustrations and quite a few decent recipes, I thought they may be of interest to some of you;

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Very cute. They look like the kind of magazines that would be sold at a supermarket checkout. But I don't see any prices on them. Could they be an advertising giveaway? I don't see any ads either.

The illustrations look quite tasty.

esteban68 likes this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they are. Better Homes and Gardens put out a whole series of these in the early to mid fifties, which could be collected week by week into a spring binder, one of which I have around here someplace.

esteban68 likes this.
  4. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

There is no price on them, all are dated between 1954 and 1956....there are some very tasty looking recipes , quite a few suggest adding a pinch of MSG!!!

5. SPAMGHOD

SPAMGHOD New in Town

Ah yes the 1950's, back when no meal was complete without vegetables and meat in Jello!
    [​IMG]

esteban68 likes this.
  6. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

The Jello company even offered tomato flavored and celery flavored gelatine for this type of jellied salad. For some reason they never caught on. This must have been about 1971 or 72, I worked in the Jello factory and I saw them.

esteban68 likes this.