Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 - the year of suede?

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
I started to only buy suede / roughout(and shell) shoes/boots. Most of grain side (kudu, deer, cow, horse etc) have terrible grain breaks, no matter how good the clicking is.

The waxy commander suede from CFS should be made into jackets, weather proof, made for PNW weather.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I started asking for rough out welt pockets instead of grain side welt pockets. Does it count? Also thinking of asking for rough out inside band strips in the upcoming builds.

Suede no because I've had tears before and was not happy about it. But rough outs seems much sturdier. Any grimes just brushes off.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have liked the look of the Aero Levi's repro Rockafella jacket in suede for quite a while. I think I might get myself one after my move:

38655b5f1dbc93fd_darkrustrockafella-500.jpg

89455b5f1f8115f0_darkrustrockafellaback-500.jpg

It is a beautiful design in all configurations, but the suede elevates it.

Leigh H

Practically Family
IMG_8914_1080x.jpg

Y_2Leather-SteerSuede3rdTypeJacket_TB-139_-Flat-01_2000x.jpg

shangri-la-heritage-terracotta-terra-di-siena-calfskin-suede-jacket-still-life-front.jpg

marker2037

Practically Family
I own probably at least a dozen shoes/boots in suede and love them for how many variants you can get, but not a single jacket yet. I would definitely get a western shirt in suede or a trucker jacket. IMO, they both are perfect in suede.

A roughout jerky horsehide Lee 101J would be badass. The inside of mine is incredible.

Edward

Bartender
I have liked the look of the Aero Levi's repro Rockafella jacket in suede for quite a while. I think I might get myself one after my move:

The Rcokefella is in the running to be my next jacket - though I intend to order mine in black goatskin. Looks very good in this suede, though. Nice design we don't see enough of in the wild.

I own probably at least a dozen shoes/boots in suede and love them for how many variants you can get, but not a single jacket yet. I would definitely get a western shirt in suede or a trucker jacket. IMO, they both are perfect in suede.

A roughout jerky horsehide Lee 101J would be badass. The inside of mine is incredible.

I have a kind of hankering after an unlined leather in a very utilitarian style, like the Schott x Restoration Hardware cafe racer of a decade or so ago. A roughtout version of that might be interesting,; the smooth side being on the inside would certainly help with slipping it on and off.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer

I have been tempted by this but I came to the conclusion that the pattern won't work for me as it is wide (and padded) in the shoulders but narrow in the P2P so even with a custom number it seems a bridge to far for me - might be worth checking as it seems quite a different pattern from the other Aero numbers - for a stock 36” the chest seems like the v slim Boardracer (19” as I recall) but the shoulders are a good 2” broader…..(18.5”?). Should have plenty of give though since it is goat suede, but those shoulders with pads in feels a bit too 80s powersuit to me! It is a really cool jacket and I have come close to giving it a crack as a custom order a couple of times, but its too far outside my usual pattern envelope I fear…..I would advise checking carefully on the dimensions with this one more than any other Aero model.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of suede in the abstract. The goat suede jacket Aero brought out a few years ago is a stunner. My problem is the fear that I'd ruin it in no-time; one of the great joys of a leather jacket for me is that at least most of the time the shell is going to be wipe-clean. For select occasions, maybe...

This is it - the Aero Majestic. I gather the goat suede is plenty tough; my main fear would be staining it.

I do have a pair of suede brogues, though they tend to get only very limited wear as I tend only to put them on on bright, dry days - and in warmer months I prefer a two-tone co-respondent.
I have coveted a suede jacket for years. Keep looking at Aero's, but I've got the same worries about staining and marks - it's like Seinfeld when Jerry spends the episode trying to avoid getting his one wet, only to get it soaked at the end and ruined. I guess Scotch Guarding it would be one option, though I'm not sure if that's 100 per cent effective. That the cuffs and collars are leather will certainly make life easier, but I'm always reminded that I got into the jacket game after buying a Hugo Boss jacket that somehow managed to get a red felt-tip pen mark on the underside of the left arm, which was put there by a sales assistant!

dannyk

One Too Many
Talking to Greg Field I think it was mentioned somewhere else he’s going to be doing a deerskin option. These are the two hides he’s starting with and he said he will do rough-out versions. So not really suede but it will get ya the same look. I didn’t ask weight or tannery yet though. But I told him a trucker in that light color rough side out deer would be beautiful. He agreed and said he’s adding a new brown shinki as well but he’s most excited for someone to try a rough out deer.

Attachments

• 3399AD08-6381-41E0-996D-61D0FC97763D.jpeg
    3399AD08-6381-41E0-996D-61D0FC97763D.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 397DEFE8-FE43-41F1-859F-F6CBBF1962CD.jpeg
    397DEFE8-FE43-41F1-859F-F6CBBF1962CD.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 73

NZJono

One of the Regulars
The Rcokefella is in the running to be my next jacket - though I intend to order mine in black goatskin. Looks very good in this suede, though. Nice design we don't see enough of in the wild.

I have a kind of hankering after an unlined leather in a very utilitarian style, like the Schott x Restoration Hardware cafe racer of a decade or so ago. A roughtout version of that might be interesting,; the smooth side being on the inside would certainly help with slipping it on and off.
yeah the Rockafella is gorgeous. I love the slim cut but I'm sadly not cool enough to pull it off as an everyday jacket. There was a black goatskin one on the Aero sale page last year, it looked great also.

Edward

Bartender
I have coveted a suede jacket for years. Keep looking at Aero's, but I've got the same worries about staining and marks - it's like Seinfeld when Jerry spends the episode trying to avoid getting his one wet, only to get it soaked at the end and ruined. I guess Scotch Guarding it would be one option, though I'm not sure if that's 100 per cent effective. That the cuffs and collars are leather will certainly make life easier, but I'm always reminded that I got into the jacket game after buying a Hugo Boss jacket that somehow managed to get a red felt-tip pen mark on the underside of the left arm, which was put there by a sales assistant!

Stain repellent suede has to be one of the holy grails of the clothing industry - that and a genetically engineered sheep that produced moth-proof wool....

Seinfeld is exactly where my head goes with the suede too.... I guess that show traumatised a generation of would-be suede-wearers!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stain repellent suede has to be one of the holy grails of the clothing industry

Tricker’s Repello suede does the job. Perhaps they should supply a batch to a UK based jacket maker as a collaboration of storied British marques.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21