Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21" long hair straight hair how do i get it to look 1940's 50's.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I love the fringe on you but think you should do it all with the curling iron instead of straightening the top, so the feathery ends are all tucked under! Just my opinion though - I think that's what Bernie's looks like she does.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
EM,

You have the prettiest skin. Your make-up is perfect. Not too much, not too little. And I love your hair. I wish I could do black hair. Being a green eyed blonde, it would be a horror if I went that dark. You raven haired beauties have my vote. Blonde, at times is very over rated.lol

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Oh dear

I have had a hair crisis! I have decided to get it cut tomorrow as the back is driving me mad. It was layered from before I decided to 'go retro' as hubby calls it. The layers stick out badly and there is a large gap between the main layers and the longest part of the back. I think I will have a chin length bob tomorrow to get most of the back the same length and grow it all down together - any thoughts ladies?:(

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You look lovely, Eleanor!

I suggest keeping the layers, as most styles from the 1930s-50s are based on layered cuts. The layers tend to be longer though, and not as choppy as in some modern cuts. A blunt cut bob can look cute on its own, of course, and would certainly be easy to style. :)

Have you tried Hot Sticks? I find they work great on coarse or hard to curl hair textures, and I have used them with great success on ladies who insisted their hair didn't hold a curl at all. The secret is their small size and high heat; combined with a firm hold hair spray, they can really make the difference in achieving vintage styles (aside from cold sets, which are longer lasting in general.)

G

GoldLeaf

I second keeping the layers. I am growing out an inch long pixie cut and have kept layers every step of the way. Usually I get it so I can bob it chin length, but my hairdresser convinced me this is better.

I am lucky, my gal is young, but grew up with her mom who was a hair dresser, and worked in her shop for a while. Shelly knows vintage style :D This way she shapes it up every visit without loosing length. I have a slightly different style every time, but it keeps me from getting bored :)

The problem with bobbing it is that you won't be able to do a 40's style as quickly. Your current length is perfect, its about like mine. If you have your layers cleaned and evened, I think you will find it much easier to manage.

Layers allow you to get curl without being weighted down.

I am doing the comb trick that other ladies have talked about (thanks gals!) with a curled under fringe, and I get comments often that it looks vintage. It gives me something quick and easy to do that is vintage-y while it grows out. After the combs are in, you can take a curling iron to the rest of your hair for a quick curl, and you are good to go! My avatar was my first attempt, it is much refined now :)

So many of us aspire to the Hollywood image (not so different from today!) but you have to remember they had hairstylists! The common lady wasn't nearly as glamerous. They used modified techniques like the comb trick. Pictures of my grandmother in the 40's show her continuing the more 30's style of a sleek top and the puffs of curly hair at her ears. It was what she knew how to do and was easy for her.

I looked up pictures of some of the famous actresses (what was the website, moviemaidens.com?) and checked out their hair. Layers were almost necessary for alot of the looks. It also gave me ideas for some looks that I could manage. I also bought the Everyday Fashions from the Sears Catalog that shows alot of things I can approximate.

I found a link here at one point to a rockabilly page that had a diagram for hair cuts, and it was the standard 40's cut with layers. I might look it up for you later :)

Anywho, just my 2 cents :)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
To be honest EM, I think you can wear almost any style of cut. But, the ladies here know what they are doing when it comes to hair and styling. I would listen very closely to them.

G

GoldLeaf

Bah, I don't know what I am doing, but I fake it well :)

Of course, get any hairstyle that would make you comfortable. If you think a bob would be easier for you, by all means, go for it! You would look cute, too!

Of course, this is just my opinion. I am glad I kept my layers this time. I didn't get length only to take it off again, so I feel like I have made more progress.

Of course, by now we have strayed off the original topic lol Ah, what it's like to live in my mind lol

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
confused!

I admit I haven't been curling the back of my hair for a couple of reasons;

1) It's easier just to run straighteners through the back as it is a pain to curl. I have a lot of 'heavy' but fine hair and it doesn't hold curl very well.
2) I have tried large barrel curling tongs and rollers with poor effect.
2) Hubby isn't impressed when I have tried to do it curly. I have upset him enough at the moment with the glasses and the spending! I know it shouldn't matter but unfortunately I haven't got past the need for his approval yet after 8 years and the age of 34!
3) Some rockabilly girls I have seen in pictures have straight hair at the back and I thought it would be easier!
4) My hair does tend to stick out sideways at the moment and I really just wanted to grow it all one length but now I don't know because sometimes I would like a change and I do get bored easily! :eek:

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
I Got it sorted!

Well ladies- I went for the easy option as I have a pig of a time with layers and curls - I got a bob! I decided it will be easier to grow down again without layers and i will keep it straight at the back and curled under. Thanks for your advice, though, it helped me make up my mind although I dithered for ages! The front also looks good behind my ears.

This is how I looked last night to go out for our anniversary :)
PICTfront.jpg

PICTback.jpg

What do you think?

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
im pretty much going with the same look.

Harsh bangs and all one length.And my hair is tight ringlets,curly hair.So its blow dry straight and flatiron,and then my hair does its magic and curls under.

And for kicks,because I cant live with all one color its face framing blonde,with the rest red.When I updo my sides with a flower you see blonde,and yet the bangs are intertwined with blonde and deep red.

I love it.

So it might not be authentic but neither are my tattoos!lol

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
You look amazing...............

EM,

You look so cute. I think the cut suites your face nicely. I love the shine of your hair. What products do you use?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
]
4109415579728o67ff79jo6.jpg

I know I am going a bit :eek:fftopic: here, but I couldn't resist sharing a memory...

My dear aunt passed away a few months ago at 85. She always took pride in her long red hair (colored the same shade as she aged, as when it was naturally red when she was younger). She always set it (this is how I learned to pin curl my own hair, from about age 10!) and it looked fantastic.

She wore the same style since she was in her 20s, up until her death. This photo of Jane Russell reminds me so much of her look!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Cheers!

Thanks Grnidwitch, I use 'Faith in Nature' shampoo and conditioner as there are no horrid chemicals that kill the environment in them! I use a clynol ID smoothing lotion before drying and tresemee heat protect spray before straightening.

I am pleased with the cut and will be able to grow it down over the summer.

Cherriexo - my tattoos are not the authentic thing either - but they're staying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner