Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1970s does early 20s belt back

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
That denim jacket is atrocious.

The first one could work for 20's... but I'd narrow down the lapels a bit.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The first one could work for 20's... but I'd narrow down the lapels a bit.

the fabric is pure early 20s. but the shoulders aren't. (the back view is good for a general late 20s-30s).

i get the feeling that the 70s was the start of the post-modern era we're now in; they could sense it was time to pause and look back to the past for ideas.
time to take the 1923 Sears catalogue off the shelf. but they tried too hard to reinvent.
now, with hindsight, we have the wisdom to take what was simply great and not change it.

Metatron

One Too Many
''i get the feeling that the 70s was the start of the post-modern era we're now in; they could sense it was time to pause and look back to the past for ideas.

Interesting observation. I have long pondered about the current tendency to reference designs from other periods, and to what extent this was also done in the past. It's certainly something that happened well before the 20th century in architecture, and I'll wager it has also happened to some extent in fashion before the post-modern period.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
It's certainly something that happened well before the 20th century in architecture, and I'll wager it has also happened to some extent in fashion before the post-modern period.

yes, there's many examples of fashion giving the past a nod throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. but i don't think it was until the 90s that reproducing the look of a previous decade became an end in itself. the fact that i can buy an exact replica late 20s workshirt from a small company in Japan is nuts really (from a historical design perspective) but great for those of us who appreciate it.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I agree it was done in the modern era, too, although back then they tended to do it right, so no one noticed, and it was done only sparingly in menswear.

That 70s jacket is a perfect example of doing it not quite right. It's a pretty good pseudo-copy, tough, save the shoulders like HBK pointed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui