Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 - the year of suede?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So far this year, I've been seeing a lot of suede offerings from various clothing makers. Not necessarily the ones we talk about here, but these seem to be getting a lot of inspiration from vintage style in any case.

Lucky Brand has been advertising this suede shirt jacket at me for weeks even though it was already completely out of stock, but at its clearance price of $99 it was sure a steal for anyone who managed to get one in their size. They also have a decent-looking suede trucker jacket based on the Type III pattern still in stock.

Banana Republic also with a shirt jacket and a trucker jacket in suede.

SchottNYC also has quite a few suede jackets this year.

Iron & Resin just announced a bunch of suede jackets and shirt-jackets.

Eat Dust and Lewis Leathers have a suede trucker collab.

Taylor Stitch also have a couple of suede jackets, which are frankly rather "meh" looking.

I haven't looked at everyone else, but if this is any indication it's just scratching the surface. Either there's suede every year and I just never noticed it (maybe the internet marketing droids have targeted me for advertising this year? ... I'd been looking at having a rough-out, shearling-lined Type III custom made, but never did pull the trigger on it...) or else maybe the decision makers in the fashion industry all decided to do something suede this year.

Is anyone else feeling a suede/roughout vibe this year?

Damon141

Practically Family
This looks to be a really nice Himel Kensington with a suede body and leather sleeves

Of course men can wear it too but I especially like it on women with the combination of leather and suede together, ironically I showed this picture to my wife last night trying to convince her that it would look great on her which would inevitably make my purchases much easier.

Attachments

• 85BE43C6-AD96-491C-A280-28FE1C4CF56A.jpeg
    85BE43C6-AD96-491C-A280-28FE1C4CF56A.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 186

I had a short phase where I wanted a pair of suede boots and that's about it.

I'm just not a fan. Could tolerate suede pants for a while. But you're not off; It's recently been picking up in popularity, with leather falling out of favor but we're talking general fashion here, like what you'll see in a shopping mall and that's always five years late.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This looks to be a really nice Himel Kensington with a suede body and leather sleeves

Of course men can wear it too but I especially like it on women with the combination of leather and suede together, ironically I showed this picture to my wife last night trying to convince her that it would look great on her which would inevitably make my purchases much easier.

Show her Lewis Leathers :D

1651304576501.png

more pics here https://www.lewisleathers.com/blog/ladies-lewis-leathers/

@Guppy I don't own a suede item yet, but have been eyeing german deer suede for some time. Here asome pics from german company called Meindl that @Robbie79 posted a while back. Sure got me interested

1651306705869.png

1651306715287.png

1651306723483.png

Edward

Bartender
I like the look of suede in the abstract. The goat suede jacket Aero brought out a few years ago is a stunner. My problem is the fear that I'd ruin it in no-time; one of the great joys of a leather jacket for me is that at least most of the time the shell is going to be wipe-clean. For select occasions, maybe...

This is it - the Aero Majestic. I gather the goat suede is plenty tough; my main fear would be staining it.

1651310122276.png

I do have a pair of suede brogues, though they tend to get only very limited wear as I tend only to put them on on bright, dry days - and in warmer months I prefer a two-tone co-respondent.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
So far this year, I've been seeing a lot of suede offerings from various clothing makers. Not necessarily the ones we talk about here, but these seem to be getting a lot of inspiration from vintage style in any case.

Lucky Brand has been advertising this suede shirt jacket at me for weeks even though it was already completely out of stock, but at its clearance price of $99 it was sure a steal for anyone who managed to get one in their size. They also have a decent-looking suede trucker jacket based on the Type III pattern still in stock.

Taylor Stitch also have a couple of suede jackets, which are frankly rather "meh" looking.

I haven't looked at everyone else, but if this is any indication it's just scratching the surface. Either there's suede every year and I just never noticed it (maybe the internet marketing droids have targeted me for advertising this year? ... I'd been looking at having a rough-out, shearling-lined Type III custom made, but never did pull the trigger on it...) or else maybe the decision makers in the fashion industry all decided to do something suede this year.

I like the simplicity of Aero’s Majestic. They sent me a sample of the leather and as discussed in another thread it is really more like a rough out than a split hide.

I like the simplicity of Aero’s goat suede Majestic, in what is more like a rough out than a split hide.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3832
AFBBD8D3-3266-4CCD-AA22-04ADA73DD67D.jpeg

F78F411E-3D89-457E-9740-E65D7E227504.jpeg

dannyk

One Too Many
I own one of the Iron and Resin Goat Suedes -The Highwayman; and the detailing is nice, color is beautiful but it’s paper thin. When it says a lightweight jacket it means lightweight. I got it on sale and took a chance on it never having owned a piece of theirs but in retrospect would have went with one of their Buffalo suedes to see if that is more substantial. Because hey it says lightweight and not everything needs to be heavy but this legit feels so delicate. I also owned a 5 Star suede trucker but sent it back because it was much to large. Then I had my wedding and now my medical issues; but once I have some pocket change I will 100% order it again in a smaller size. It was tough as hell and substantial and for 130 dollars could not go wrong.

In general not a huge fan of suede but I want one nice suede trucker that will last me years and be my one suede trucker so hopefully the 5 Star in the correct size will be just that. Again for 130 dollars it’s a great jacket.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like suede and even better, rough out, both shoes and jackets. Shoes I still have, a jacket for a long time no more.
But I'm toying with the idea of having 5* make me one from the cow leather, but just with the rough side outside.
E7441FD5-DB3C-4DC5-A8E3-9539A0293E61.jpeg
55EC71AB-2D00-4469-80ED-5386F22C9AD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 251987F2-1C65-4B68-A3D0-4014D6C08BCB.jpeg
    251987F2-1C65-4B68-A3D0-4014D6C08BCB.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 170

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I have this Aero custom cross zip made up (based on the Ridley /J106 pattern) using the same goat suede they use on the Majestic - its a beautiful hide - drapes really well and lovely hand - I had the mouton collar added to avoid the griminess that can accrue on high wear areas - I like the suede and mouton combo and a nice change from the smooth leathers that make up most of my collection. Great in warm/dry weather!

Attachments

• 44C302EA-BC6B-4D69-AC1C-C8A79821F3F8.jpeg
    44C302EA-BC6B-4D69-AC1C-C8A79821F3F8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • 4DC2C919-B6AA-426F-9E67-2F4702852A16.jpeg
    4DC2C919-B6AA-426F-9E67-2F4702852A16.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
  • 2EC87F01-EB7C-4136-ADAA-CE66CB4B3079.jpeg
    2EC87F01-EB7C-4136-ADAA-CE66CB4B3079.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127

Edward

Bartender
I have this Aero custom cross zip made up (based on the Ridley /J106 pattern) using the same goat suede they use on the Majestic - its a beautiful hide - drapes really well and lovely hand - I had the mouton collar added to avoid the griminess that can accrue on high wear areas - I like the suede and mouton combo and a nice change from the smooth leathers that make up most of my collection. Great in warm/dry weather!

Different collar is a good idea. I believe avoiding grubbiness is why the Majestic has a smooth leather collar top. How do you find the suede round other areas that can attract grim, like the cuffs?

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I have a couple suede jackets that I don’t really wear. With leather, I feel like it wears in. Maybe I just need to adjust my expectations, but I’m worried suede will get stained and look bad. I think rough out cow seems to wear better than goat suede, but I do like how soft and light it is.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
I like the look of suede in the abstract. The goat suede jacket Aero brought out a few years ago is a stunner. My problem is the fear that I'd ruin it in no-time; one of the great joys of a leather jacket for me is that at least most of the time the shell is going to be wipe-clean. For select occasions, maybe...

This is it - the Aero Majestic. I gather the goat suede is plenty tough; my main fear would be staining it.

View attachment 422148

I do have a pair of suede brogues, though they tend to get only very limited wear as I tend only to put them on on bright, dry days - and in warmer months I prefer a two-tone co-respondent.
I love suede also, I’ve got a sample of the same aero suede and it’s lovely and fine.
I have a couple of pairs of Trickers shoes made with kudu suede, probably my favourite shoes. I wear them a lot, not too worried about marks as they can be brushed out.

Attachments

• 0CFD0857-E5AD-4D29-818C-5C982296BF11.jpeg
    0CFD0857-E5AD-4D29-818C-5C982296BF11.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 108

Manolito

Familiar Face
I really like suede jackets, i've got a few of them from Schott USA, Aero Leather (the college 50s jacket), Levi's... I like that they less "harsch" than the classic leather one, i like the drapé, the way they catch the light. But as said by other members, i don't wear them as much as i would like to avoid the rainy days. My favourite one is a dark blue Levi's Made and Crafted trucker jacket, made in Intaly, unlined, beautiful, perfect... It does not look "vintagy".

I am very tempted by the Schott Duke, as weel as by a Aero College in the rust suede of the majestic...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I haven't think of suede jacket, but I'm happy with brushed cotton jacket I have, it is close enough to suede without being a suede... is it called moleskin?

I think I'm afraid of oil residue, bird dropping, tree/ fruit sap stain, chewing gum, those thing, maybe it rarely happen, but I have a baby niece, and she is start walking and will grab on anything :D

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I haven't think of suede jacket, but I'm happy with brushed cotton jacket I have, it is close enough to suede without being a suede... is it called moleskin?

I think I'm afraid of oil residue, bird dropping, tree/ fruit sap stain, chewing gum, those thing, maybe it rarely happen, but I have a baby niece, and she is start walking and will grab on anything :D

Moleskin is a nice option. I think of it as a sort of utilitarian cousin to velvet. In Britain and Ireland it was traditionally used in trousers, much like corduroy, as durable workwear for the working classes. Moleskin trousers also came to be seen as appropriate countrywear trousers for the upper classes. As with corduroy, the country set tended to wear them in brighter / lighter colours than the darker hues sported by the working classes in the cities. Lighter shades and brighter colours tended historically to be the preserve of those who didn't need to wear them doing dirty jobs, and could afford to have a few clean pairs sitting spare at any stage.

One big bonus of moleskin nowadays is that it can be machine washable!

GHT

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 422148

chamois goat.jpg
The chamois is a species of goat-antelope (a caprine) native to the mountains of Europe. It's hide produces a soft flexible leather suede called, chamois. The Brits pronounce chamois as shammy.
chamois shirt.jpg
In the early 1970's, am I old, or what? In the early 1970's, chamois shirts were the must have fashion item, they cost a king's ransom and so many were ruined when they got wet, either by rain, or more likely, trying to remove a stain with a damp sponge.
My wife made me two chamois leather shirts, how I loved them, where are they now? probably got too grubby to wear and were turned into the ideal car cleaning cloths.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 422337
The chamois is a species of goat-antelope (a caprine) native to the mountains of Europe. It's hide produces a soft flexible leather suede called, chamois. The Brits pronounce chamois as shammy.
View attachment 422338
In the early 1970's, am I old, or what? In the early 1970's, chamois shirts were the must have fashion item, they cost a king's ransom and so many were ruined when they got wet, either by rain, or more likely, trying to remove a stain with a damp sponge.
My wife made me two chamois leather shirts, how I loved them, where are they now? probably got too grubby to wear and were turned into the ideal car cleaning cloths.

Never owned a shirt made from it, but grew up polishing pre-war Austins with a chamois cloth!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Moleskin is a nice option. I think of it as a sort of utilitarian cousin to velvet. In Britain and Ireland it was traditionally used in trousers, much like corduroy, as durable workwear for the working classes. Moleskin trousers also came to be seen as appropriate countrywear trousers for the upper classes. As with corduroy, the country set tended to wear them in brighter / lighter colours than the darker hues sported by the working classes in the cities. Lighter shades and brighter colours tended historically to be the preserve of those who didn't need to wear them doing dirty jobs, and could afford to have a few clean pairs sitting spare at any stage.

One big bonus of moleskin nowadays is that it can be machine washable!
Moleskin is cool. I recently got 15-oz moleskin pants in camel color (I must be upper crust, lol). These things are like leather! Super-dense weave. There should be more heavyweight moleskin jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot