Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

19th C weapon found in whale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

One of the Regulars
60Years2Late said:
I find it appauling that I'm limited in what I can do, just because some endangered species is lurking out there. And in my eyes, the pyramids of Giza are a little different than the whales. I can't eat the pyramids of Giza.

EDIT: Oh, and that "Tree Hugging Hippy" Teddy Roosevelt was also an avid big game hunter, something that the real tree-hugging-hippies would pitch a fit over.

I tried to send you this as a PM, but I think you are too new on the lounge to receive them.

That said, I wasn't trying to flame. My point is not that you should be limited because some endangered species is lurking out there. My point is that you should not be limited because things disappear forever due to carelessness.

That was why I invoked Teddy Roosevelt. He was a big game hunter and he understood that things had to be conserved.

Incidentally, on further research, I don't think he passed a law, but he did set aside the national parks which made the survival of the buffalo possible.

Rooster

Practically Family
Back to the original topic.lol
As soon as it isn't economically viable to hunt whales comercially the practice will stop. I'm surprised it goes on any more at all with all the synthetic oils we have today. Other than oil, what other uses can a whale actually have in today's world?
I believe only Japan still maintains a whaling fleet...and maybe Russia?
If the Native tribes want to take whales in the old traditional ways it's fine by me, more power to them. It would be quite a rush to aproach one of those beasties in a small boat and chuck a harpoon into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart