Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1960's Makeup and Hair

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
1960s Perfection: Candice Bergen!

candice_bergen.jpg
sweet puppy too :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My dad recently sent me an ebook of Mary Quant's Classic Make-up and Beauty. Mary Quant popularized the miniskirt, an iconic fashion that reached its zenith in the 1960's. She was also a talented make-up artist, creating many of the mod looks we love. Here are a few pages from the book, on Sixties Style makeup, which I thought I'd share:

SixtiesStyle1.jpg

SixtiesStyle2.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have that book! I loved the '40s page more, though. I'm afraid to do such dark eyemakeup as her sixties one.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
I have that book! I loved the '40s page more, though. I'm afraid to do such dark eyemakeup as her sixties one.

I like the smoky eye, but you're right - It's a daring look! I liked the 40's page too, though I wasn't impressed by the hair lol I'll have to bump the 40's makeup thread and post them there.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
It could look smashing, if applied correctly, and on someone who carries it well - I hope I didn't come across as raining on any '60s themed parades. It's just probably too intense for ME.

Pale lip/dark eye just takes a brave soul. Especially when you're as pale as I am, I'm afraid of looking like a goth who forgot her lipstick! lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
Pale lip/dark eye just takes a brave soul. Especially when you're as pale as I am, I'm afraid of looking like a goth who forgot her lipstick! lol

:eek:fftopic:I know what you mean! lol I'm very pale too, and I used to do the dark eye/pale lip look in high school:

SpiceGirls003editsmall.jpg

SpiceGirls001editsmall.jpg

In retrospect, a teensy bit of lip colour wouldn't have gone amiss!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
Pale lip/dark eye just takes a brave soul. Especially when you're as pale as I am

You could leave the lips pale, but add some pink rouge to your cheek bones. I've noticed B.B. (sometimes) did this. This way you still look young and alive!
81592292my5.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Antje said:
BB is always smashing

I know, I'm in love with her! :eek:fftopic: Everything suited her: long/ short/ curly/ straight/ brown/ blond hair, red lips or pale lips, glasses, the 50s or the 60s, clothes or nudity, youth or maturity, a pout or a smile... I could go on all night <3

Antje

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
I know, I'm in love with her! :eek:fftopic: Everything suited her: long/ short/ curly/ straight/ brown/ blond hair, red lips or pale lips, glasses, the 50s or the 60s, clothes or nudity, youth or maturity, a pout or a smile... I could go on all night <3

I totally agree :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
While on the subject of nude lips and dark eyes: There is a particularly bad picture of the normally lovely Gwen Stefani on IMDB wearing this look. Her lips are nude to the point of disappearing, and her eyes look like two holes burnt in a blanket. In some photos taken later that day, she has put on some cherry lipstick, which magically seems to inject life back into her face.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
.... Everything suited her: long/ short/ curly/ straight/ brown/ blond hair, red lips or pale lips, glasses, the 50s or the 60s, clothes or nudity, youth or maturity, a pout or a smile... I could go on all night <3

cherry lips, again i am in total agreement! :eusa_clap BB was the personification of early 60s chic! she was the original article.

Paler than pale lips---- heavy on the eye make up----bed hair--- VOILA!!! :D
0000260940-61106L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran