Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2015 Stetson Excellent Quality GREEN THIN RIBBON (Preview & Review)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, Terry, I was under the impression that the hat is $305, if that helps even a little.

I'm also an XLO (Extra Long Oval) and find that good felts will conform to every nook and cranny with head time. Not the case with straws.

You deserve one, sir!

Thanks buddy. I've been wanting a Strat for quite a while now but they're always out of reach for me, (although I do have a pretty nice late '40s Stetson Imperial in a suede finish I might consider trading off for one). I think that $305 is a special price offered by Delmonico if you purchase a Stetson before January 18, if I'm understanding correctly, (see page 7 of this thread). Otherwise, I believe the quoted regular price is $350, unless I missed something...

jedwbpm:

We will be selling the hat in the $350.00 range maybe a little higher or lower.

Nice looking hat, but definitely out of my price range.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Thanks buddy. I've been wanting a Strat for quite a while now but they're always out of reach for me, (although I do have a pretty nice late '40s Stetson Imperial in a suede finish I might consider trading off for one). I think that $305 is a special price offered by Delmonico if you purchase a Stetson before January 18, if I'm understanding correctly, (see page 7 of this thread). Otherwise, I believe the quoted regular price is $350, unless I missed something...

jedwbpm:

The $305.00 price will be our everyday price.

Jeff

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My reasoning is that: if these are at the quality of 40's and 50's Stetsons, of which I have one or two, I'm going to like that more than a standard Winchester dress weight. YMMV. Plus, I don't mind supporting this venture back into quality open crown hats.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
My reasoning is that: if these are at the quality of 40's and 50's Stetsons, of which I have one or two, I'm going to like that more than a standard Winchester dress weight. YMMV. Plus, I don't mind supporting this venture back into quality open crown hats.

I often find that I agree with you, sir, and this is no exception. I'd really like to handle one of these in person before I commit, but I don't think I'll get the chance.

A

g.durand

One Too Many
Aaron---Delmonico has a return policy for items returned in the condition in which they were shipped. Exclusions include hats that have been altered for the customer. I recently returned a hat to them for an exchange. I would consider it worth the cost of shipping just to see one of these hats in person. And if you like it, you get to keep it!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Aaron---Delmonico has a return policy for items returned in the condition in which they were shipped. Exclusions include hats that have been altered for the customer. I recently returned a hat to them for an exchange. I would consider it worth the cost of shipping just to see one of these hats in person. And if you like it, you get to keep it!

I can't decide if I love you or hate you right now. ;) No, very good to know!

mingoslim

Practically Family

jedwbpm:

The $305.00 price will be our everyday price.

Jeff

Is this at http://www.delmonicohatter.com/ ?
I could nto find the hat on the website, and I am really interested . . .

Slim

g.durand

One Too Many
Slim--The hats haven't been released yet from the gist of things posted earlier so they are not yet on Delmonico's website. This was posted by Jedwbpm several pages back in the thread:

Well fellow Loungers. Stetson will be at a trade show in New York this month and Mr. DelMonico is attending and placing an order while at the show. So if you place your order with us before 5:00 PM on Saturday the 18th of January we will guarantee you an Excellent Quality Open Crown Stetson hat in your choice of Black, Caribou, Cordova (brown) or Sage sizes from 6 ⅞ to 7 7/8 . The cost is $305.00. As a special offer to all our Fedora Lounge friends we will put your initials in gold leaf on the sweatband at no extra cost. However once personalized we can not take back the hat. We will be ordering more for stock but act now to hold you hat. Delivery to us should be around six to eight weeks from the time we order at the show on the 19th of January.

Jeff

And later:

Sure you can reach me at the store 1-866-470-4287 or 1-203-787-4086 or email me at jeff@delmonicohatter.com
Jeff

stratcat

One of the Regulars
It all sounds like great news. A high quality, mainstream produced, felt hat, I hope it sells well.
I'd prefer a wide ribbon hat myself, but I know the thin ribbon is very popular.

I doubt there'll be anyone stocking them here in the UK so it may be another import for me, making it quite pricey. I'll have to asses my finances later in the year :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It all sounds like great news. A high quality, mainstream produced, felt hat, I hope it sells well.
I'd prefer a wide ribbon hat myself, but I know the thin ribbon is very popular.

I doubt there'll be anyone stocking them here in the UK so it may be another import for me, making it quite pricey. I'll have to asses my finances later in the year :)

I think the best thing you'll find with thin ribbons are their versatality. Thin ribbons can be worn well with both casual and dressier attire. The same can be said for mid-ribbons too. I think you'd be quite pleased with one. If the new Stetson is out of your price range right now, maybe you can opt for a cheaper one, like Akubra's Campdraft. If you find that you like the thin ribbon, then maybe, later on, you can take the plunge and save for the new Excellent Quality Stetson.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I think the best thing you'll find with thin ribbons are their versatality. Thin ribbons can be worn well with both casual and dressier attire. The same can be said for mid-ribbons too. I think you'd be quite pleased with one. If the new Stetson is out of your price range right now, maybe you can opt for a cheaper one, like Akubra's Campdraft. If you find that you like the thin ribbon, then maybe, later on, you can take the plunge and save for the new Excellent Quality Stetson.

Absolutely agree 100%. Funnily enough, quite by accident I have recently acquired a Campdraft and while I do like it, at the moment I prefer the wider ribbons. I wore my CD on Friday with a jacket and a tie and it was great.
The OR style has a little bit of a western vibe going for it, absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's just that, that look doesn't resonate with me on this side of the pond perhaps as much as it does over there.

I can see a bit of saving going on though:D

facade

A-List Customer
The review leads me to believe that they have used a composite sweat band. Anyone able to confirm or set me straight?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The review leads me to believe that they have used a composite sweat band. Anyone able to confirm or set me straight?

Well this is what Josh said in his review about the sweatband.

"The sweatband is a beautifully soft and amazingly comfortable leather. Within 15 minutes on my head, the sweatband conformed to my head and for the rest of the day had no idea I was even wearing a hat. It appears to be a soft roan leather sweatband with a acrylic clear coat in order to protect against oils and salts from your skin"

He didn't mention it being a composite. Unless one thinks that the acrylic coating makes it one.

fedoralover

Last edited:

mingoslim

Practically Family
Slim--The hats haven't been released yet from the gist of things posted earlier so they are not yet on Delmonico's website. This was posted by Jedwbpm several pages back in the thread:

And later:

Thanks for the heads up . . .
I will be calling in a preorder today.
Mark

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Just an update on the felt doing an amazing job weathering another harsh Chicago snow storm. I have been putting this hat through the paces and I wore it during a snow storm the other day. I wore it while walking downtown during the snow storm (walking to the train and bus) and while shoveling the sidewalk and steps by my house. It was covered with snow and water....most of the snow and water didn't even make the felt "wet," it simply sat on the surface and a quick brush with my hand or a hard breath was able to wick away most of the water. There was NO distortion in the felt or the brim shape. There was NO color bleeding and there was NO color spotting either. This felt is really some great stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points