Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1998 Franciscan Oakville Estates Cabernet

Highlander

A-List Customer
Last night I was a little bored and wanted a glass of red wine (I haven't drank much in the last 10 years because of my rosacia), so I went down to the wine cellar and pulled this bottle of 1998 Franciscan Oakville Estates Cabernet... I wasn't sure what to expect. So I opened it, the cork was good, and the wine garnet red and a wonderful bouquet. The wine was exceptional.. I vacuum sealed it and am enjoying another glass tonight...
Franciscan-vi.jpg
so I pulled another bottle, a 1992 Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve Cab, I don't expect it to have aged as well, but tomorrow I'll know... :)
wines-vi.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Very nice!
I'd like to start collecting wines, but I'd have to get several bottles at a time, since I drink one each week.
Gotta stay ahead of myself. :D
I like Malbec but lately (past 8mos) I've been on a Syrah kick.

dnjan

One Too Many
I'd like to start collecting wines, but I'd have to get several bottles at a time, since I drink one each week.
I like to buy one bottle of something that sounds interesting, etc., and have a glass on three or so consecutive days. If it tastes better the second day, and at least as good the third day, I head back to the store and get at least half a case (depending on the current state of my checking account).
Keep that practice up for a number of years (along with the willpower to leave the bottles untouched for at least a few years), and the result is a nice collection to savour as the mood strikes.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Oooo, good idea.
I'm trying an Italian one now that's okay, but honestly my favorite "Bellaruche" from M. Chapoutier had several bottles with crumbling corks. I tried another store here and they didn't carry it. I've got a few online stores bookmarked, so I might check there.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I like to buy one bottle of something that sounds interesting, etc., and have a glass on three or so consecutive days. If it tastes better the second day, and at least as good the third day, I head back to the store and get at least half a case .
Do you do that to test the wine or your palate?

dnjan

One Too Many
To test the wine.
To me, if the wine tastes better the second (and third) day, it will probably age well - at least in terms of my patience and budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran